Panniers vs. Trailers?

Old July 20th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Jon Forrest

Default Panniers vs. Trailers?

I'd like to hear what people think of the strengths and weaknesses
of using panniers versus trailers for long bike trips. I'm
especially interested in safety and security issues (e.g. falling
over because of panniers/trailers, keeping lowlifes from
stealing your stuff).

--Jon-
Old July 20th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chuck Anderson

Jon Forrest wrote:
I'd like to hear what people think of the strengths and weaknesses
of using panniers versus trailers for long bike trips. I'm
especially interested in safety and security issues (e.g. falling
over because of panniers/trailers, keeping lowlifes from
stealing your stuff).

--Jon-

I, myself, simply prefer panniers over a trailer. The solution to
falling over is a good Greenlee kickstand (and a brake lock - rubber
band or brake chuck).

One actual advantage, I suppose, is if you need to use public
transportation (bus, train, or airplane). Panniers are a lot less hassle
and you're more likely to get on.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old July 21st 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Jon Forrest

Chuck Anderson wrote:

I, myself, simply prefer panniers over a trailer. The solution to
falling over is a good Greenlee kickstand (and a brake lock - rubber
band or brake chuck).

I meant falling over while riding. I've never tried a trailer but
I'm thinking that maybe they're awkward to pull. I don't really know.

--Jon-
Old July 21st 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Mike Vermeulen

I'd like to hear what people think of the strengths and weaknesses
of using panniers versus trailers for long bike trips.

Note that Adventure Cycling has covered this topic a few times. Here are
two quick links I found:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/reso...trailer_03.pdf
http://www.adventurecycling.org/features/bigdebate.cfm

For me personally, I've done almost all of my touring with panniers so am
biased by what is familiar. I do carry stuff on local commuting rides
with a Bob trailer.

I'm especially interested in safety and security issues (e.g. falling
over because of panniers/trailers, keeping lowlifes from stealing your
stuff).

I haven't seen much difference in safety issues when I've ridden with
either (handling is different than an unloaded bike w/o trailer but you
get used to that). I've also been fortunate on security issues.

Old July 21st 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chuck Anderson

Jon Forrest wrote:
Chuck Anderson wrote:

I, myself, simply prefer panniers over a trailer. The solution to
falling over is a good Greenlee kickstand (and a brake lock - rubber
band or brake chuck).

I meant falling over while riding.

The first time I rode my bike fully loaded, I did nearly fall down ô¿Ô¬
I've never tried a trailer but
I'm thinking that maybe they're awkward to pull. I don't really know.

I've always toured with panniers.

I have pulled my grand daughter around in a trailer, though (she weighed
50 pounds the last time I did it). Perhaps you get used to some kind of
compensating cadence, but I felt tugging from the trailer at times when
I had to pull hard.

Fully loaded panniers do feel awkward ... at first. At the beginning of
my very first tour it felt like I was not going to be able to drink from
my water bottle without stopping. It took me less than a day to get
used to it, though (two rear panniers). When I stepped up to 4 panniers
while going across Europe I was eventually able to ride no handed (and
quite honestly, it was after sharing a bottle or two of Austrian wine
with some afternoon partiers - so I think it was a matter of relaxed
confidence .... but I digressh).

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old July 21st 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Jon Forrest

Mike Vermeulen wrote:
I'd like to hear what people think of the strengths and weaknesses
of using panniers versus trailers for long bike trips.

Note that Adventure Cycling has covered this topic a few times. Here are
two quick links I found:

No doubt but it's always interesting to get other opinions,
especially from a group like rec.bicycles.rides which is
full of people with strong opinions.

--Jon-
Old July 30th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
fastturtle

The most stable solution is probably a 2-wheel trailer. But these may
add significant air resistance, and they may be too wide to pass through
some "bicycle facilities". A trailer also adds its own weight to pull.

With panniers or a single-wheel trailer (Bob Yak), it is very much a
matter of how much load you carry and how you balance it.
With my regular touring bike, I tend to prefer panniers, front and back,
but I have to be careful to put enough load on the front. As for
falling: I've let loaded my bike fall several times when stopped, but
never fell while riding. The Yak, on the other hand, feels a little odd
with this bike.
With our tandem, we tried both solutions earlier this month. With
front+back panniers I had real difficulties riding straight. So we
switched to lightly loaded rear panniers + Yak, and it behaved like a
dream. Now the Yak is a nightmare for one thing, which is manoeuvering
your "train" when off the bike. If you make too steep a turn, the trailer
will force the whole thing down to the ground.

Turtle

Old July 31st 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Thomas Wentworth

I used both one summer ......... what a misstake. I felt like I was pulling
the tractor at the fair and carrying my belongings to boot.

Now, I am a simple pannier guy. Just a couple of old panniers, one pup
tent, a sleeping bag, and a pad...

"Jon Forrest" wrote in message
I'd like to hear what people think of the strengths and weaknesses
of using panniers versus trailers for long bike trips. I'm
especially interested in safety and security issues (e.g. falling
over because of panniers/trailers, keeping lowlifes from
stealing your stuff).

--Jon-

Trailers vs Panniers & ³How to Bike America² Martin Krieg Rides 3 October 5th 04 07:47 PM
re; racks for panniers DJ Australia 1 October 1st 04 12:00 AM
panniers vs trailers Richard Goodman UK 11 March 25th 04 10:37 PM
Karrimor EH20 Waterproof Panniers - Global Sarennah UK 3 January 15th 04 05:40 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM