Suggestions for European tour?

Old October 31st 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Rick

Default Suggestions for European tour?

sergio wrote:
Ken Roberts wrote:
I usually prefer to do my hiking on skis:
http://roberts-1.com/t/s06/it/ddz

Ken,
unfortunately I took a look at these pictures of yours; so,
now I feel very envious.
I never got that good a skier, though I always dreamt of it.
Just magic to go up and through the Dolomiti di Sesto in full winter
attire!

Sergio
Pisa

P.s. Back on topic: which side did you find tough to climb up to
Volterra?

Hi Sergio,

Four years ago my friend (now converted to wife) did two climbs to
Volterra ... on the same day. Both were challenging (more for her than
me). The first, as we rode in from the northeast, was Via Pisana.
After lunch and visiting some of the city, we left our friends who
wanted to relax and took a quick trip to the west to visit Montecatini
Val di Cecina, returning to Volterra on Via Provinciale Monte
Volteranno and SS68. Most of our group of 9 were challenged by the
climb up Via Pisana; I am a bit of a hill climber, and I sprinted
sections of that to get ahead of our group to take pictures of everyone
climbing. The second climb to Volterra of the day was a bit less
challenging for my friend than the first; I am not a good yardstick for
assessing difficult of climbs as hills are my thing. But from that
experience, I would say that a lot of folks I know would think those
two climbs are a bit of a challenge. So lets flip the question around;
what roads into Volterra would be the least challenging climbs?

- rick

Old October 31st 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

sergio wrote
which side did you find tough to climb up to Volterra?

Roughly from the West, I think.

I never got that good a skier, though I always dreamt
of it. Just magic to go up and through the Dolomiti di
Sesto in full winter attire!

For that you don't need skis. Lots of places like that can be reached on
snowshoes (and / or crampons). Advantage of snowshoes is that it's much
easier to carry them on your bike, along with a pair of collapsable ski
poles. In the springtime could ride your bike up to where the snow blocks
the road, then take your snowshoes and poles off the bike and use those to
climb higher.

It's interesting to think of passes in the Alps where I've been both on skis
in the winter/spring and bike in summer/fall. Col du Galibier I have photos
of both with bike and with skis. Furkapass both ways, but no photos. Lots of
mountain roads are official ski trails in the winter. Like I've both skied
and biked the lower part of the Oberalp pass road east from Andermatt. And
of course sections of the road on the north side of Col de l'Iseran.

The Sella Ronda tour is very actively promoted for (lift-served downhill)
skiers in the winter, marked with big signs on the snow. It's a great ride
in the summer, but a sunny day there in winter is beyond . . .
But you don't have to take my word for it. Don't some of those passes open
pretty early in the springtime? or some stay open all winter? Perhaps you
can ride it in pretty near full-snow glory.

Ken

Old November 1st 06, 08:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
sergio

Ken Roberts wrote:
sergio wrote
which side did you find tough to climb up to Volterra?

Roughly from the West, I think.

Then, it is the 'classic' Saline-Volterra route. A lot of switchbacks,
but really not very steep.

I never got that good a skier, though I always dreamt
of it. Just magic to go up and through the Dolomiti di
Sesto in full winter attire!

For that you don't need skis.

I have hiked up to the base of Tre Cime from Sesto and descended onto
Val Fiscalina.
Given the terrain, snow shoes are certainly at least as good as skies.

In the springtime could ride your bike up to where
the snow blocks
the road, then take your snowshoes and poles off the bike and use those to
climb higher.

Nice suggestion: I usually just turn around, and go back.
A question to you: do you ride also on snow covered or icey roads?

. Don't some of those passes
open
pretty early in the springtime? or some stay open all winter? Perhaps you
can ride it in pretty near full-snow glory.

Of those you mention I believe the only ones to stay open through the
winter is the Oberalp (perhaps so) and the Sella Ronde (positive, about
this).

No matter what, next time you happen to be within reach, please let me
know your whereabouts.

Sergio
Pisa

Old November 2nd 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

sergio wrote
I believe the only ones to stay open through the
winter is the Oberalp (perhaps so)

Perhaps not. I believe I've skied down the west end of the road into
Andermatt in the winter about ten years ago. I thought it was an official
marked "green" run in the Andermatt ski station. Unless they've change
their practice.

No matter what, next time you happen to be within reach,
please let me know your whereabouts.

I was just on the phone with a long-time ski partner, he just got a cheap
ticket for next April, and specifically mentioned climbing most of the way
to the top of Gran Paradiso. Is it reasonable to try to hike to Rifugio
Vittorio Emanuel from where the snow covers the road up to your favorite
climb (? Col Nivolet ?)

Or if you can lend me bike, we could meet around Susa or Briancon maybe
somewhere around late March - early April. Could see how far could ride
toward the lago Cenisio, then hike the rest, or maybe up north side of
Izoard. Or to stay away closed roads, I thought the east side of Col du
Montgenevre was a fun descent. Or if you know some pleasant valley riding
around Torino . . .

A question to you: do you ride also on snow covered or icey roads?

If you've got a bike with appropriate tires, I would try it. But really I'm
more into skiing on snowy roads.

Ken

Old November 2nd 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Martin Sinclair

Hi Lonnie,

seems a little expensive to me i would be thinking £1000 could be a better
price

i live in england here, and am considering cycling the Pyrenees. Always
fancied doing the Mediteranian to the Altantic.

If you are flying in via england there and 100's of really cheap flight out
of the UK to the Med.

Companies to look out for are the likes of RyanAir, EasyJet, flyBe
etc......... (you can get a flight for £50 down there)

id wing it accomodation wise, plenty of places to stay B&B wise. Check out
the Lonely Plannet "thorntree" for testomonies of such trips........

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Always trust an owl, especially and Arrogant one
Home of the Himalayian Trip: http://www.lhasa-2-kathmandu.co.uk
Home of the Owl: http://www.arrogantowl.com

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello all,
My fiancé and I would like to take a bike tour (7-10 days) of
somewhere in Europe for our honeymoon (mid June, 2007). We are thinking
of France, Italy, or Scotland, but we are open to other suggestions,
too. I was thinking of joining an organized tour (cbttour.com, etc.).
My questions:
1) Are there suggestions for locations?
2) Should we hook up with a tour or just get a map and go?
3) If we go with a tour, what is a reasonable price? A quick Google
search shows some 10 day tours for about $2500. Is that about right?
4) What are good bike tour organizations?
5) Are there good books that cover these topics?
6) Anything I should know that I'm not asking?

Thanks,
Lonnie

Old November 3rd 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Rick

Martin Sinclair wrote:
Hi Lonnie,

seems a little expensive to me i would be thinking £1000 could be a better
price

i live in england here, and am considering cycling the Pyrenees. Always
fancied doing the Mediteranian to the Altantic.

If you are flying in via england there and 100's of really cheap flight out
of the UK to the Med.

Companies to look out for are the likes of RyanAir, EasyJet, flyBe
etc......... (you can get a flight for £50 down there)

But it gets to be a bit of a trap. Flights from the states land at
Heathrow, most of the cheap flights are out of Gatwick, Stansted, or
Luton. Getting to any of these from Heathrow can be a bit pricey and a
bit of a pain, moreso if one is carrying their bike with them. The bus
from Heathrow to Gatwick was something like 30 pounds each, one way, a
year and a half ago and there were strict luggage limitations such that
a boxed bike was not allowed.

- rick

Old November 3rd 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
mark

Rick wrote:

If you are flying in via england there and 100's of really cheap flight out
of the UK to the Med.

Companies to look out for are the likes of RyanAir, EasyJet, flyBe
etc......... (you can get a flight for £50 down there)

But it gets to be a bit of a trap. Flights from the states land at
Heathrow, most of the cheap flights are out of Gatwick, Stansted, or
Luton. Getting to any of these from Heathrow can be a bit pricey and a
bit of a pain, moreso if one is carrying their bike with them. The bus
from Heathrow to Gatwick was something like 30 pounds each, one way, a
year and a half ago and there were strict luggage limitations such that
a boxed bike was not allowed.

- rick

In addition, there's the risk of getting stuck in traffic between
airports, and the issue of ensuring enough time between landing in one
airport and taking off from the other airport to complete the journey
between airports. If you've booked a multi-flight journey on a single
ticket. and miss a connection because your first flight was late, you'll
still get put on a later flight at no extra cost. Miss your
RyanAir/EasyJet/etc. flight out of Stansted because your flight into
Heathrow landed late, or because the bus between airports was delayed,
and you are probably SOL.

mark
Old November 3rd 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
sergio

Ken Roberts wrote:
I was just on the phone ...

Hi Ken,
being candid I must tell you that my past orthopedic history
prevents me from joining you off the road on skies, snow-shoes or even
on a long hike. No limitation on cycling, though.

To be helpful on your greater plans, I can enquire about how to go up
to Rifugio Vittorio Emanuele. Ask so, and I shall return all the needed
info in due time.

Also, an acquaintence of mine has done the Tour du Mont Blanc on a Mtb,
in just two days! Could you read his report in Italain? I expect this
tour to be very tempting to you.

Here is another suggestion. Traversing from the beautiful Vallee de la
Claree, up from Nevache (Briancon), to Galibier.

As for finding a bike eady to use over here, no problem to lend you one
of mine it it would fit you. Else, keep in mind: I am friends with a
large bike store just outside Ivrea, that in fact you might even know
already. If I vouch for you, from them you could get a good bike at a
very reasonable charge

Sergio
Pisa

Old November 3rd 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

I think there is enough information here to inspire your own rides.
People have done it and reported in these pages.

http://tinyurl.com/92vpb

Jobst Brandt
Old November 10th 06, 09:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

All about Tuscany he

http://www.intoscana.it