knackered bottom bracket

Old August 10th 16, 06:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Default knackered bottom bracket

Shim lives on an island in the western Pacific ...

Copper isnot mechanical

Doahn stand...is a Calism ?

Old August 10th 16, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei

On 10-08-16 02:44, jbeattie wrote:

I did my own wiring for a bathroom remodel, and the inspector didn't ding me for not using an electrician -- and I wired new circuits into the panel. Maybe its different here, or its changed since this project.

The aluminum wire thing comes up periodically in cases I see. Luckily, my old house is all copper -- mostly ungrounded, although the codes in the 50s did require grounding for some boxes, so when I rat around, I find grounded and ungrounded boxes -- and god knows where the grounds are going. I'm not seeing them back at the breaker box. My father (who was an electrician in the Navy during WW II and later a pharmacist) gave me the best advice: "If you need to work on a hot circuit, don't stand in a puddle." Words to live by.

-- Jay Beattie.

Reminds me of the story I heard about a family in Toronto who noticed
that there was a "tingly" feeling in the shower. It turned out that
something had shorted to ground, which was connected to the water pipes.
However, there was a section of plastic pipe in the basement where the
water main connected. So no ground...
Old August 10th 16, 01:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/9/2016 9:14 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

:I did my own wiring for a bathroom remodel, and the inspector didn't ding me for not using an electrician -- and I wired new circuits into the panel. Maybe its different here, or its changed since this project.

Lots of variation in that. Some places in the US let homeowners do
their own electrical work (because they know they're going to anyway),
some require a licensed electrician to do anything more than change a
light bulb (but homeowners do their own work, and non electricians do
stuff when they think they should). Still other parts of the country
have no licensing requirements, or only silly paperwork requirements
for licensing.

Yes, mostly a dead weight on society as the infamous Chicago
hair braiding license:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...fessional-hair

Which is, by the way, well publicized but not as onerous or
ridiculous as some other jurisdictions (State of Iowa for
example)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 10th 16, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

On 2016-08-09 08:35, Ned Mantei wrote:
On 8/7/2016 AMuzi wrote:

That said, regular cleaning and lubrication can keep even
midrange hub and BB bearings running for a cyclist's
lifetime. We see Record hubs regularly (mailed in for new
spokes and rims) which are running well after 40~50 years
with annual or 2-year bearing service.

This would agree with my experience with my mountain bike, although at
13 years it still has a long way to go to match Andrew's example. But I
wonder about another bike with a Shimano hub dynamo. It seemed quite
tricky to take the hub apart to get at the bearing on the right side, so
I have left that side as is. It's now 10 years old, and rolls smoothly
except for the drag of the generator. Given that the seals on this hub
are supposed to be very good, how long could it still last? The bike is
ridden rain or shine, but not when there is snow or ice on the road (so
no road salt).

He explains it, including removing the rotor which you don't need to
do this time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF5BUwS5uDM

The wires seem to snap easily and it happened in this video where he
mentions that he'll now have to solder them after re-assembly. The
pictures explain it but if you need any part translated let me know.

Having done that, I suggest soldering a braided copper pigtail to the
aluminum wire. I used flux intended for aluminum, tinned the aluminum
wire with leaded solder, then soldered on the copper pigtail.

Shimano actually have a patent on that fairly obvious idea, but I
don't know that they have ever marketed a product that uses it.

I didn't know Shimano used aluminum wire. Could there be some
technical reason or was that to save a penny?

Al saves weight and money. It's not a bad choice except that the wire
work hardens and breaks when you look at it sideways.

If you coat it well enough it might even weather salty air and all the
stuff a bicycle might go through during its life. Connecting aluminum
to copper gives me the goose bumps but as John Wayne put it sometimes
"man has got to do what man has got to do". Unfortunately we have that
in our house wiring.

I'm fairly sure the entire electrical circuit is not Al, so an Al/Cu
connection is required somewhere. I have used my modified hub
frequently over several years with no trouble.

Old August 10th 16, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/10/2016 7:42 AM, Ned Mantei wrote:

Reminds me of the story I heard about a family in Toronto who noticed
that there was a "tingly" feeling in the shower. It turned out that
something had shorted to ground, which was connected to the water pipes.
However, there was a section of plastic pipe in the basement where the
water main connected. So no ground...

We had a very difficult electrical problem at an extended family
member's older house. The metal cover plates on outlets in the
basement-level screened in porch were causing a slight "tingling" for
just one person - the one whose bare feet were touching the concrete
floor. Those with shoes felt nothing. And we found that when rain
slightly moistened one part of that floor, a barefoot person near the
moist area got much more than a slight tingle.

It took a long time to diagnose, and turned out to be a double fault.
First, the ground wire connection to that circuit was made in a remote
ceiling fixture box in a utility room. Somehow it had come loose,
perhaps during some work done by the previous owner. Second, one of the
hot wires had broken loose from its outlet terminal and was
microscopically contacting the metal service box. Oh, and the diagnosis
wasn't helped by the fact that the porch light switch on the same
circuit was faulty.

It's now all protected by a GFCI.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 10th 16, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

jbeattie wrote:

[...]

Oklahoma n Kansas have websites....California is ad hoc .....Oregon obfuscates

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=search-action
Old August 10th 16, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

"remodeling" has many surprises n one is why did this not burn down 10 years ago ...

once remodeled a pig sty built 1860 ? inot a rec room

down the street from Grant's et al Favorite Barn n Grillo... The Seed Money ....
Old August 11th 16, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 13:42:26 +0200, Ned Mantei
wrote:

[...]

Depending on the wiring, sometimes simply "turning the plug over"
stops that.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 11th 16, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

jbeattie wrote:

[...]

I read that bit to my (Thai) wife who looked at me in amazement and
muttered something under her breath that sounded like "stupid
foreigners" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 11th 16, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 11:06:07 -0400, Radey Shouman

On 2016-08-09 08:35, Ned Mantei wrote:
On 8/7/2016 AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Generally speaking, aluminum is cheaper than copper and also
lighter... and also can safely carry less amperage. One Air Base I
worked at had all aluminum secondary wiring. The Base Exchange started
selling little small air conditioning units and the guys in the
barracks started buying them and installing them. The "Entrance"
wiring - from the pole to the barracks - started melting off :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Knackered bottom bracket. Ian Field Techniques 26 August 13th 16 07:52 PM
Is the torque on a nutted bottom bracket different than a bolt-onbottom bracket? TomYoung Techniques 3 June 25th 08 09:44 PM
want to buy a bottom bracket donaldorourke Marketplace 1 February 3rd 07 01:56 PM
bottom bracket Jon_H Techniques 4 February 27th 05 12:32 PM
ID this bottom Bracket Paul Kopit Techniques 4 January 20th 05 03:46 AM