Probably not news to us in this group.

Old November 12th 18, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

Default Probably not news to us in this group.

https://bit.ly/2B0tMhW
Old November 12th 18, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 12/11/2018 09:58, Peter Keller wrote:

https://bit.ly/2B0tMhW

QUOTE (headline):
Data From Millions Of Smartphone Journeys Proves Cyclists Faster In
Cities Than Cars And Motorbikes
ENDQUOTE

Do they really mean "in cities", where the word "in" would be better
expressed as "within"?

Or do they mean "in city centres liable to congestion, especially where
traffic is deliberately hampered and hobbled by the highway authority"?

The reason I ask is because it is possible to envisage a journey within
a city area, for example:

(a) Sylmar to Irvine (Los Angeles), 77+ miles along the I-405
(alternatively I-5), or

(b) Speke John Lennon Airport to Maghull (Liverpool) 18+ miles along
A562 / A5300 / M57 / A59, or

(c) Katy, TX to McNair (Houston (TX)), 50+ miles largely along I-10...

....all of which would be far quicker by car, despite the existence of
non-motorway/freeway routes just as direct (or even more direct) as
those mentioned above.

I have only asked in relation to locations and routes with which I am
familiar. I have no doubt that plenty of others could be identified.

Old November 12th 18, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 11:37:54 GMT, JNugent wrote:

[...]

Probably it means In General, not that /every/ journey would be faster by
bike. Sheesh.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old November 12th 18, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 12/11/2018 11:50, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
[...]

If it *does* mean "in general", as you suggest, it is nonsense. Most
journeys are not along routes where the highway authority seeks to
prevent movement, even in cities.
Old November 12th 18, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Peter Keller wrote:
https://bit.ly/2B0tMhW

In the cold, the dark and the rain ****ing down?
You are what you are, you are a cyclist - low life poverty scum.

Old November 12th 18, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 12/11/2018 16:59, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Peter Keller wrote:

https://bit.ly/2B0tMhW

In the cold, the dark and the rain ****ing down?
You are what you are, you are a cyclist - low life poverty scum.

I liked the ihe illustration, which showed a cyclist delivering pizza,
or something, anything, on a bike.

Of course, that McJob makes him Considerably Richer Than Yow.
Old November 12th 18, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 22:58:40 +1300, Peter Keller
wrote:

https://bit.ly/2B0tMhW

Proof that in the centre of some crowded cities only fit young
antisocial bicyclists willing to disregard traffic laws, red lights
riding on pavements or whatever else suits them can reach their
destination carrying a small pizza as sweat soaked smelly creatures a
few seconds quicker than someone on a motorbike.

I think we all knew this.
Old November 12th 18, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

https://bit.ly/2B0tMhW

Proof that in the centre of some crowded cities only fit young
antisocial bicyclists willing to disregard traffic laws, red lights
riding on pavements or whatever else suits them can reach their
destination carrying a small pizza as sweat soaked smelly creatures a
few seconds quicker than someone on a motorbike.

I think we all knew this.

We all know this as well!

Time to wheel out:

Speeding, parking the wrong way at night, on yellow lines, on zig zags, outside schools, pavement parking, obstructing traffic by inconsiderate parking, driving while drunk, on mobile phones, with no car tax, no licence, no insurance, no MOT, illegal plates, overtaking on double lines, due care, bald tyres, faulty brakes, one eyed monsters, no rear lights, no brake lights, no indicators, fog light abuse, faulty steering, windscreen obscuration, darkly tinted windows, child seat abuse, no seatbelts, insecure load, one way street abuse, amber/red light jumping, cycle box abuse, bus lane abuse, box junction abuse, death by dangerous driving, excess smoke and noise from exhaust, duff suspension, leaking oil, cash for crash fiddles, underage child in front, lights causing glare, over weight limit, ignoring no entry signs, parking without permit, not having control of your vehicle, improper use of horn, using horn at night, no in date photo licence, no licence application after long ban, without prescribed eyewear, failing to stop for police/lollipop/zebra etc - ran out of space.

Old November 12th 18, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 4:59:06 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

In the cold, the dark and the rain ****ing down?

No one is interested in your domestic situation.

Old November 12th 18, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Peter Keller wrote:

https://bit.ly/2B0tMhW

In the cold, the dark and the rain ****ing down?
You are what you are, you are a cyclist - low life poverty scum.

I liked the ihe illustration, which showed a cyclist delivering pizza,
or something, anything, on a bike.

Of course, that McJob makes him Considerably Richer Than Yow.

What do Canadian Airports have to do with it?