"City Bike" Hot New Category at Bicycle Industry Show

Old October 2nd 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace

Default "City Bike" Hot New Category at Bicycle Industry Show

On Oct 2, 11:23 am, Paul O wrote:
wrote:
On Oct 1, 5:16 pm, Paul O wrote:

I miss my trusty old Staedtler-Mars electric eraser. I wonder where it
is now?

Well, I actually have one. NOS. Not sure about the brand, though.

If you're _really_ interested, let me know.

- Frank Krygowski

Frank,
Nostalgia can be a funny thing. I remember how well my old electric
eraser worked. It did a quick, clean, and thorough job at erasing lines
on mylar and vellum. But the overall activity for which it was designed
to do was a PITA.

A couple of years after I moved to the drawing board, my company
purchased a bunch of PC workstations and a site license for an early DOS
version of AutoCAD (AutoCAD 5?). Before long, all of my drafting tools
were gathering dust in the bottom of a desk drawer and my drafting board
became a big horizontal surface to hold print-outs, books, and catalogs.
The simple truth was that preparing drawings with a CAD program was much
easier, faster, and more accurate than doing it by hand. And I could
erase hundreds of lines with an "E" command and a few mouse clicks.

That job ended and I moved on. I still have some of my drafting tools
but I never use them. And, I still use AutoCAD a fair amount (I'm up to
release 2008 now). So I probably would never use my old Staedtler-Mars
eraser even if I still had it.

Thanks, but some things are better left in the past...

Yep. I understand completely. Sometimes nostalgia isn't all it's cut
out to be.

Honestly, the real reason I have that electric eraser is that it (and
a dozen clones) were being thrown out because CAD had made them
obsolete. I thought: "Hmm. Electric motor, collet chuck - that might
come in handy for _something_!" But it's languished in a drawer
unused ever since.

However, I note that for small, one-off drawings, I'm still faster
drawing with pencil and paper than I am with AutoCAD or its
competitors!

- Frank Krygowski

Old October 4th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Andreas Oehler

Sun, 30 Sep 2007 14:04:29 -0500, BobT:

Your comment stimulated me to look at the B&M site. Looks like a really
great light. I might want to replace my Schmidt E6 and B&M Lumotec N Plus
halogen lights with this LED light depending on the price.

Do you know anything about when and where I could buy one of these lights.
I live in the U.S.A.. Searching the B&M site and Peter White's site didn't
help answer this question.

The Fly IQ in its different versions will be available in german shops
around the end of october AFAIK. It usually will take another month or so
until the lights might also be sold in other countries. Prices are in the
60-75 Euro range. With the weak US-$ and the small quantities exported to
the US prices have to be higher abroad.

Andreas