Choosing a Shimano MTB front hub

Old February 17th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Choosing a Shimano MTB front hub

Hello,
I'm going to build my first (front) wheel. The rim will be DRC ST
Touring (ETRTO 622x17), 36 holes. I will use the wheel for commuting
and light touring (I weigh 80 kg).
I would like to buy an affordable and reliable hub, so I am looking at
Shimano MTB hubs.
What is the real difference between Deore M530 (9 euro), LX M580 (14
euro), XT M760 (21 euro) and XT M770 (20 euro)?

Thanks,
Federico
Old February 17th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Feb 17, 12:15 pm, " wrote:
Hello,
I'm going to build my first (front) wheel. The rim will be DRC ST
Touring (ETRTO 622x17), 36 holes. I will use the wheel for commuting
and light touring (I weigh 80 kg).
I would like to buy an affordable and reliable hub, so I am looking at
Shimano MTB hubs.
What is the real difference between Deore M530 (9 euro), LX M580 (14
euro), XT M760 (21 euro) and XT M770 (20 euro)?

For a commuter, not a whole lot. LX would be my choice. Slightly nicer
finish--but even the plain Deore is fine with a bearing adjustment.
Don't forget to top up the grease to keep the weather out as well.
It's a front wheel, so not too much to worry about.

Old February 18th 08, 01:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

For a commuter, not a whole lot. LX would be my choice. Slightly nicer
finish--but even the plain Deore is fine with a bearing adjustment.
Don't forget to top up the grease to keep the weather out as well.
It's a front wheel, so not too much to worry about.

Two votes for the LX! Thanks.

By the way: where can I find the exact measurements for the hub? (I
would like both the hub and the spokes online, at the same time - so
no time to measure it)

Thanks,
Federico
Old February 18th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm
Old February 18th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute

On Feb 18, 1:17*pm, " wrote:
For a commuter, not a whole lot. LX would be my choice. Slightly nicer
finish--but even the plain Deore is fine with a bearing adjustment.
Don't forget to top up the grease to keep the weather out as well.
It's a front wheel, so not too much to worry about.

Two votes for the LX! Thanks.

By the way: where can I find the exact measurements for the hub? (I
would like both the hub and the spokes online, at the same time - so
no time to measure it)

Thanks,
Federico

Hub measurements are on the spec sheet on the net:
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/catalog/...=1203348388182

There are also spoke length calculators which will do the the job for
you, at DT Swiss for instance:
http://www.dtswiss.com/SpokesCalc/We...px?language=en
(accept the conditions of use by clicking the white tick box, then
"continue" and you're in)
and an Excel spreadsheet by Damon Rinard:
http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm

HTH.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20CYCLING.html

shimano front hub sale!!! Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Marketplace 0 August 2nd 06 11:51 PM
Choosing a Front Shock spdr Techniques 6 January 31st 06 12:38 AM
FS: Shimano XTR 32h front hub Mike Recumbent Biking 0 May 20th 05 01:40 AM
FS: Shimano LX Front Hub [email protected] Marketplace 0 January 7th 05 02:11 PM
FS: Shimano 105 front derailleur Pete Marketplace 0 December 8th 04 12:55 AM