...jailed after causing the death of grandmother in city centre

Old August 21st 16, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default ...jailed after causing the death of grandmother in city centre

On 8/21/2016 12:50 PM, Duane wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 8:17:02 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Can you imagine the hue and cry there would have been if it had been a
bicyclist hit and killed by a car and the driver got only 1 year
despite having 11 prior convictions?

not 11 prior police warnings , but a prison sentence:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/motoris...jail-1-2919275

Interesting sentence in the article:

'“Mrs Fyfe wasn’t to blame in any way for the accident. However, she was
not wearing a safety helmet and that, in my view, contributed to her death.”'

Does that mean it's open season in Scotland on any bicyclist not wearing
a helmet? Ridiculous ruling by that judge. It should have been based on
what the driver did/didn't do not what the victim was/wasn't wearing

Contributory negligence isn't a new thing but I don't think I've heard it
applied to the lack of a bike helmet before. Not a good precedence.

It has absolutely been tried in Britain and Germany. From what I've
heard, it hasn't succeeded yet. But some helmet fanatics probably hope
it does succeed.

http://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.u...ory-negligence

http://road.cc/content/news/121433-g...al-court-rules

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 22nd 16, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 8:50:33 AM UTC-4, Tosspot wrote:
On 21/08/16 13:16, wrote:

Can you imagine the hue and cry there would have been if it had been a bicyclist hit and killed by a car and the driver got only 1 year despite having 11 prior convictions?

not 11 prior police warnings , but a prison sentence:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/motoris...jail-1-2919275

Everyone has to have a hobby. Running down cyclists appears to be his.

old woman was down weaving the vehicle lane
Old August 22nd 16, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 9:24:01 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/21/2016 6:02 AM, wrote:
Can you imagine the hue and cry there would have been if it had been a bicyclist hit and killed by a car and the driver got only 1 year

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...fined-180.html

http://www.roadjustice.org.uk/node/948

a small selection of real stories here if you're interested. getting killed by a cyclist on the footpath in uk is almost unheard of , by a motor on the footpath about 10 per year last time I looked

And note the cause of death.

--
- Frank Krygowski

old age
Old August 23rd 16, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 07:01:21 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 8/21/2016 7:12 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 10:53:55 -0500, "W. Wesley Groleau"
wrote:

On 08-21-2016 05:02, wrote:
a small selection of real stories here if you're interested. getting killed by a cyclist on the footpath in uk is almost unheard of , by a motor on the footpath about 10 per year last time I looked

I presume you don't think rarity
justifies the ridiculously light sentence.

Ah, but you see penalties in law are normally based on how the society
views the seriousness of the crime.

Treason has, historically, met with extraordinarily severe punishment,
because it threatened the security of the state.

my how things have changed, "at this point what difference
does it make?"

It was just an observation on the value of human life over the ages.

Way back when if you killed someone his brother hid behind a rock and
when you strolled by he bashed your brains out. A tooth for a tooth,
one might say.

Now (it appears) killing someone is such a minor thing that only a
fine is levied and in some cases, I read, the "killer" protest the
fine as it is too much for him to pay. No more tooth for tooth, now
perhaps only "a fart in a wind storm".
--
cheers,

John B.