Cycling benefits 'outweigh deaths'

Old December 8th 04, 09:55 AM
cfsmtb

Default Cycling benefits 'outweigh deaths'

Here's some breaking news from the world of politix that maybe o
interest to you. Same old message or important media release?

Discuss.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E1702,00.html

THE benefits of regular bike riding outweighed the loss of life throug
cycling accidents, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) sai
today.

.....refer to more, fwd'ed message below from Transport Australia

--- In , "Magarey Paul
paul.magarey@d... wrote:
Source documents for this are found at:

Media Release from Jim Lloyd:
http://www.ministers.dotars.gov.au/j...er/l60_2004.ht
(pasted below)

ASTB Web page: http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/mgraph/mgraph17/index.cfm

MEDIA RELEASE
The Hon Jim Lloyd MP
Minister for Local Government,
Territories and Roads
L60/2004

MOTORISTS AND CYCLISTS MUST SHARE THE ROAD

There are around 2500 cyclists seriously injured on the public road
system each year according to a new statistical report by th
Australian Transport Safety Bureau, Cycle Safety: A Nationa
Perspective.

Releasing the report today, Minister for Local Government, Territorie
and Roads, Jim Lloyd, called for motorists and cyclists to share th
road.

"Cycling is an important form of transport and recreation for many
people in the community," Mr Lloyd said.

"It is important that motorists recognise the rights of cyclists to us
the road and be considerate."

"It is equally important for cyclists to know their responsibilities o
the road and follow the rules."

"While we shouldn't ignore the risks of cycling, we should also
recognise the significant benefits regular cycling can provide to the
community," he said.

"Cycling should be encouraged as it can provide significant
environmental and health benefits."

"The National Cycling Strategy, Australia Cycling: the National
Strategy, 1999-2004 recognises these benefits and my departmen
supports the implementation of the strategy through the Australia
Bicycle Council." Mr Lloyd said.

The ATSB report summarises some of the key cycling safety indicators.
Key findings of the report include:

* Cyclists account for around 2 per cent of road deaths and 11 per cen
of seriously injured each year.
* In 2003, cycling was the fourth most popular physical activity amon
people aged 15 years and older.
* There is considerable evidence that the overall community benefits
from cycling are likely to outweigh the loss of life through cycling
accidents.

Cycle Safety: A National Perspective can be obtained from the ATSB'
web site: www.atsb.gov.au/road/mgraph/mgraph17/index.cfm

Media Contacts
Graeme Hallett ( Minister Lloyd's Office ) 0419 688 440
--- End forwarded message --

--
cfsmtb

Old December 8th 04, 11:30 AM
ritcho

paul.magarey@d... wrote:
Source documents for this are found at:

Media Release from Jim Lloyd:
http://www.ministers.dotars.gov.au/j...er/l60_2004.ht
(pasted below)

ASTB Web page: http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/mgraph/mgraph17/index.cfm
[snip]
--- End forwarded message ---

Well, it seems sensible enough to me, there were two key points tha
stood out for me:

1. Increasing participation in cycling is likely to reduce the _rate
of cycling accidents as less trips are taken by car and higher presenc
of cyclists on the roads improves motorists' familiarity with cyclists
- This isn't all that controversial and I'm sure will find favour i
this newsgroup...

2. Wearing a helmet reduces the likelihood of injury in the event of a
accident. (Except for neck injuries, according to the footnote
reference, otherwise the evidence in favour of helmets i
"overwhelming"). - This is flamebait that some people will loudly, i
not violently, oppose. Nevertheless, if I'm going to tumble down th
road, I'd rather have something between the road and my head...

I ride and I drive, but I like riding more than I like driving... No
they tell me it's good for me as well!

Ritch

--
ritcho

Old December 8th 04, 12:05 PM
hemyd

"cfsmtb" wrote in message

Here's some breaking news from the world of politix that maybe of
interest to you. Same old message or important media release?

Discuss.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E1702,00.html

THE benefits of regular bike riding outweighed the loss of life through
cycling accidents, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) said
today.

I am almost 57 years old and have diabetes. Walking is difficult, as I have
a bad ankle, broken ten years ago, now destroyed by arthritis. I can ride a
bicycle though, and the daily 10-15 kilometres I do is critical to my
managing my diabetes. I can "work off" whatever food I eat by going on a
bike ride an hour after eating. I like to translate every 100 kilometres of
bike riding I do as adding an extra day to my life. I just wish that drivers
(I also drive a lot) were not as aggressive, especially now leading up to
Christmas.

Henry.

Old December 8th 04, 09:41 PM
Jack Russell

http://www.ministers.dotars.gov.au/j...r/l60_2004.htm
(pasted below)

ASTB Web page: http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/mgraph/mgraph17/index.cfm

MEDIA RELEASE
The Hon Jim Lloyd MP
Minister for Local Government,
Territories and Roads
L60/2004

MOTORISTS AND CYCLISTS MUST SHARE THE ROAD

There are around 2500 cyclists seriously injured on the public road
system each year according to a new statistical report by the
Australian Transport Safety Bureau, Cycle Safety: A National
Perspective.

Releasing the report today, Minister for Local Government, Territories
and Roads, Jim Lloyd, called for motorists and cyclists to share the
road.

"Cycling is an important form of transport and recreation for many
people in the community," Mr Lloyd said.

"It is important that motorists recognise the rights of cyclists to use
the road and be considerate."

"It is equally important for cyclists to know their responsibilities on
the road and follow the rules."

"While we shouldn't ignore the risks of cycling, we should also
recognise the significant benefits regular cycling can provide to the
community," he said.

"Cycling should be encouraged as it can provide significant
environmental and health benefits."

"The National Cycling Strategy, Australia Cycling: the National
Strategy, 1999-2004 recognises these benefits and my department
supports the implementation of the strategy through the Australian
Bicycle Council." Mr Lloyd said.

The ATSB report summarises some of the key cycling safety indicators.
Key findings of the report include:

* Cyclists account for around 2 per cent of road deaths and 11 per cent
of seriously injured each year.
* In 2003, cycling was the fourth most popular physical activity among
people aged 15 years and older.
* There is considerable evidence that the overall community benefits
from cycling are likely to outweigh the loss of life through cycling
accidents.

Cycle Safety: A National Perspective can be obtained from the ATSB's
web site: www.atsb.gov.au/road/mgraph/mgraph17/index.cfm

Media Contacts
Graeme Hallett ( Minister Lloyd's Office ) 0419 688 440
--- End forwarded message ---

These are the arguements the UK CTC (with the backing of medical groups)
have been using for years.

--
Remove norubbish to reply direct

Jack Russell
Old December 9th 04, 12:01 AM
Terry Collins

Same old bull-**** message.

"It is important that motorists recognise the rights of cyclists to use
the road and be considerate."

Nice, but.

"It is equally important for cyclists to know their responsibilities on
the road and follow the rules."

And the same old boring "but we really don't believe it is the motorist
that is at fault and by saying the above we give all the problem
motorists a cop-out".
Old December 9th 04, 01:39 AM
ritcho

Terry Collins Wrote:
Jack Russell wrote:

cfsmtb wrote:
Here's some breaking news from the world of politix that maybe of
interest to you. Same old message or important media release?

Same old bull-**** message.

"It is important that motorists recognise the rights of cyclists t

use
the road and be considerate."

Nice, but.

"It is equally important for cyclists to know thei

responsibilities on
the road and follow the rules."

And the same old boring "but we really don't believe it is th
motorist
that is at fault and by saying the above we give all the problem
motorists a cop-out".

Bull-**** as in "not right", or Bull-**** as in "nothing new here"?

Motorist copout? Evidently, you read a different report than I...

Ritc

--
ritcho

Old December 9th 04, 02:28 AM
Marx SS

Most cyclists related jury/death stats always includes cyclists from ag
0 which throws a poor reflection on it I reckon.

Not many adult aged cyclists out there who would build a ramp in th
street out the front of their place to jump over their mates/pets etc

--
Marx SS

Old December 9th 04, 10:25 AM
Terry Collins

ritcho wrote:

Bull-**** as in "not right", or Bull-**** as in "nothing new here"?

Motorist copout? Evidently, you read a different report than I...

You must be new around here.

Those two paragraphs always appear together like lamb and mint sauce,
turkey and cranberry sauce, peanut butter and jelly (for the septic
lurkers), or whatever your favourite combination is.
Old December 9th 04, 10:55 AM

"Terry" == Terry Collins writes:

Terry ritcho wrote:
Bull-**** as in "not right", or Bull-**** as in "nothing new
here"?

Motorist copout? Evidently, you read a different report than I...

Terry You must be new around here.

Terry Those two paragraphs always appear together like lamb and
Terry mint sauce, turkey and cranberry sauce, peanut butter and
Terry jelly (for the septic lurkers), or whatever your favourite
Terry combination is.

Help me out here please because it seems I'm missing something.

How does stating:

"It is important that motorists recognize the rights of cyclists to use
the road and be considerate."

and

"It is equally important for cyclists to know their responsibilities on
the road and follow the rules."

equate to giving the motorist a cop out? Seems to me it's far from bull
**** and more akin to common sense, so what am I missing that's so
obviously raised your hackles?
--
Cheers
Euan
Old December 9th 04, 10:43 PM
ritcho

Terry Collins Wrote:
ritcho wrote:

Bull-**** as in "not right", or Bull-**** as in "nothing new here"?

Motorist copout? Evidently, you read a different report than I...

You must be new around here.

Those two paragraphs always appear together like lamb and mint sauce,
turkey and cranberry sauce, peanut butter and jelly (for the septic
lurkers), or whatever your favourite combination is.

Hmm, new around here... okay, I haven't been reading ATSB reports fo
30 years. However, the two paragraphs that always appear together ar
perfectly reasonable advice for all road users. They do not give
cop-out to motorists.

Motorcyclists have similar issues regarding the imbalance of risk
posed by accidents with cars and they are issued with similar advice
the use of safety equipment and obeying the law reduce the risk o
being injured on the roads (compared with _not_ using safety equipmen
and disobeying the road rules).

There was no cop-out when the 18yo girl failed right of way at
roundabout and collided with my nice shiny ZX6R. I ended up on th
floor, she ended up with a ticket and an insurance claim (and
bollocking from her frustrated father...)

Ritc

--
ritcho