Chain snap, rider seriously injured

Old September 16th 04, 05:45 AM
Mark

I hope your friend recovers quickly, and fully from these injuries he
sustained.
I can sympathize fully, as I had a somewhat similar occurrence happen
to me when I was a teenager riding a relatively new English Road Bike
I owned.

One difference though, I went down due to Chain Skip, and not the
Chain Breaking. Due to the Rear Derailleur Shifter Not being firmly
adjusted/clamped (Friction Downtube Shifters), was barreling full tilt
out of the saddle when the bike slipped out of a gear. Yup, went
right over/through the bars just like your friend, but luckily, I did
not break any bones, just numerous nasty deep scrapes all over my
arms, hands, and legs when I hit the Ashphalt at about 30mph. I was
bleeding like a pig, but was more worried about the bike! lol Luckily,
only just very minor damage to my bike's front Brake Caliper.

Your post is a very good reminder to us all, to carefully
inspect/check chains, (And Shifting Systems/Cables/Brakes) frequently,
as a snapped cable, or a Shifting system that cannot maintain proper
gear selection will cause the very same disastrous results when really
pedaling hard out of the saddle. Mark D.
Old September 16th 04, 06:04 AM

Tom Sherman writes:

... This is a hard way to learn that joining a chain must be done
with understanding of the operation and by using the proper
tools...

Is the Rohloff Revolver a "proper tool" that allows reusing pins or
just really expensive?

http://www.rohloffusa.com/pdf/revolver.pdf

I haven't used one but had one in hand at the InterBike show. To me
it seemed to be an expensive chain tool with no special advantages. I
dodge that issue by not using extra narrow chains for cassette
clusters that require such chains with pins that have practically no
radius to assist re-insertion. I have the old chain pliers that have
a push-out pin and a press-in pocket, side-by-side. Just squeeze the
pliers and it's out and again an it's in.

Jobst Brandt

Old September 16th 04, 07:40 AM
R15757

Jobst Brandt wrote:

Describing the fall only suggests sympathy for the rider but the
essence of the event is that the chain separated with no material
failure, something the title implies. The chain came apart and
judging from the millions of chains in use that do not separate even
with many times the load in this event, I am sure that this was a
mechanical error. A crudely pushed in link pin can be inserted too
far or not far enough, or by initially missing a side-plate hole,
broach out the bore to make a loose fit.

Another way to break a chain is to
smack it hard on a rock while trail
riding in the big ring. The impact
spreads the plates then later on
the chain comes apart.

Robert
Old September 16th 04, 11:03 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:06:32 -0500, kantspel
wrote:

So your saying I should probably replace that chain I repaired by
stomping the pin back in with my foot?

Unless you use precision tools like a rock and a rusty nail, be
careful.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old September 16th 04, 01:44 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

psycholist- It looks as if one plate came off the pin
and the chain pulled apart. No metal actually snapped. BRBR
They make his chain with and without a "quick
link" that can be adjusted by hand without a tool. BRBR

No chain made today that uses a quick link can be reassembled w/o one, that is
by pushing the pin back in with a tool. If you do that, you risk breaking it,
just like he did, if he reinstalled it improperly.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 16th 04, 01:45 PM
Art Harris

A Muzi wrote:

That didn't 'just happen'. A link was not joined properly.

We strongly advise use of snaplinks and attempt to dissuade
customers from setting rivets in modern chain exactly
because of your and similar incidents.

There are still a lot of riders who insist they don't need
some sissy snaplink. They're perfectly capable of setting a
measly chain rivet with the same tool they've used for 25
years thank you.

Problem is, chain is different and setting a rivet now is
just not safe.

I've never used a snap link so maybe I'm missing something. But
doesn't the snap link have to be connected to the rest of the chain
initially by using a chain tool? If so, an improperly installed pin
could still cause a failure.

I admit I like the Shimano "special pin" method.

Art Harris
Old September 16th 04, 02:22 PM
kantspel

kantspel wrote:

So your saying I should probably replace that chain I repaired by
stomping the pin back in with my foot?
who needs sissy snaplinks or chaintools

You should use a snaplink.
Modern chain is harder.
The pin/plate interface is tighter.
The plates are thinner.
Rivets can't be set poorly or unevenly without risk of separation.

We see way too any rider injuries from poorly set rivets. Use a snaplink.

That's all fine and well in a shop, but when your stranded without tools
you have to make due.
Old September 16th 04, 02:36 PM
velomanct

my shimano 9 speed chain has about 10,000miles on it. it still hasn'
broken, even after a lot of standing standing starts and max torqu
efforts(for fun, ~85ft lbs). i can't believe it held up to that
sprinting from a dead stop on a hill in my 39x23. that's 3 times a
much force on the chain compared to a flat sprint at speed.
it sure would be ugly if the chain broke during a standing start.
know, i am asking for it. i can tell you my rear wheel doesn't like th
abuse - 3 broken spokes in 3 weeks.

i think it just comes down to how well the chain was manufactured. som
chains are built poor and will break

--
velomanct