cycling Sierra Nevadas

Old August 14th 16, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default cycling Sierra Nevadas/ Bad Beer News for Joerg

On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 9:59:51 AM UTC-7, Joerg
On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 7:38:22 AM UTC-7, Joerg
On 2016-06-21 07:30, wrote:

https://goo.gl/ZyQCtf

Yeah, it's almost paradise out here. There aren't
many places where you get to enjoy vistas like this
on the trail from Lotus to Folsom and they can only
be reached via MTB, hiking or some on horseback:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/...ronanTrail.JPG

Thinking about whether moving to the St.George area (Utah)
would make sense. A friend with similar ideas just
scoped that out last week and I'll get to ask him
about it on a ride this week. Their MTB trails are
better but AFAICT roads have little to no bicycle
infrastructure and I wouldn't like that.

Most roads have little to no bicycle infrastructure --
at least the roads in rural America. I don't know why
you think St. George would be any different. It's not
the Netherlands.

In our area (near Sacramento, CA) many roads do have a
bicycle infrastructure and this includes rural ones.
Whenever a road section is widened or restored from the
ground up they put in bike lanes. Must be some kind of
law. For example, I use this road a lot and since they
provided wide enough shoulders and bike lanes the number
of cyclists there has substantially increased, including
longhaul commuters:

https://goo.gl/maps/zL1zGuAvTwN2

This is also the road where, further down towards Folsom,
a cyclist was killed in the lane. Now there are bike
lanes at that four-lane stretch and she would still be
alive had they been in back then.

Unfortunately that sometimes leads to a row of orphaned
bike lanes but that is still better than nothing.

Long story short I prefer areas that are not a step back
WRT ease and safety of bicycling versus where we live
now. For me that's not just MTB trails but I also want to
be able to handle errands by bike like I do now. I prefer
not to have to ride in the lane a lot for that.

Dude, get a spine.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...y_limits_1.jpg

Piece of cake, that sort of road I'd take any day and I do that a lot
here. This, OTOH, is absolutely not cool:

https://goo.gl/maps/tDXgBjBivPn

Why would you ever be on UT-59 or go to Colorado City? Are you
FLDS?

No, I am a Lutheran. I want to have the freedom to go places
without having to use the car. For example, to give classes at
the Mohave College there or whatever. In the same way you could
ask me "Why do you need to ride to Placerville?" which is only
possible with an MTB and hard on the bike. Answer: Because I want
to.

UT-59 is rideable. It is not a restricted, car-only road.
https://www.udot.utah.gov/main/ucono...00404201454221 It
may not be to your taste, but that's another matter.

AFAIK it is the only connection between Hurricane and
Colorado City. I would not want to live in a big city like
St.George but rather in Hurricane next door.

If you move to Hur-a-kin, you are in for some serious culture
shock (although not as much as Colorado City). Don't go looking
for any brew pubs or growler stations -- and don't expect any
sympathy about the lack of bike lanes. Once off the main drag
and away from the tourist traffic headed to Zion, life in
small-town southern Utah is, well, unique. Rent before you
buy.

My main concern is the bicycle infrastructure. If it ain't there
I ain't comin'. Other than that there's breweries:

http://www.zionbrewery.com/

Not much farther than our local breweries here. The problem is
the roads. Green Valley Road out here now has wide enough
shoulders and sometimes bike lanes. Zion Park Road in Utah mostly
does not. If there is an alternate MTB route that would be
perfectly ok no matter how rough but I don't know that (yet).
This is why I have a stainless steel growler.

Really? It's quite a way from St. George and still a hop from
Hur-a-kin (my son makes fun of the local pronunciation -- that and
"Tooele.") Long way to ride for a beer, and you assume they can
fill growlers -- a wrong assumption for any beer over 4 percent
ABV. Above that limit, you have to purchase the beer
"pre-packaged," viz., not in your own growler -- and must be beer
made onsite. That's my understand, but I'll confirm it when I'm in
SLC in August -- getting my ass kicked up a bunch of 5-6,000 foot
climbs in 100 degree heat. Time to start doping.

Big ride tomorrow, but in the beer news for Joerg, I was correct that
you cannot get any beer on tap over 4% ABV in Utah. This means that
the best you can do is a session IPA on tap, and based on my recent
experience, not a great one. The local breweries put their best
stuff in bottles. Some will do a growler fill, but it has to be
"bottled" by the brew pub -- meaning that they fill and seal daily.
You're just buying a giant bottle of beer. I'm not sure how it works,
but I think you can bring in your own growler like an empty milk
bottle which gets cleaned and re-used by the brew pub, but you can't
hand it to the bartender for a quick fill.

Looks like you are right, that is indeed the procedure for high-alcohol
beer:

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2807263-1...ejoice-as-epic

That would not work for me as I have to carry a stainless steel growler
at least on the MTB, for obvious reasons.

For non-bike growlers I wouldn't like getting back someone else's
growler. If the pub is smart they'll fill it more or less on demand so
at least you get a fresh growler. Has to be because beer in growlers
only last until the night, or two days at the most. Afterwards the fresh
growler taste ain't that fresh anymore.

We also have rather stupid growler laws in CA and not all grass is
greener on the other side. The other downside of living in Hurricane are
the lack of bike lanes. Mountain biking is great but for errand runs
into St.George there still seems to be nothing.

I just got back from riding this: https://bbrelje.wordpress.com/2013/0...ghway-cycling/ Spectacular Sierra-like scenery at the top. The entire ride (apart from some in-town miles in Kamas) was on the Mirror Lake Highway (Route 150), a shoulderlesss two-lane road.

It is eminently do-able, although unpleasant in places because, as I learned, many Utahans enjoy the out-of-doors in giant trucks and 30 foot travel trailers and love to drive up and down canyons on Sunday at high speeds. Nearing the bottom, it was like a f****** traffic jam of RVs and SUVs and trucks and trailers. We got coal-rolled a few times, but probably no more than in Oregon on similar roads.

After recovering somewhat from hypoxia induced by the high altitude and trying to keep my son in sight, we probably descended in the 50-60mph range, but I wasn't instrumented and my son's computer was munged. I'm estimating the speed based on the fact that we drafted/followed some guy in a truck with a giant travel trailer, and that guy and all his homies were driving like bats out of hell -- up and down hill.

Hey, it's the beautiful out of doors. Get in your truck and floor it!

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 15th 16, 02:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

https://goo.gl/A2s5SV

'Utah is the 13th-largest by area, 31st-most-populous, and 10th-least-densely populated of the 50 United States. Utah has a population of nearly 3 million (Census estimate for July 1, 2015), approximately 80% of whom live along the Wasatch Front, centering on the state capital Salt Lake City.'

//////////////////////////////////////

https://goo.gl/4jOvd9

glorious ! the opportunity to escape several times….Tour de Froce !

maybe that out back cycling increases total affinity for the experience.
And off course you have a good reasons….

I met a transient friend on the Olympic beach escaped from Cal to Seattle spoke of the flight.
https://goo.gl/A2s5SV
Utah is the 13th-largest by area, 31st-most-populous, and 10th-least-densely populated of the 50 United States. Utah has a population of nearly 3 million (Census estimate for July 1, 2015), approximately 80% of whom live along the Wasatch Front, centering on the state capital Salt Lake City.
//////////////////////////////////////
https://goo.gl/4jOvd9
glorious ! the opportunity to escape several times….Tour de Froce !
maybe that out back cycling increases total affinity for the experience.

And off course you have a good reasons….

I met a transient friend on the Olympic beach escaped from Cal to Seattle spoke of the flight.

I’m off to Yellowstone in a few days ….speak with the buffalo…..

find a draft at 65 ...set cruise .....listen to watercolors/spa..... stop to see Jackson's Arm ....

Old August 15th 16, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 9:31:07 AM UTC-4, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
[...]

need to speak with the mouse.....
Old August 16th 16, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-06-21 07:30, wrote:

https://goo.gl/ZyQCtf

[...]

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Apparently a lot of brewmasters believe growlers ruin the taste of
beer not consumed withinn at most two days.

Every seasoned beer connoisseur knows that a growler is no good past two
days and preferably should be consumed the same night. That's what we do
when I bring one home.

http://www.bonappetit.com/columns/th...-for-your-brew

"Growlers are big right now with beer geeks. The refillable
half-gallon bottles let you roll on up to your favorite brewery/fancy
beer store/Whole Foods and get a tap-fresh jug o’ suds. They’ve got
that back-to-the-basics “artisanal” vibe. Hell, they even have a
handle.

Too bad brewers (a.k.a. the pros) can’t stand the things.

Real pros love growlers. Because if handled correctly by the customer it
brings very fresh taste home and they come over and over again. On road
and MTB rides I often stop he

http://mrazbrewingcompany.com/

Late afternoon there is sometimes a beeline of people with growlers in
hand and they come from far places such as Elk Grove or Auburn, only to
pick up one growler of their favorite stuff.

The last time I hung out with Garrett Oliver, brewmaster at the
Brooklyn Brewery and editor-in-chief of the Oxford Companion to Beer,
the touchy subject of growlers came up. In short, he thinks they
suck.

“It’s more of a love-hate relationship,” Oliver told me on the phone
last week, on tour to promote the Oxford tome. “Brewers love the
opportunity to get some beers that are not in bottles in front of a
general public, and certainly beer drinkers love them.”

But? “Brewers tend to hate them. Growlers are basically beer
destroyers. They’re often unsanitary, ...

When fools handle them, maybe. Not here.

... and the refilling process mixes
in a lot of oxygen–the tiniest amount of oxygen kills beer so
quickly.

Does that guy have _any_ clue? My pub first hisses in CO2, _then_ beer.

... Then, if you walk across the street with say, an IPA, in
full sunlight, with a clear growler, the beer will skunk before you
get to your car.”

Has it ever occured to the writer that there could be a reason why
growler glass is brown? Does he know anythuing about that topic? Or
about how to built a well working web page, for that matter ...

That quickly? “That quickly! For the brewer, this is like if you went
to a nice restaurant, ordered something great, and then took the
beautifully presented plate of food, scraped it into a bag, put that
bag in the fridge for 3 days, microwaved it, and then based your
opinion of that restaurant on your bag of old food.”

But what if you drink it the same day? “A brewery will tell you to
drink it within a day or two, but plans change. By the time you get
around to actually drinking the beer, the chance that the growler
will be anywhere close to as perfect as the brewer feels he was able
to make it is pretty low.”

That's when the customer has messed up and they know it. Growlers are ok
next day. Just not two days later. People know this.

Is there no hope? “A few breweries have gone to some quite expensive
machinery to basically build a small bottling line for growlers, to
keep things clean. But when things are really busy, and some guy’s
standing in front of you and just wants to fill up his grubby
growler, you’re gonna do it! It’s just one of those things, your
child walks out of the door into the traffic, and brewers are
reasonably worried about it.”

So growlers might seem all old-timey and legit, but given half a
chance, I’ll stick to the best way I know to keep beer brewery-fresh:
straight from the tap to my glass, or in a can. —Andrew Knowlton with
Sam Dean KEYWORDS: Beer, Garrett Oliver, The Foodist"

Yeah, grandpa, and great grandpa, and great-great grandpa and all the
people back then must have been terribly wrong. Because they all hauled
their beer home in large flasks. Crates hadn't been invented yet. Oh
must they have suffered ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 16th 16, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-06-21 07:30, wrote:

https://goo.gl/ZyQCtf

[...]

Nice!

... The entire ride (apart
from some in-town miles in Kamas) was on the Mirror Lake Highway
(Route 150), a shoulderlesss two-lane road.

Not so nice.

It is eminently do-able, although unpleasant in places because, as I
learned, many Utahans enjoy the out-of-doors in giant trucks and 30
foot travel trailers and love to drive up and down canyons on Sunday
at high speeds. Nearing the bottom, it was like a f****** traffic jam
of RVs and SUVs and trucks and trailers. We got coal-rolled a few
times, but probably no more than in Oregon on similar roads.

What is "coal-rolled"? Bailing into the bush?

After recovering somewhat from hypoxia induced by the high altitude
and trying to keep my son in sight, we probably descended in the
50-60mph range, but I wasn't instrumented and my son's computer was
munged. I'm estimating the speed based on the fact that we
drafted/followed some guy in a truck with a giant travel trailer, and
that guy and all his homies were driving like bats out of hell -- up
and down hill.

Hey, it's the beautiful out of doors. Get in your truck and floor
it!

Unfortunately that the way most people see it :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Schwinn Sierra sarvana2 Marketplace 0 August 15th 10 08:29 PM
SIERRA CYCLE ? datakoll Techniques 3 February 20th 10 05:32 AM
Sierra spring ride [email protected] Rides 10 June 9th 08 01:08 AM
Sierra Spring Tour [email protected] Rides 0 May 21st 07 10:37 PM
Sierra Club -- cycling is scary [email protected] General 46 January 24th 05 07:12 PM