Flakey handlebars - bike is only 8 months old!

Old October 8th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Flakey handlebars - bike is only 8 months old!

I am sad to say, some type of coating is flaking off my handlebars. It
is only happening on the left side, and only on the top:

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/...bar-flake2.jpg

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/...bar-flake3.jpg

What is the most likely cause of this?

What type of metal are we talking about?

Do I have an issue with the bike mfr (Electra), or is this just what
cheap handlebars do?

I don't want to complain to Electra and Rapid Transit Cycleshop, only
to get a replacement which does exactly the same thing, 8 months
later. I think I might like black handlebars, anyway. Any suggestions
about a quality replacement? Weight is not an issue.

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/...yal8-08-08.jpg

J.
Old October 8th 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Oct 8, 2:21*pm, " wrote:
I am sad to say, some type of coating is flaking off my handlebars. It
is only happening on the left side, and only on the top:

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/...bar-flake2.jpg

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/...bar-flake3.jpg

What is the most likely cause of this?

What type of metal are we talking about?

Do I have an issue with the bike mfr (Electra), or is this just what
cheap handlebars do?

I don't want to complain to Electra and Rapid Transit Cycleshop, only
to get a replacement which does exactly the same thing, 8 months
later. I think I might like black handlebars, anyway. Any suggestions
about a quality replacement? Weight is not an issue.

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/...yal8-08-08.jpg

J.

Nitto makes many aluminum bars with classic bends. Also have a look at
Wald. Their #8095 is a classic touring bar in chrome steel for dirt
cheap if you want real shiny--TBH, Rapid Transit shouldn't mind
getting you one on the house instead of the Electra one to make things
right. It'll be narrower.
Old October 8th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jay[_2_]

"landotter" wrote in message

Nitto makes many aluminum bars with classic bends. Also have a look at
Wald. Their #8095 is a classic touring bar in chrome steel for dirt
cheap if you want real shiny--TBH, Rapid Transit shouldn't mind
getting you one on the house instead of the Electra one to make things
right. It'll be narrower.

Yes, I think I might change the style a bit. Because when I turn sharply, my
knees tend to bump into the handlebars, if I am not careful. This is not a
huge concern for me, but it has made my 'minor-annoyance' list.

J.

Old October 8th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PatTX

I think you should go back to the shop and tell them what is happening. You
just might hear a "Oh yes, we've heard of that problem and here is the
handlebar we've received to fix it."

It's worth trying....

Pat in TX

Old October 9th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Flaky handlebars - bike is only 8 months old!

aka Jay "Intrepid Commuter" Bollyn wrote:
I am sad to say, some type of coating is flaking off my handlebars. It
is only happening on the left side, and only on the top:

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/...bar-flake2.jpg

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/...bar-flake3.jpg

What is the most likely cause of this?

What type of metal are we talking about?

The probable suspect is that the chrome plating was done improperly,
leaving microscopic "pin holes". Salts dissolved in water (e.g. sweat,
slush spray) get under the chrome, and the corrosion products cause the
plating to spall off.

Do I have an issue with the bike mfr (Electra), or is this just what
cheap handlebars do?

Since the bike cost more than Sprawl-Mart prices, the plating should
last longer than 8 months, even under the conditions of Chicagoland
winter commuting.

I don't want to complain to Electra and Rapid Transit Cycleshop, only
to get a replacement which does exactly the same thing, 8 months
later. I think I might like black handlebars, anyway. Any suggestions
about a quality replacement? Weight is not an issue.

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/...yal8-08-08.jpg

Stainless steel or aluminium alloy would be better choices than chrome
plated steel. A quality powder coating (e.g. black handlebars) should
also help.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.
Old October 9th 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Oct 8, 8:53*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
aka Jay "Intrepid Commuter" Bollyn wrote: I am sad to say, some type of coating is flaking off my handlebars. It
[...]

Everyone and their mother in dank Europe rides chrome steel bars.
Touch them up every 7-8 years with steel wool to keep them shiny if
you're a neat freak.

Last time I was in Rapid transit they had alloy NR bars, but they're
narrower still than the 8095s. Priest bars or something from Velo
Orange might be worth a try. Non-wrapped bars are so quick to swap
that why not collect bars like some folk collect watches? When you
tire of one set stop by Rapid transit and have them swap them out
really quick for a weeks riding using compressed air for the grips.
Takes five minutes. Tip the wrenches five bucks and some beer.

Old October 9th 08, 12:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

"landotter" wrote:
On Oct 8, 8:53 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
[...]

Do the Europeans go crazy on road salt the way Chicagoland does?

I have plenty of bicycles (and other objects) with pitted and rusting
chromed steel parts.

I also once has a nickel plated bicycle that suffered from rusting at
the pinholes.

Old October 10th 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jay[_2_]

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, but I have not even gone through a winter yet! This bike was new in
March.

Because of my frame design and frame size, I think I am fairly locked into
my current handlebar style. My frame encourages an upright (heads up) riding
posture, with my weight shifted to the rear. So if I want a little extra
effort for a hill, I need to pull back on the grips. My current handlebar
style is well-suited for that.

I can't find anything like my current handlebar style in black, regardless
of price. It seems like most black handlebars are drop style, mountain bike,
BMX, whatever. They all would require my weight to be shifted forward, which
IMO is incompatible with my frame design.

Please let me know if I am missing something obvious.

J.

Old October 10th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jay Bollyn wrote:
[...]

Please Honor The Signature Separator.

Yes, but I have not even gone through a winter yet! This bike was new in
March.

Maybe bad prep that caused corrosion and the chrome to spall? In that
case, definitely a defect that should be replaced by the manufacturer.

Because of my frame design and frame size, I think I am fairly locked into
my current handlebar style. My frame encourages an upright (heads up) riding
posture, with my weight shifted to the rear. So if I want a little extra
effort for a hill, I need to pull back on the grips. My current handlebar
style is well-suited for that.

I can't find anything like my current handlebar style in black, regardless
of price. It seems like most black handlebars are drop style, mountain bike,
BMX, whatever. They all would require my weight to be shifted forward, which
IMO is incompatible with my frame design.

Please let me know if I am missing something obvious.

Nitto makes aluminium alloy "north road bars" (made in Japan) as does
Pyramid (origin unknown).

Google Shopping indicated that Harris Cyclery has a good price (sorry
Ozark Bicycle) on these:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/handlebars/index.html#handlebarsup.
Rapid Transit should be able to get either.