Replacement for a damaged crankset

Old June 6th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Replacement for a damaged crankset

Hello,
I damaged a crankset while trying to remove it: stripped threads and
bent inner ring (actually, a friend of mine "helped" me).
The crankset is a cheap Shimano FC-CT93 (Shimano Altus circa 1997) so
I think the best idea is to buy another cheap crankset. But I don't
know what crankset I should replace it with!
I can't measure the spindle length (as the crank is still in place)
but I am fairly confident it's 117mm or more, square taper.
I don't want to replace neither the bottom bracket (E-type, Italian
thread) nor the front derailer (E-type mount) because I suppose I
won't be able to find matching components.

So, which crankset should I buy? Ideally it should be 24-34-42 to
match the defunct crankset.
I was thinking about Shimano FC-TX70: will it work?

Thanks,
Federico

Old June 6th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill

wrote:
[...]

That question, simple as it may seem, is a bit more complicated than it
should be. After purchasing about a dozen various sets by way of Ebay I
found that the good ones had chain rings that you could mix and match at
will. Some others had removable one piece riveted rings that you could
take off but they only took more of the same. One crank I bought has the
square hole at 45 degrees from the normal so it can't be used with any
left side cranks I have. Add to that the fact that there seem to be at
least 3 different offsets for different bottom brackets and you get into
quite a mix of components. Half of the stuff I bought from/via Ebay is
unusable on any of my rides. I guess the whole point is to make sure
that you get 'all' the specs on a crank before buying. You might
actually be better off going into a local bike shop and taking you old
crank with you to match up.
Best of luck.
Bill Baka