Seeking avenue to learn about bikes & bicycling

Old April 4th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
1st.Spirit

Default Seeking avenue to learn about bikes & bicycling

I joined this group in hopes of learning about bikes ... so as to
purchase one. I know nothing of purchasing a bike. I understand the
concepts of road & off-road & trail & dirt ...etc. But do not know
what that means as far as the different styles of bicycles -- other
than the tires are different.

Please direct me to a group or web address where I can learn about
bikes and bicycling -- and most importantly how & where to purchase.
I have never purchased a bike before -- have ridden ... but not
purchased. I am female & 50's & live in Virginia.

Thanks,
SHiRL

Old April 5th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Mike Hamilton

Go to your local bicycle shop and they will give you the lowdown. Then
go to another one to get a second opinion.

Mike

Old April 5th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On Apr 4, 6:27 am, "1st.Spirit" wrote:
I joined this group in hopes of learning about bikes ... so as to
purchase one. I know nothing of purchasing a bike. I understand the
concepts of road & off-road & trail & dirt ...etc. But do not know
what that means as far as the different styles of bicycles -- other
than the tires are different.

Please direct me to a group or web address where I can learn about
bikes and bicycling -- and most importantly how & where to purchase.
I have never purchased a bike before -- have ridden ... but not
purchased. I am female & 50's & live in Virginia.

Thanks,
SHiRL

Go to a few local bike shops, talk to them. Let them know early on you
are there for an education, not necessarily to buy at that moment. If
they whine and say 'buy this now', go somewhere else. Look for
somebody other than a young kid to talk to.

Old April 5th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/