What's on your Ipod?

Old October 28th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chris Neary

Default What's on your Ipod?

Hence my decision to connect mine to a speaker. Now I can hear music AND
traffic just fine. Hey, why don't we worry so much about this when we're
driving our cars and blasting the radio?

One of the reasons I ride is to get away from noise (including music).

YMMV.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old October 28th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"NY Rides" wrote:

I don't listen to music while riding. I live in an urban area and it

would be dangerous. I depend on my ears to locate vehicles approaching
from the rear.

Good grief. Take a moment to post coherently, eh? The conventions are
simple to follow.

Hence my decision to connect mine to a speaker. Now I can hear music AND
traffic just fine. Hey, why don't we worry so much about this when we're
driving our cars and blasting the radio?

Because in your car you are surrounded by a cocoon made out of a ton or
two of metal.
Old October 29th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
NY Rides

Because in your car you are surrounded by a cocoon made out of a ton or
two of metal.

All the more reason to be able to hear the jingly bell of some poor,
vulnerable bicyclist in my blind spot!

Old October 29th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Olebiker

KM wrote:
Good lord...lighten up!

The ride is important! But the music ain't a bad idea either!

Let me 'splain to you why it's a bad idea. A couple of months ago a
new guy came to one of our club rides. One of our club practices is to
get single file on a 2 lane road when someone calls "car back."

A car came up from behind us and I called "car back". The new guy
didn't budge from the center of the lane. I called out again with the
same result. I finally rode to him to explain our club rules and he
pulled his ear buds out so he could hear me.

If you want to listen to music, do it where you don't endanger other
road or trail users.

Old October 29th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Frank Drackman

"KM" wrote in message
. ..
Assuming that the majority of cyclists listen to some sort of music while
riding, what do you listen to?

You would find Mostly 80's hairbands, and some older rock. I am always
looking for tunes that will help my cadence.

What about you?

I only listen to music in my right ear when I am riding. I leave the left
ear open to hear the traffic

Old October 29th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
KM

In your exact example you are correct!

I just didn't want to get to heavy with the topic. Just fishing for some
music ideas.

Safety is priority for sure!

Thanks for your response!

Be good,

Kyle

"Olebiker" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old October 31st 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
NY Rides

Well, Kyle...you made a nice attempt at being sociable, but as you will soon
find (if you haven't already) bicyclists can be just as arrogant and
opinionated as anybody else.

I still think listening to music on a bicycle - at a reasonable level - adds
to the overall experience. I used to leave the music home, thinking I'd
rather chat with other bikers. However, I finally gave up on that when I
realized most of the bikers here in New York would rather tune out and keep
to themselves. Sad.

Old November 1st 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
KM

It is all good! I'm not offended. I chose to safely listen to music while I
ride. It seems to help to overcome some of the more difficult sections on
the various routes that I take. If you watch any of the races on television,
you will see that most of the professional riders do listen to music while
racing. I am not saying that I am in the same league as Lance..but if it's
good for the goose...

Not to mention that there are not too many cars that pass me on my rollers
in my basement! (Ohio's weather is funky!)

Anyway, it was a good exercise in human interaction.

Great group for sure!

Kyle

Old November 2nd 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chris Neary

If you watch any of the races on television,
you will see that most of the professional riders do listen to music while
racing. I am not saying that I am in the same league as Lance..but if it's
good for the goose...

Those are radios for communication with the Director Sportif, thou I know of
at least one instance where a rider used his radio earbud to listen to tunes
rather than his D.S. - who did not speak his native language.

That said, the actions of the peloton are lot more predictable than commute
traffic, IMHO.

Old November 4th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Gary Smiley

Music is like sex- it's wonderful, and there's a time and place for it, but
not on a bicycle!

"KM" wrote in message
. ..
Assuming that the majority of cyclists listen to some sort of music while
riding, what do you listen to?

You would find Mostly 80's hairbands, and some older rock. I am always
looking for tunes that will help my cadence.

What about you?

be good,

Kyle