all I want in a cycling GPS...

Old August 11th 04, 02:08 PM
Kyle.B.H

Default all I want in a cycling GPS...

....is to be able to enter waypoints in from my PC (specifically either MS
Streets and Trips or National Geographic TOPO!), and for it to beep at me
when I'm nearing one. I don't need maps, or soft female voices warning me
of a turn, just something that I can stick in my pocket or mount to my bike
that allows me to keep riding instead of having to stop and figure out if I
just missed my turn.

The Geko 201 looks close with its upcoming turn feature, but no audible
signal, just a visual 'bent arrow'.

Any other suggestions, specifically cost effective units?

Thanks,

Kyle

Old August 11th 04, 02:15 PM
Kyle.B.H

I should mention that I also have an iPaq with a CF slot and bluetooth that
I'd be willing to leverage if thecost weren't too high.

Old August 11th 04, 09:24 PM
daveornee

Kyle.B.H Wrote:
....is to be able to enter waypoints in from my PC (specifically either
MS
Streets and Trips or National Geographic TOPO!), and for it to beep at
me
when I'm nearing one. I don't need maps, or soft female voices warning
me
of a turn, just something that I can stick in my pocket or mount to my
bike
that allows me to keep riding instead of having to stop and figure out
if I
just missed my turn.

The Geko 201 looks close with its upcoming turn feature, but no
audible
signal, just a visual 'bent arrow'.

Any other suggestions, specifically cost effective units?

Thanks,

Kyle

I keep looking at the Garmin 60 and 60CS. They have handlebar mount.
I am not at all sure if it would meet your specific needs, but it may
be a possibility... and I am sure that sticker shock is around your
corner... and it is what is keeping me from learning more.

--
daveornee

Old August 11th 04, 10:23 PM
Peter

Gary wrote:

I am very happy with my Garmin Etrex Venture.

I wouldn't count out units like the eTrex Venture and the Geko 201
on the basis of not having an audible beep. As long as you
mount the unit in plain view on your handlebars then while
following a route it will display both distance and est. time
remaining to your next turn. So you'll have plenty of warning
that a turn is coming up and you should glance at the screen more
often so you won't miss it. The other thing to note is that
it's very easy to miss the audible beep from units that do
have that feature. A passing car, a shout from someone, or
numerous other noises can drown out the sound of the beep.

So even though the eMap I use has a beeper, I still pay attention
to the boxes that show distance & time to the next turn.
BTW, the eMap or other somewhat older units like the 12XL would
also be good choices. The eMap regularly sells on eBay for under
$100 and would give you the option of later adding detailed maps
if you decide you'd like those afterall. The built-in basemap
is about equivalent to a state highway map and would frequently be
sufficient to at least find your way back if you ever get seriously
off course. The optional detailed maps include all residential and
rural roads plus many business locations. Very handy when touring
to be able to lookup the nearest restaurants, grocery stores, motels,
campgrounds, etc.

Other units to consider that can be found for $100 or less are the
older Magellan 315 (no maps but has beeper) and Magellan 330 (maps and
beeper).

Old August 12th 04, 01:06 PM
Trevor Jeffrey

Kyle.B.H wrote in message
...is to be able to enter waypoints in from my PC (specifically either MS
Streets and Trips or National Geographic TOPO!), and for it to beep at me
when I'm nearing one. I don't need maps, or soft female voices warning me
of a turn, just something that I can stick in my pocket or mount to my bike
that allows me to keep riding instead of having to stop and figure out if I
just missed my turn.

The Geko 201 looks close with its upcoming turn feature, but no audible
signal, just a visual 'bent arrow'.

Any other suggestions, specifically cost effective units?

A paper map needs no batteries so wont let you down.

Trevor

Old August 12th 04, 03:24 PM
Rick Onanian

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:23:22 -0700, Peter
wrote:
Gary wrote:
I am very happy with my Garmin Etrex Venture.

mount the unit in plain view on your handlebars then while

I'm also happy with my Etrex Venture for mountain biking. I've never
tried to interface it with proper mapping software, though.

The Etrex bicycle handlebar mount is secure and easy to use.

it's very easy to miss the audible beep from units that do
have that feature. A passing car, a shout from someone, or
numerous other noises can drown out the sound of the beep.

A noisy derailer, a rock kicked up by the tire, your riding partner
babbling, wind, etc. It would have to be a repeated beep and pretty
loud, at least like an alarm clock.
--
Rick Onanian
Old August 12th 04, 09:53 PM
Ken F.

"Kyle.B.H" wrote in message news:%SoSc.239927$%_6.58656@attbi_s01...

The Geko 201 looks close with its upcoming turn feature, but no audible
signal, just a visual 'bent arrow'.

Any other suggestions, specifically cost effective units?

A bit less cost effective but nicely suited to bike use is the
Foretrex (101 and 201). They aren't much bigger than an ordinary
cyclometer and have all the features of the Geko 201. The Foretrex 101
uses AAA batteries while the 201 is a bit smaller and uses a permanent
rechargable Lithium-ion battery.
Nice 10,000 point track log so you can record where you've been too.

KF

Old August 13th 04, 01:24 AM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:06:18 +0100, "Trevor Jeffrey"
wrote:
A paper map needs no batteries so wont let you down.

A paper map requires you to stop to view it, unless you keep it very
small. A paper map will not zoom. A paper map does not know which
direction you are currently heading. Etc.

A paper map _will_ let you down, when a gust of wind comes along and
tears it from your hands, or when a sudden downpour/crash at a
stream crossing [for mountain biking] soaks it. It will let you down
at night unless you also remember to bring a flashlight -- which you
then must hold over it with one hand while hoping to keep the map
open and flat with the other.

A paper map will let you down when you get somewhere that isn't
mapped. My GPS keeps track of where I've been and automatically
makes a map, so the next time I go back, I have a map that nobody
else has.

A GPS like the Garmin Etrex series is waterproof, small, securely
mounted to the handlebar, zoomable, has a pointer that shows you
which direction to go at all times, and a backlight that comes on
either from pressing a button or when the sun goes down.

Paper maps are great; they run without batteries (unless it's dark
out) and can be usable after hit with a sledgehammer. As long as you
stay in the map's area and protect it well, it won't malfunction.
Still, a GPS has many advantages that are worth the money and risk
of battery death for some people. I carry extra batteries.
--
Rick Onanian