chip in Carbon fork

Old September 2nd 03, 01:13 PM
Snake

Default chip in Carbon fork

Okay I drove into the garage with the bike on the roof rack and my Coda
carbon fork showed surface cracking at the crown. Although I couldn't get
the fork to creak, click, deform, or budge, I decided to have it replaced
("the wages of fork failure is death"). My LBS installed a Kinesis fork and
when I picked it up it had a small (1mm) chip out of the black paint or
clearcoat on the crown bend. What do you think? IS this acceptable or
would you bitch? The shop always gives me good service and when I pointed
out the chip the mechanic shrugged and said, "Hmm, I musta nicked it with a
tool or something... Ok, your total comes to ...."
Mark Atwell
(remove the dashes in .com to reply)

Old September 2nd 03, 02:19 PM
Arthur Clune

Snake -o-m wrote:
: would you bitch? The shop always gives me good service and when I pointed
: out the chip the mechanic shrugged and said, "Hmm, I musta nicked it with a
: tool or something... Ok, your total comes to ...."

Well, a nick in the clearcoat isn't a great problem, but any decent LBS
would replace the fork under their insurance.

Arthur

Old September 2nd 03, 03:29 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Snake- My LBS installed a Kinesis fork and
when I picked it up it had a small (1mm) chip out of the black paint or
clearcoat on the crown bend. BRBR
Not a structural problem but the response-" the mechanic shrugged and said,
"Hmm, I musta nicked it with a
tool or something... Ok, your total comes to ...." BRBR

Is not satisfactory...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 3rd 03, 03:30 PM
Snake

Thanks boys, I'm thinking of just using a black marker or black gloss paint
to cover up the ding... The LBS manager is a buddy and gives me great deals
on everything I want and I don't want to gripe about something cosmetic...
Snake
(remove the dashes in .com)
"A Muzi" wrote in message
"Snake" -o-m wrote in message
et...
Okay I drove into the garage with the bike on the roof rack and my Coda
carbon fork showed surface cracking at the crown. Although I couldn't

get
the fork to creak, click, deform, or budge, I decided to have it

replaced
("the wages of fork failure is death"). My LBS installed a Kinesis fork

and
when I picked it up it had a small (1mm) chip out of the black paint or
clearcoat on the crown bend. What do you think? IS this acceptable or
would you bitch? The shop always gives me good service and when I

pointed
out the chip the mechanic shrugged and said, "Hmm, I musta nicked it

with
tool or something... Ok, your total comes to ...."

Having very recently sanded out a clear nick and resprayed a carbon fork
myself, I think you paid for a pristine fork.

If they offered you the choice of a good one or this dinged one, at what
differential value would you take this one? If you are going to pursue

this
with the owner of the shop, do it right away so there's no issue of where
that ding came from.

And it isn't just carbon, either. If the same paint were gouged out of a
new steel frame you'd be right to ask about an adjustment.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old September 3rd 03, 07:30 PM
bfd

"Snake" -o-m wrote in message . net...
Thanks boys, I'm thinking of just using a black marker or black gloss paint
to cover up the ding... The LBS manager is a buddy and gives me great deals
on everything I want and I don't want to gripe about something cosmetic...
Snake
(remove the dashes in .com)

If its just a "chip" in the clear coat and the carbon is now showing,
just put some clear nail polish on it and ride....