Bicycle seat post vs standard unicycle

Old March 21st 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mtnjeffe

Default Bicycle seat post vs standard unicycle

I just placed an order for a 26" Hunter and I want to start accumulating
the rest of the parts. I like the availablility and adjustability of a
rail conversion with a 27.2 bicycle seat post but I wonder about
reliability as muni riding places stresses on the post that it was not
designed for. Has anbody had any failures from this set up or am I just
overthinking it?

--
mtnjeffe
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 21st 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

Another option is to use the Scott Wallis seat base, but it may take a
while to get the order since he usually has a queue of orders.

http://www.wallisdesign.com/HANDLEpics.html

As far as your question as to strength when using a rail adapter...I
have had no issues with strength while using my rail adapters. They
are kind of bulky and heavy though, but I don't mind it. You shouldn't
have an issue with strength, and if you do, just upgrade to a Thomson
post.

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland

James = my name
'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 21st 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
osmundo

I emailed scott last week and he had bases ready to go, but you'd have
to build up the saddle yourself. I'd like to go this route for my new
36er. $170 just for the base is pretty expensive.
The rail adapter is great, strong. I use it for both Muni and Road
cause I like the tilt it can provide. But it does add weight and I
don't run a brake, so it seems like a lot.

--
osmundo
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 21st 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

Bike seat posts are fine for unicycles; the biggest problem is in the
rail adapters, which tend to have crappy welding jobs. But then, so do
unicycle seat posts.

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 21st 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

Double-check the seatpost diameter for the Hunter. It's not 27.2 unless
he has changed the tubing he uses. I think it's 26.8 or something like
that.

The rail adapter option works fine for muni. I have rail adapters on
my Coker and my muni and other unicycles. I had one break at a weld
but that was after many years of use. Just keep a spare on hand if
you're concerned and don't want to lose riding time due to waiting for
a new part.

The other option is the Scott Wallis design. No rails. Very sexy.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni