start-line blood tests?

Old October 10th 05, 11:17 PM

Default start-line blood tests?

This whloe issue of start-line blood tests. Here's my question, if
there is such widespread practice of transfusing blood just before the
race begins, wouldn't the riders all be suffering from track-marks and
seriously damaged veins? Blood vessels are not THAT resilient.

Old October 11th 05, 12:50 AM
gds

MagillaGorilla wrote:

What does "whloe" mean?
Thanks,

Wyh do yuo aks?

Old October 11th 05, 03:11 AM
Jet

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 01:56:35 GMT, Steve Bornfeld

This whloe issue of start-line blood tests. Here's my question, if
there is such widespread practice of transfusing blood just before the
race begins, wouldn't the riders all be suffering from track-marks and
seriously damaged veins? Blood vessels are not THAT resilient.

Well, there are a lot of veins to look at. If you get a good
phlebotomist, there won't be much of a mark.

Steve

Do you know how large a gauge needle is needed to quickly and safely
transfuse packed cells?

18 gauge is suggested. Those are not small, and would show a mark for about
a day.

-jet

Old October 11th 05, 03:12 AM
Steve Bornfeld

Jet wrote:
On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 01:56:35 GMT, Steve Bornfeld

This whloe issue of start-line blood tests. Here's my question, if
there is such widespread practice of transfusing blood just before the
race begins, wouldn't the riders all be suffering from track-marks and
seriously damaged veins? Blood vessels are not THAT resilient.

Well, there are a lot of veins to look at. If you get a good
phlebotomist, there won't be much of a mark.

Steve

Do you know how large a gauge needle is needed to quickly and safely
transfuse packed cells?

18 gauge is suggested. Those are not small, and would show a mark for about
a day.

-jet

Good point. I'm pretty clueless about this. I assumed the packed
cells were reconstituted before transfusing.
In any case, a bum of a phlebotomist will leave a mark with a 30 ga.
needle (I generally use a 27 ga. at work; I'm guessing even routine IV
lines are running on considerably larger needles.
Still, who's gonna check all those perineal veins?

Steve

Old October 11th 05, 03:58 AM
Steve Bornfeld

MagillaGorilla wrote:

Good point. I'm pretty clueless about this. I assumed the packed
cells were reconstituted before transfusing.
In any case, a bum of a phlebotomist will leave a mark with a 30
ga. needle (I generally use a 27 ga. at work; I'm guessing even
routine IV lines are running on considerably larger needles.
Still, who's gonna check all those perineal veins?

Steve

27 ga. needles? What do you do with that - amniocentisis?

Magilla

Holy smoke--have you ever seen an amnio needle? The freakin' thing
looks like a harpoon. My wife didn't seem to mind...much.
I sometimes use a 30 ga. In school, they had us using 25 ga all the
time--so we could aspirate (we don't want to inject into an artery or
vein). We were told that you couldn't aspirate effectively with a
needle smaller than 25 ga. This was nonsense--I can aspirate blood very
easily with a 27. But packed cells are something else again. I don't
doubt what jet said about needing an 18. But when I watched my wife's
anmio, the needle looked like it might be negative numbers.

Steve

Old October 11th 05, 04:13 AM
Jet

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 02:12:41 GMT, Steve Bornfeld
wrote:

Do you know how large a gauge needle is needed to quickly and safely
transfuse packed cells?

18 gauge is suggested. Those are not small, and would show a mark for about
a day.

-jet

Good point. I'm pretty clueless about this. I assumed the packed
cells were reconstituted before transfusing.
In any case, a bum of a phlebotomist will leave a mark with a 30 ga.
needle (I generally use a 27 ga. at work; I'm guessing even routine IV
lines are running on considerably larger needles.
Still, who's gonna check all those perineal veins?

Steve

Huh? The extremely thin needle that is used for insulin injections is a 27
(sometimes a 31)....or are you talking about the needle for injecting
novocaine.

(If you're putting in IV solutions, like sodium brevital with a needle that
small it would take you all day, heh.)

Just to remind you, since blood is a solid suspended in a liquid, the gauge
has to be pretty large so as not to hemolyze the cells - turbulence and
soforth complicates it. You -might- get away with a 20 gauge for whole
blood infused slowly.

Regular IV solutions could be given though any size needle if you're
talking crystalloid, like Sodium Chloride solution, or D5W. They usually
use a 20, or 22. For infants, sometimes they use a scalp vein, even as
small as 23 gauge for blood, but it's infused diluted and very slowly.

But yeah, it should be pretty easy to find a vein on those thin-skinned
lycra-wearers, eh? But you said 'perineal veins'. Are you sure about that?

-jet

Old October 11th 05, 04:23 AM
Jet

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:47:17 -0400, MagillaGorilla
wrote:

Good point. I'm pretty clueless about this. I assumed the packed
cells were reconstituted before transfusing.
In any case, a bum of a phlebotomist will leave a mark with a 30 ga.
needle (I generally use a 27 ga. at work; I'm guessing even routine IV
lines are running on considerably larger needles.
Still, who's gonna check all those perineal veins?

Steve

27 ga. needles? What do you do with that - amniocentisis?

Magilla

Larger values mean smaller diameter. 16 gauge needle is quite large, and is
used for blood donation.

27gauge needle is that used for insulin injections - it's tiny.

The gauge is not related to the 'length'.

-jet