Performance Bike still SUX

Old December 6th 03, 06:16 PM
Tim McNamara

Default Performance Bike still SUX

"Kerry Nikolaisen" f o u r n i k s @ c h a r t e r . n e t writes:

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
"Kerry Nikolaisen" f o u r n i k s @ c h a r t e r . n e t writes:

Why bash the customer who has had a bad experience? He is only
relaying his frustrations to you.

Nah, he's whining. His stuff was backordered, which just happens
sometimes and he took it personally.

No - reread the post. He's upset because they weren't upfront with
him and jerked him around.

Bull****. His stuff was backordered, he got ****ed off, he
threatened them with "never doing business with them again" and all
the other hallmarks of a temper tantrum, and then expected them to
treat him like an adult. LOL.

Guys like that should do business exclusively with retail so that
they can walk out of the store with their purchases.
Old December 6th 03, 11:41 PM
Ground Zero

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
snip
Bull****. His stuff was backordered, he got ****ed off, he
threatened them with "never doing business with them again" and all
the other hallmarks of a temper tantrum, and then expected them to
treat him like an adult. LOL.

Guys like that should do business exclusively with retail so that
they can walk out of the store with their purchases.

Seems like a lot of people are having temper tantrums over nothing. This
thread has gone on too long... let it go and get back to the business of
RBM.

Stuart Winsor
Ground Zero Cycles

Old December 7th 03, 01:48 AM
Michael Pearlman

"SaintDan" dcxdanATwowwayDOTcom wrote in message ...
Hi,
Just a follow up to the back order problems I have had with an order from
Performance Bicycle as copied below. I finally was able to convince
Performance that my shipment of the bike repair stand was missing in the
mail. I sent back the confirmation sheet they sent me and was expecting them
to send the product to me that day. NO.... talk with Chris in Customer
service and he said that it is back again on BACK ORDER. I asked him what
kind of company would let there suppliers screw up their business like that.
He was quite silent for a while and I figured he was "Clueless" like many
other companies that don't put their supplier's or vendor's feet to the
fire. Well, I asked for my money back and said I will never deal with
Performance Bike company again - MORE silence on the phone line..........

Pretty disappointing how lousy customer service is in this country of ours.
Then it seems when a company does run into financial problems, they blame
the Japanese, the economy, there competition and even the weather -
Hello... look in the mirror :-)

Well, maybe someone else has had a better experience with Performance Bike -
luck you.

Dan

My original posting........

Hello,
I don't want to bitch too much but has anyone else had problems with
Performance Bicycle catalog orders. I ordered from them in mid October and
one item was "out of stock" at the time. Said that it would be back in stock
and then ship in November. Three weeks later it was restocked and sent to me
BUT then 2 1/2 weeks later I still don't have it. Well, my REAL problems
started when I tried to talk with someone at Performance. I have been put
off, had excuses and explanations told to me, was promised a call back from
someone in management who never called. back and just generally treated like
a BOOB for complaining. Are they having business problems? Order problems,
vendor problems or ......Possibly heading toward putting up the "Out of
Business" sign?

Funny thing is, I just got some catalogs the other day from Bike Nashbar and
Super Go Bike shop - are they any better to deal with?

Dan

Dear Dan, I know how you feel. Performance is a most unresponsive
bunch. They do not deserve your business. Take it elsewhere.
Old December 7th 03, 03:06 AM
Bartow W. Riggs

I think it is important to have a personal relationship, especially with
your favorite mechanic. For me, it is "bob" (fake name) he knows me and
when I go in for a quick wheel-true or similar and ask how much I owe, he
usually says something like "just buy something." In contrast, I was
charged $36 for 4 minutes labor when he was not there.

The first is good business sense, the second is greed.

In general I have no complaints about Performance Bike.

Bartow
"Kerry Nikolaisen" f o u r n i k s @ c h a r t e r . n e t wrote in
message ...
"SaintDan" dcxdanATwowwayDOTcom writes:

Just a follow up to the back order problems I have had with an order
from Performance Bicycle as copied below. snip .... talk with
Chris in Customer service and he said that it is back again on BACK
ORDER. I asked him what kind of company would let there suppliers
screw up their business like that.

Oh, General Motors, Dell, Compaq, IBM, Ford... any company that sells
products can have problems getting supplies. Lots of them in the
Fortune 500. Stuff gets back ordered, especially when there is
competition for those supplies, for a whole lot of reasons.

He was quite silent for a while and I figured he was "Clueless" like
many other companies that don't put their supplier's or vendor's
feet to the fire. Well, I asked for my money back and said I will
never deal with Performance Bike company again - MORE silence on the
phone line..........

He was probably thinking "Promise?" but was being polite.

Pretty disappointing how lousy customer service is in this country
of ours.

And yet most of the rest of us don't seem to have this trouble with
Nashbar. Maybe they just decided to jack *you* around, hey?

Hello... look in the mirror :-)

Good advice.

I fail to understand your cynicism. There is an old saying in the retail
and service industry - "the customer is always right." All it takes is

one
bad experience, and you are tainted possibly for life.

Why bash the customer who has had a bad experience? He is only relaying

his
frustrations to you. That's why great customer service is at the heart of
every successful company - they make it hard to hate them.

Sure, there are always the unreasonable customers, but if you have tried
everything to make them happy, WHILE BEING UPFRONT AND HONEST, it is that
much more difficult to make an enemy.

Personally, I think Saint Dan had every right to be frustrated and ****ed.

Kerry

Old December 7th 03, 04:04 AM
Peter

Bartow W. Riggs wrote:

I think it is important to have a personal relationship, especially with
your favorite mechanic.

I hope I never own anything so unreliable that I end up developing a
personal relationship with my mechanic. I was getting dangerously close
once with a car but my current one is doing much better. Fortunately my
bikes have never approached that level.

Old December 7th 03, 05:17 AM
Tom Keats

In article cNwAb.447073$Tr4.1249112@attbi_s03,
Peter writes:
Bartow W. Riggs wrote:

I think it is important to have a personal relationship, especially with
your favorite mechanic.

I hope I never own anything so unreliable that I end up developing a
personal relationship with my mechanic. I was getting dangerously close
once with a car but my current one is doing much better. Fortunately my
bikes have never approached that level.

Twice-yearly checkups are good for bikes, at least in the
Northern Temperate Zone. Keep the bearings well-greased, 'n
all that.

I like to do it myself; others like to have it done and let
the other guy/gal get the dirty fingernails. No sweat
either way. All bikes need periodic tinkering.

Personal relationships with bike mechanics are especially good
when you collect & refurbish older bikes which might have
extremely stuck seatposts, or "funny", obsolete drive trains
that need oddball tools to dismantle.

There's nothing wrong with retaining a wrench who knows what
[s]he's doing with occasional gifts of Solly's[tm] cinnamon
rolls, or herrings for their cats. On a good day, one might
even pick up some esoteric tips as to bike care & maintenance.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old December 7th 03, 05:37 AM
The Real Bev

Peter writes:
Bartow W. Riggs wrote:

I think it is important to have a personal relationship, especially with
your favorite mechanic.

I hope I never own anything so unreliable that I end up developing a
personal relationship with my mechanic. I was getting dangerously close
once with a car but my current one is doing much better. Fortunately my
bikes have never approached that level.

Bingo. I would guess that bike mechanics are different, but I never
EVER want to be on a first-name basis with anybody who deals with car
parts/repair.

Twice-yearly checkups are good for bikes, at least in the
Northern Temperate Zone. Keep the bearings well-greased, 'n
all that.

I like to do it myself; others like to have it done and let
the other guy/gal get the dirty fingernails. No sweat
either way. All bikes need periodic tinkering.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Still, I bought a used bike several years
ago and 10,000 miles later it's still going strong with no tinkering at
all except for tires and tubes. When I take the rear wheel off I have
to keep tweaking the axle until I finally get it to the position where
it shifts nicely, but that's it. My smallest rear sprocket is starting
to slip, but I figure that's par for the course since it gets the most
use.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old December 7th 03, 05:40 AM
Peter

Peter writes:

Bartow W. Riggs wrote:

I think it is important to have a personal relationship, especially with
your favorite mechanic.

I hope I never own anything so unreliable that I end up developing a
personal relationship with my mechanic. I was getting dangerously close
once with a car but my current one is doing much better. Fortunately my
bikes have never approached that level.

Twice-yearly checkups are good for bikes, at least in the
Northern Temperate Zone. Keep the bearings well-greased, 'n
all that.

Seeing someone for a few minutes once every six months isn't likely to
result in a very personal relationship unless there's some other reason for
it to develop.

In any event I used to also believe in regreasing bearings, etc. once or
twice a year. Then I stopped doing that and realized that the bike ran
fine without it. My main bike is 12 years old and hasn't had a bearing
touched in over four years and about 25000 miles. Obviously it's gone
through a few tires and a couple chains along the way, but nothing that
needed the help of a mechanic.

Old December 7th 03, 07:32 AM
Carl Fogel

Peter wrote in message news:cNwAb.447073$Tr4.1249112@attbi_s03...
Bartow W. Riggs wrote:

I think it is important to have a personal relationship, especially with
your favorite mechanic.

I hope I never own anything so unreliable that I end up developing a
personal relationship with my mechanic. I was getting dangerously close
once with a car but my current one is doing much better. Fortunately my
bikes have never approached that level.

Dear Peter,

Your point about why anyone would want to
get to know their mechanic well reminds me
of how my medical office clients often ask
me which companies offer the best computer
support.

I tell my clients whatever I've read in
customer satisfaction surveys, mention my
more lurid recent experiences, and then
raise the question that you imply:

What does it really mean when so many people
think that a company has such wonderful support?

A few years ago, a doctor ordered a Dell,
asked me to set it up, and watched as I ran
through the initial Windows setup, which
froze and never recovered.

The Seagate hard drive had died.

Dell tech support arranged for FedEx to
arrive the next morning with the right box
for returning the computer alone, without
its keyboard, manuals, or other stuff--no
original packing box was needed.

The box was a nice touch, but it suggested
that FedEx and Dell expected to ship a lot
of dead computers back to the factory from
my little Colorado backwater.

(I have nothing against Seagate, Dell, or
FedEx. And I'm a computer mechanic that my
unhappy offices get know better than they'd
like.)

It's a bit like the daughter who's been
missing all weekend and then shows up
Monday morning carrying a Gideon Bible.
Her religious interest is reassuring, but
her father has to wonder what hotel room
she swiped it from.

A well-run, efficient complaint and warranty
department requires lots of complaints and
broken parts to maintain its high standards.

(But think of the alternative.)

Carl Fogel
Old December 7th 03, 07:35 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
The Real Bev writes:

All bikes need periodic tinkering.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Still, I bought a used bike several years
ago and 10,000 miles later it's still going strong with no tinkering at
all except for tires and tubes. When I take the rear wheel off I have
to keep tweaking the axle until I finally get it to the position where
it shifts nicely, but that's it. My smallest rear sprocket is starting
to slip, but I figure that's par for the course since it gets the most
use.

You should see some of the puddles (lakes) Claire, Dane, Zoot, Bernie,
Ryan, Fabrizzio et al have to frequently ride thru in what Americans
call the Pacific NorthWest. Humid coastal climates are lubrication
killers. Not to mention wear & tear on brake pads and rims.

So, out of curiosity, just how well-lubed /is/ your BB or headset?

cheers, & no spawled bearings,
Tom