Scam on-line bike shops

Old February 8th 05, 10:53 PM
Tony Raven

Default Scam on-line bike shops

http://www.bikebiz.com/daily-news/article.php?id=5223

Saturday 5th February 2005
Don't buy from Delin, Kelmet or Fermen
These online bike shops give London addresses but the postcodes are
wonky and the whois records show the sites are registered to individuals
in Texas, New Mexico and Illinois. One of the registrants has a Nigerian
name. All three sites look identical, apart from the URLs and shop
names. It's likely there are more such fake, 419-scam shops out there,
using the same template. 'Fermen' is also a name being used on eBay, in
a number of variants. Buyers beware...

fermen-cycle.com is registered to 'Fermen' of 130 Renda Lane #3 Dongola,
Il 62926.

delincycles.com is registered to Oladehinde Idowu of 7506 Clarewood
Drive, Houston, Texas 7703 6.

kelmet-sale.com is registered to Derek S Riewe of 2608 Llano Encantado
NW, Albuquerque.

All three sites are hosted by Easyspace Ltd. of Glasgow. It's likely all
are run by the same individual, or gang, possibly from America, more
likely from Nigeria itself.

On eBay, fermens1221 mutated into fermens1222 soon after fermens1221 was
removed as a seller by eBay following complaints.

The fermens postings on eBay seem to be automated because as soon as one
fermens name is banned, another pops up and with 214 bikes for sale
almost immediately.

The online bike shops all provide the same 'about us' text, but with the
shop names changed, of course.

"Kelmet Cycling Shop was open in February 2002. Run by motivated and
experienced staff always striving for providing the best possible
service to our valued customers, we have quickly become one of the
largest online bikes store located directly in the heart of England."

London? The heart of England?

"Time is our enemy! We need to sell very fast!"

Yep, that'll be about right.

All three shops claim to sell brands such as Trek, Giant, Cannondale,
Litespeed, Kona and Specialized. However, the only bikes listed are 2004
Trek MTBs. All are priced in dollars.

The sites feature a stolen pic of a real bike shop, Triathlete's World
of Brisbane.

The sites urge would-be buyers to email in requests for the bikes.

"We had many problems in past with stolen identity using credit card
payment and we took the decision not to use direct credit card
payment...We have 2 ways for payment: one via bank wire and is available
for UK and international customers and the other one is via cash transfer...

"After payment is confirmed in our bank account, it will take maximum 24
hours your order to be processed and shipment to be started. We will
give you also the tracking number for shipment to track your bike."

These sort of fake sites often belong to 419-scammers of West African
origin.
Old February 9th 05, 11:20 AM
John

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
[...]

Hi, there's some information about them here;
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t198807...best-shop.html

John