Maine to California (step one)

Old November 5th 05, 03:38 AM
sockmonster

Default Maine to California (step one)

So, my mom asked me what I was doing with my life the other day.

"Are you going to get back into school? (I dropped out for financial
reasons) Are you going to move to New Hampshire? (My friend and his
wife are renting a house) Are you going to stay here and work? (I work
in a pharmacy and kind of hate it) Or is there some other option I
don't know about?"

"I was kind of thinking about riding a unicycle from Canada to Mexico,
then writing a book about it," I told her, only half serious. I'd been
on a few rides on my 24" where I didn't really want to turn back and go
home, but, eventually, I had to. The fantasy of some 3500 mile uni-trek
was lively in my mind.

"Better yet, you should ride from -Maine- to Mexico!"

"Well, I -was- going to take the -long- way to Mexico..."

"I think that's a great idea, Max. If you're ever going to do it, you
hsould do it now."

So, I have my maps, I've circled Eastport and Imperial Beach, but I
don't have a uni that can handle the journey. I'm sort of looking for
recommendations here. My first thought was to build a 26" with an air
saddle and a suspension seat post, but my brother said it would be
foolish to do it on anything other than a Coker.

Now, I know there are tons of Coker enthusiast out there, and they are,
without a doubt, the most road-worthy unicycle on the market. Myself,
I've never even seen one up close, much less ride one, so I can only
imagine the feel of one of those beasts. My reservations about getting
a Coker for this trip are as follow:
- A unicycle so purpose built for distance may seem like cheating.
- I'd have to cross the Rockies and the Appalachians. Doesn't seem like
climbing would be it's strong suit.
- If the tire (probably) and tube (certainly, many times) are ruined, I
think I'd be stranded somewhere for a few days until a replacement is
delivered.
- They've got cotterless cranks. Fine for commuting, but I think I'd
feel more comfortable on the road with a splined set up.

I have similar feelings about a 29" or, really, anything larger than a
26. Of course, the trouble with a 26 is trying to cover as much ground
as you can before your crotch gives out for the day, and you're in a
tent somewhere sitting on your instant cold pack.

I'm staring this down for 2006 if unicycling properly motivates me, or
2007 if I'm still committed to the cause. This is, in my mind, step
one- equipping myself with the proper vehicle. After this comes the
financing, but I'll concern myself with that later. Your thoughts?

-Max

--
sockmonster

"Just pretend it's a taco..." Invader Zim
sockmonster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4286

Old November 5th 05, 03:51 AM
Murde Mental

Go for it man. I know the feeling. I've always had this "wanting to
escape" feeling in my bones... I'm still considering what I want to do
with my life but everytime I try to there's always this thought that
pops up: "Wander, explore, learn, live"... I'm pumped for you man.

As far as unicycles go though I think you would get a much better "feel
for the road" on a Coker... the slowness of a 26" (not much faster than
a quick walk when riding comfortably... ok maybe a light jogg) might
get you down. I'd deffinatly go for a Coker... I've ridden one and
trust me it's the sort of machine that you just FEEL could take you
places. As far as tubes go there's always the "going tubeless" option
I've heard many people talk about... or patches. No matter what option
you chose you WILL run into problems though, but then again... isin't
that what makes it so exiting? A real life experience...

There WAS this guy that rode across the states on a Coker to raise
money for cancer research.. I should search him up...

Owen (still trying to make up his mind about his future...)

--
Murde Mental

I own Total_Uni's soul
and yes this means I also own your soul Evan_Byrne.
Murde Mental's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4463

Old November 5th 05, 03:57 AM
sockmonster

Murde Mental wrote:
I'm still considering what I want to do with my life

Owen (still trying to make up his mind about his future...)

Dude, your 16. You have at least another 15 years before you're
expected to have something accomplished. I wouldn't worry too much
about what you want to do with your life. Just learn everything you can
for now. You have plenty of time to decide what comes after that.

Old November 5th 05, 04:17 AM
Murde Mental

I'd agree... but there seems to be constant pressure on me to make up my
mind. Hell, I'm treated at least three times a week to a "so what do
you want to do with your life" question from my parents. I've got to
chose which path of studies I want to follow to acheive that goal
also... Right now I'm in pure and applied sciences but that doesn't
seem to cut it for me... anyways yeah, I need to form some sort of idea
atleast... well I do but it conflicts with alot of things. I guess
you're right though. I should deffinatly start thinking about it but
I'm not in a rush to find the answer know what I mean?

ANYWAYS :P back to the unicycle question...

A coker with 175" cranks is very versatile. It's very possible to do
fairly technical muni on them (just look at TWNR). I wouldn't worry
about breaking them either you can get stronger square-tapers than the
stock ones.

he I searched up these websites for inspiration:

http://www.onewheel.org/

There was another one with an interesting picture of the guy's set-up
but I can't seem to find it...

Old November 5th 05, 04:21 AM
abbabibble

all you'd really need is to get an upgraded coker and buy a splined hub
separately, then go and switch out the hubs and cranks.

or talk with the guys at UDC. i'm sure they'd help you as much as they
could.

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Mat.
-----------------------
SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS TODAY!!!
http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
--"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

Old November 5th 05, 04:34 AM
sockmonster

It's been a while since I've checked the forums, but I remember reading
some stuff about a prototype UNI.5 hub that could make a 26 perform
like a hypothetical 39". What ever happened to that? Anyone have any
information?

Old November 5th 05, 06:06 AM
tomblackwood

sockmonster wrote:
My brother said it would be foolish to do it on anything other than a
Coker. My reservations about getting a Coker for this trip are as
follow:
- A unicycle so purpose built for distance may seem like cheating.
- I'd have to cross the Rockies. Doesn't seem like climbing would be
it's strong suit.
- If the tire (probably) and tube (certainly, many times) are ruined, I
think I'd be stranded somewhere for a few days until a replacement is
delivered.
- They've got cotterless cranks. Fine for commuting, but I think I'd
feel more comfortable on the road with a splined set up.

So if you go for it, best of luck. That's an adventure I wish I could
make.

To your questions above, here's the scoop. Your brother is correct.
Your ride should be a Coker. To the other points: Riding a friggin
unicycle OF ANY SORT across the country is hardly "cheating". You'd be
joining a club of like 3 members. On the climbing, you will learn to
do this, and the Coker will be superior. Search on threads by Aspenmike
if you don't believe. Yup, the tire/tube is a bit of a risk. Are you
planning on being completely unsupported? If so, carry a spare tube,
and make sure it's a 29-er, not a Coker. Second, buy a spare Coker tire
just in case, fold it into a Fed-X box, get a prepaid shipper, and
leave it with your parents so all they have to do is fill out the
address of whatever town you're stranded in. But reality is, you
probably won't need an emergency replacement...you'll be having them
send it to some town that's 300 miles in your future when your current
tire starts getting bald. On the last point, there is no reason you
need a splined setup for a cross country road journey. You'd be better
with square-taper hup, and two sets of cranks one very short for the
Great Plains, and some 140s or 150s for getting over the mountains.

If you pick your route correctly, you don't have to do any high Rockies
peaks. You might consider spending some time on old Route 66... That
could be a kick.

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...

Old November 5th 05, 06:19 AM
abbabibble

also be sure to bring a camera, plenty of extra memory cards, and plenty
of extra batteries.
oh, and underwear and about five million pairs of bike shorts.

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Mat.
-----------------------

Old November 5th 05, 06:24 AM
tomblackwood

abbabibble wrote:
also be sure to bring a camera, plenty of extra memory cards, and plenty
of extra batteries. and about five million pairs of bike shorts.

You might be able to get away with just two pairs to alternate. More
important than 5 million pairs of shorts is having one Visa or
Mastercard. When your shorts get thin, stop at an LBS and buy a new
pair. Don't carry anything you don't need to.

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...

Old November 5th 05, 06:26 AM
abbabibble

if you all havent noticed by now, when i exaggerate i tend to use terms
such as "five million" or "thousands..."

that actually seems like a really good idea. i should learn to do that
kind of thing...

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Mat.