Gluing tubes to tubes

Old January 30th 05, 07:28 PM
Ted

Default Gluing tubes to tubes

Anybody know what sort of glue to use to glue pieces of a tube together?

The project is fabricating a small bellows of a rectangular shape.

Obligatory bike content: I'm using some of that pile of old tubes in my
garage which can't be patched.

Ted

--
Ted Bennett
Portland, OR
Old January 30th 05, 08:13 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Ted" wrote: Anybody know what sort of glue to use to glue pieces of a tube
together? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Contact cement. The kind that you apply to both surfaces and allow to dry
before pressing closed.

Old January 30th 05, 08:42 PM
Werehatrack

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:28:14 GMT, Ted may
have said:

Anybody know what sort of glue to use to glue pieces of a tube together?

The project is fabricating a small bellows of a rectangular shape.

Obligatory bike content: I'm using some of that pile of old tubes in my
garage which can't be patched.

Clean the surfaces throughly and you can use regular tire patch glue
or rubber cement. If you ant a more aggressive adhesive, Barge cement
(used by shoemakers, among others) can be had from most places that
sell supplies for leather work.

I just use upholstery vinyl for the flexible part of a bellows; it's
cheap, easy to work with, and readily available at nearly any fabric
shop.

Old January 30th 05, 09:29 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Ted wrote:
Anybody know what sort of glue to use to glue pieces of a tube together?

The project is fabricating a small bellows of a rectangular shape.

Obligatory bike content: I'm using some of that pile of old tubes in my
garage which can't be patched.

There's a type of Superglue (a Loctite trademark) made for rubber.
Old January 31st 05, 01:53 AM

Ted wrote:
Anybody know what sort of glue to use to glue pieces of a tube

together?

The project is fabricating a small bellows of a rectangular shape.

Obligatory bike content: I'm using some of that pile of old tubes in

my
garage which can't be patched.

Ted

Ted: Head out to Fabric Depot, out at 122nd & Stark. They've got all
sorts of fabric supplies, including airtight fabrics and glues.

If you're still set on using up those old tubes, use rubber cement.
BTW: I've got a collection of dead inner tubes, too. Want 'em?

Obligatory bike content: Fabric Depot is where we get the fabric for
our bodysocks:
http://www.pacifier.com/~jwills/spri...ringride49.htm
Jeff

Old January 31st 05, 03:13 AM
Tom Sherman

Jeff Wills wrote:

Obligatory bike content: Fabric Depot is where we get the fabric for
our bodysocks:
http://www.pacifier.com/~jwills/spri...ringride49.htm

Are these machine sewn, on a Serger perhaps? [1]

Any fabric that stretches and is waterproof? I was thinking about making
a winter use trike sock.

[1] Sewing a bodysock by hand is not recommended unless one is a
starving student (been there, done that, got the sock).

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old January 31st 05, 04:36 AM

Tom Sherman wrote:
Jeff Wills wrote:

Obligatory bike content: Fabric Depot is where we get the fabric

for
our bodysocks:

http://www.pacifier.com/~jwills/spri...ringride49.htm

Are these machine sewn, on a Serger perhaps? [1]

Any fabric that stretches and is waterproof? I was thinking about

making
a winter use trike sock.

[1] Sewing a bodysock by hand is not recommended unless one is a
starving student (been there, done that, got the sock).

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

In general, body socks here are not waterproof. (I've heard of Darlexx
'socks, but never seen one.) The preference is for four-way stretch
Lycra, but two-way works for the large panels, with a little of the
four-way spliced in to tension the fabric in all directions. The yellow
'sock withthe black stripe is like this.

A couple local ladies are set up with sewing machines, and are going
bananas creating socks for themselves and others. I'm pretty sure
they're serger machines, but I dunno for sure. The biggest problem is
having a sewing room big enough for fitting the bike. We've had great
fun picking out Lycra prints at Fabric Depot. At some point I'll come
up with the money for a gold metallic 'sock:
http://www.denverfabrics.com/Merchan...y_Code=HoloMet
Viva Las Vegas!

Jeff

Old January 31st 05, 04:52 AM

On 30 Jan 2005 19:36:53 -0800, wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:
Jeff Wills wrote:

[...]

Dear Mr. Kent,

We regret that you found our fitting room "almost as cramped
as a phone booth."

Yes, we do offer a bulk discount for blue body stockings
embroidered with the letter "S", but no, we do not sell red
capes or boots.

We recommend Lex Luthor's Puss-in-Boots Bespoke Cape and
Legwear for the latter.

Sincerely,

Denver Fabrics
Old January 31st 05, 06:22 AM
Tom Sherman

Jeff Wills wrote:

... We've had great
fun picking out Lycra prints at Fabric Depot. At some point I'll come
up with the money for a gold metallic 'sock:
http://www.denverfabrics.com/Merchan...y_Code=HoloMet
Viva Las Vegas!

How about the "Foil Snake Print", "Tropical Floral Print" or "Sunset
Print": http://www.paragonpatterns.com/Fabric/Knits/lycra.html?

Why do the online fabric sellers specify products as being suitable for
swimwear, dancewear, etc., but not for bodysock use?

--
Tom Sherman - Earth