A man of 62 years prepares for 14,000 mile ride

Old March 13th 05, 06:13 PM
Ken Marcet

Default A man of 62 years prepares for 14,000 mile ride

14,000 wow! I wish I could ride like this guy! Actually he only plans to
ride about 300 miles a week. But still!
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky...l/11123858.htm
I need to get out and ride more this guy would kick my butt and he is almost
twice my age!

Ken
--
More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/
And my homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Old March 14th 05, 01:38 PM
Peter Cole

Ken Marcet wrote:
14,000 wow! I wish I could ride like this guy! Actually he only plans

ride about 300 miles a week. But still!
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky...l/11123858.htm
I need to get out and ride more this guy would kick my butt and he is

almost
twice my age!

This guy's riding is pretty modest. Do a little reading on
ultra-cycling, and you'll be surprised. Your ideas about age need a
little updating.

Old March 14th 05, 01:46 PM
Ken Marcet

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ken Marcet wrote:
14,000 wow! I wish I could ride like this guy! Actually he only plans

ride about 300 miles a week. But still!
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky...l/11123858.htm
I need to get out and ride more this guy would kick my butt and he is

almost
twice my age!

This guy's riding is pretty modest. Do a little reading on
ultra-cycling, and you'll be surprised. Your ideas about age need a
little updating.

My ideas about age? I don't follow you. This guy is 62, I am 32. He is
almost twice my age.
And yeah it seems to me that 300 miles a weeks is on the low side for
touring, but I don't think I could do 300 miles a week right now. So he
could kick my butt! For now, but I am sure with more training I could do
more than 300 a week.

Ken

Old March 14th 05, 02:08 PM
Neil Cherry

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:46:14 -0500, Ken Marcet wrote:

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ken Marcet wrote:
14,000 wow! I wish I could ride like this guy! Actually he only plans

ride about 300 miles a week. But still!
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky...l/11123858.htm
I need to get out and ride more this guy would kick my butt and he is

almost
twice my age!

This guy's riding is pretty modest. Do a little reading on
ultra-cycling, and you'll be surprised. Your ideas about age need a
little updating.

My ideas about age? I don't follow you. This guy is 62, I am 32. He is
almost twice my age.
And yeah it seems to me that 300 miles a weeks is on the low side for
touring, but I don't think I could do 300 miles a week right now. So he
could kick my butt! For now, but I am sure with more training I could do
more than 300 a week.

I won't knock the mileage as it's more than I do!

I know a lady who we nicknamed Boots (Hi Lilian!). She road 19K in one
year and has emphysema. The nickname comes from the fact that she'd
ride with stylish high heeled boots. She eventually switched to
cycling shoes but I've seen here on many occasions riding in the
boot. I won't say here age (lady's prerogative) but she has my
respect!

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
Old March 14th 05, 02:09 PM
Maggie

Peter Cole wrote:
Ken Marcet wrote:
14,000 wow! I wish I could ride like this guy! Actually he only

plans
ride about 300 miles a week. But still!
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky...l/11123858.htm
I need to get out and ride more this guy would kick my butt and he

is
almost
twice my age!

This guy's riding is pretty modest. Do a little reading on
ultra-cycling, and you'll be surprised. Your ideas about age need a
little updating.

Who has the time to ride 300 miles a week? I have a short commute to
work adding up to about 6 miles at most, I work 8:00 a.m. to 5:00. I
also run my own business which takes up most of my Saturdays.

I read an article about ultra-cycling and it gave training points for
people who just do NOT have the time to train that hard. Most people do
not have that amount of time per week. Maybe if I were independently
wealthy, did not have the responsibility of a home and family or was
homeless with a great bike, I could accomplish 300 miles a week....but
I don't think the average person can do it.

The trainers were discussing how to make the most out of the time you
do have to train. So I don't think the guy's riding is modest. I think
it a hell of a lot of riding every week.

As far as age is concerned....when I was in young, people in my opinion
became ancient at 40. Views concerning age change as you yourself age.
When I was 20 years old, someone in their 40's or 50's was an "OLD
PERSON." Time changes that thought process. Now those guys in their
60's look mean and lean to me. ;-) How did those old people get so
hot?
All good things,
Maggie

Old March 14th 05, 02:52 PM
Peter Cole

Ken Marcet wrote:
"Peter Cole" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ken Marcet wrote:
[...]

I'm sure you could. You seemed to be surprised that a 62 yo could beat
you. I'd bet that even after lots & lots of training there will still
be a lot of 62 yo people that could beat you.

Old March 14th 05, 03:00 PM
Peter Cole

Maggie wrote:

Who has the time to ride 300 miles a week? I have a short commute to
work adding up to about 6 miles at most, I work 8:00 a.m. to 5:00. I
also run my own business which takes up most of my Saturdays.

Working 2 jobs doesn't leave much time for anything else. I know lots
of people that work single jobs and have the time to ride 200 mi/wk. I
knew one guy who rode 1,000 mi/wk while working a full time job, but he
was a national champion.

The trainers were discussing how to make the most out of the time you
do have to train. So I don't think the guy's riding is modest. I

think
it a hell of a lot of riding every week.

It's modest if you're riding full time, like the guy in the OP's
article. That's a very slow touring pace.

As far as age is concerned....when I was in young, people in my

opinion
became ancient at 40. Views concerning age change as you yourself

age.
When I was 20 years old, someone in their 40's or 50's was an "OLD
PERSON." Time changes that thought process.

Health and fitness play the biggest part. There are a lot of young
people living in old bodies these days. It's really sad.

Old March 14th 05, 03:01 PM
Ken Marcet

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ken Marcet wrote:
"Peter Cole" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ken Marcet wrote:
[...]

I am not surprised by his age, heck 62 is the new middle aged! And I know
there are lots of people in that age range that could kick my butt!

Ken

Old March 14th 05, 03:05 PM
Ken Marcet

"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Peter Cole wrote:
Ken Marcet wrote:
[...]

Well, I am not wealthy, but I am seriously considering a cross country ride.
But I need to ride more / train more. I have time because I work from home
running my own business. But you are right about the time thing. If you work
a regular job 40 plus hours a week it could be tuff to get in saddle time.

Ken

Old March 15th 05, 05:37 AM
Mike Kruger

"Ken Marcet" wrote in message

I am not surprised by his age, heck 62 is the new middle

aged!

62 is middle aged only if you plan on living to about 124.

The ages of man (and woman), self-described:

8-10 Preteen
10-14 Teen
15-17 Young adult
18-22 Adult