SRAM vs SHimano

Old August 25th 03, 09:37 PM
Edward Holt

Default SRAM vs SHimano

I'm about to change my rapid fire Shimano selectors to SRAM Rockets which
are Shimano compatible.
Personally, I prefer Grip Shift changing rather than the Shimano option.

As it's quite a big change I'm interested in other's opinions on the SRAM
vs. Shimano component debate.

Is there any distinct benefit in either camp?

Old August 26th 03, 03:59 AM
mjm

"The Nelson Paradigm" wrote in message
"Edward Holt" wrote in message
| I'm about to change my rapid fire Shimano selectors to SRAM Rockets

which
| are Shimano compatible.
| Personally, I prefer Grip Shift changing rather than the Shimano option.
|
| As it's quite a big change I'm interested in other's opinions on the

SRAM
| vs. Shimano component debate.
|
| Is there any distinct benefit in either camp?

It's apples or oranges IMHO. I personally don't like GripShifters, but my
wife swears by them. Go with what you are comfortable with and works for
your situation. You can accidentally shift a GS more often but I think
that's just the anti-SRAM crowd blowing smoke.

BTW - Thumbshifters rule, others drool

What sort of grip shifters are you looking to get? I have some from my old
bike that aren't doing me any good any more.. They are 8 speed I believe.
Actually I have a whole load of parts. I cracked the frame so I figured I
might as well get a new bike rather than the hassle of fixing the old one.

Old August 26th 03, 09:51 PM
Chris Garwood

You've got my attention - what is the benefit in that case?

I've always been a grip shift fan but have always used SRAM Rockets with
Shimano Mech's, I have a Titus Switchblade and like all FSR designs it
has a low chain stay ... and the rear mech kept slapping into it,
annoying as hell, went mad and bought SRAM XO for one reason really, the
mech has ZERO forward movement, so it cannot move forward and slap into
the chain stays the, all the movement is handled by the mechs main body
being a parrelagram rather than Shimanos method of the body moving
sideways and the up and down at the same time ... because of this the
mech can have a higher tension

I hope I made that clear, on a specialized FSR a shimano mech can slap
the chain stays, a SRAM can't

The cable pull is supposed to be 1:1 rather than 1:2 which is supposed
to be better .. but somebody else will need to explain that one as I
hain't got a change

You can now get trigger shifters in the X.7 and X.9 that work with
shimano mechs

Cheers

Chris

Live fast, crash faster

http://www.mtbbikes.co.uk

Old August 27th 03, 07:55 AM
bomba

Edward Holt wrote:

The realy benift is in changing the rear derailleur to a SRAM ESP and
the matching shifter.

You've got my attention - what is the benefit in that case?

My understanding is, that because Shimano uses a 1:2 ratio, the setup
has to be quite precise. Small changes in cable length can make bigger
changes at the rear mech.

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Old August 27th 03, 06:08 PM
Spider

"Edward Holt" wrote in message .. .
I'm about to change my rapid fire Shimano selectors to SRAM Rockets which
are Shimano compatible.
Personally, I prefer Grip Shift changing rather than the Shimano option.

As it's quite a big change I'm interested in other's opinions on the SRAM
vs. Shimano component debate.

Is there any distinct benefit in either camp?

I have always had a problem with Shimano shifters for two reasons:

1.) I accidentally actuate them all the damn time, because I move my
hands on the grips a lot while riding. With GripShift (Rockets) which
have a short twist portion, I can get my hands completely off the
twisty part and still have full brake control. Control is good.

2.) With Shimano triggers or any indexed Shimano shifter, I cannot
change a lot of rear at one shot. I find myself switching down three
or four cogs at a time, and that takes time - sometimes time I don't
have - with Shimano indexed shifters.

Now those are the major reasons. A minor reason is that a few of the
Shimano shifters that I have had are also integrated with the brakes.
So, if you crash and bust off the brake lever, you get to buy a whole
new group, and change out TWO cable sets, AND do another derailleur
adjustment. OK, maybe not change out the cables, but you still have
to take the whole damn thing apart to thread the inner wire through
the new shifter/brake, so you may as well change the cable. Not a
huge deal, but annoying. And there's the expense of it...

OK, it's a ramble, and a few days of reading for some of the more
"challenged" in a.m-b., but you get the general picture. Some folks
just hate GripShift. They work for me, and I'm not going to change
because some tall fool doesn't like them. **** him and the whores he
rode in on. But he does have one thing right - Anything to make a
bike Shimano-free is a good thing. Next upgrade I'm gonna ditch the
Shimano and go Raceface/SRAM/CK.

Spider
Old August 27th 03, 10:33 PM

Well if you want you could go with a new Sram ESP rear
derailleur of your liking. Or you can keep what you got and use
Sram Attack Grip Shifter or you can go for the Rock- ets which is
super fast because of up shift and down shift springs. I have all SRAM
Grip Shift- ers total 6 ESPand non. I have a few Shimano derailleurs
Acera X ,Alivio, and LX and when their gone they will be upgraded but
with Sram.

Fire up MTB 03

Old August 28th 03, 03:40 PM
Shaun Rimmer