Highest paved roads

Old July 31st 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
bob sullivan

Default Highest paved roads

Hi, everybody,

Came across this site this afternoon, and I thought it looked
interesting enough to post about:

http://www.torelli.com/kom/default.htm

If you click on the 'Climbs/Races' button, there are links
to paved road climbs in Africa, Asia-Pacific, Canada,
Europe, Latin America/Caribbean, and the United States.
Some neat information, like the fact that at 14,130 feet,
Mt. Evans, Colorado is the highest paved road climb in North
America.

Happy climbing!

~bob
Old August 1st 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

bob sullivan wrote:
SNIP
Some neat information, like the fact that at 14,130 feet,
Mt. Evans, Colorado is the highest paved road climb in North
America.

Good thing to remember on Evans is that after you ride up it, you have
to ride back down. It's not just very high, it's also very narrow,
winding, and heavily traveled. I drove up that peak in '89, and a couple
of cyclists saw my bike rack and bummed a ride back down. They were
visibly relieved not to be facing that descent.

Bill

__o | Look to the past and remember no empire rises
_`\(,_ | that sooner or later won't fall.
(_)/ (_) | --Al Stewart
Old August 1st 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Claire Petersky

"bob sullivan" wrote in message
. ..
Hi, everybody,

Came across this site this afternoon, and I thought it looked
interesting enough to post about:

http://www.torelli.com/kom/default.htm

If you click on the 'Climbs/Races' button, there are links
to paved road climbs in Africa, Asia-Pacific, Canada,

I've done Highwood Pass, the highest paved road in Canada -- that was on
last year's tour of the Canadian Rockies. You can see a picture the way up
he http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/Author.htm, and at the top and more
photos he http://www.davidlouislevine.com/Tour...ay4%201330.htm.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old August 2nd 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Raptor

mark wrote:
I rode up it with a friend in August of 2004 and we got caught in a
snowstorm at the top. I was okay, but the low body fat that helped my
friend ride me into the ground going up got her into serious trouble on
the way down. By the time we got to the lodge at Echo Lake she was
pretty hypothermic. Her hands were so cold that I was afraid she
wouldn't be able to work the brake levers on the decent.

mark

I recall a similar ride up Little Cottonwood Canyon one Autumn. No snow,
but the temperature difference made the first five minutes of the
descent almost unbearable. I sweat a lot, and it worked well to cool me
that day.

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,
Old August 3rd 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
bob sullivan

Claire Petersky wrote:
"bob sullivan" wrote in message
. ..
Hi, everybody,

Came across this site this afternoon, and I thought it looked
interesting enough to post about:

http://www.torelli.com/kom/default.htm

If you click on the 'Climbs/Races' button, there are links
to paved road climbs in Africa, Asia-Pacific, Canada,

I've done Highwood Pass, the highest paved road in Canada -- that was on
last year's tour of the Canadian Rockies. You can see a picture the way up
he http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/Author.htm, and at the top and more
photos he http://www.davidlouislevine.com/Tour...ay4%201330.htm.

Anybody know offhand what the highest paved road in Wyoming is?

Thanks,
~bob
Old August 3rd 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Chuck Anderson

bob sullivan wrote:
Claire Petersky wrote:

"bob sullivan" wrote in message
. ..

Hi, everybody,

Came across this site this afternoon, and I thought it looked
interesting enough to post about:

http://www.torelli.com/kom/default.htm

If you click on the 'Climbs/Races' button, there are links
to paved road climbs in Africa, Asia-Pacific, Canada,

I've done Highwood Pass, the highest paved road in Canada -- that was on
last year's tour of the Canadian Rockies. You can see a picture the way up
he http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/Author.htm, and at the top and more
photos he http://www.davidlouislevine.com/Tour...ay4%201330.htm.

Anybody know offhand what the highest paved road in Wyoming is?

Thanks,
~bob

http://www.allgetaways.com/view_dest...nid=XFA134-003

"A 94-mile paved route over the Beartooth Mountains on the highest
highway in Wyoming, past alpine lakes and lush forest, and through the
Absaroka Mountains into Yellowstone National Park."

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old August 3rd 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
bob sullivan

Chuck Anderson wrote:
bob sullivan wrote:
Claire Petersky wrote:
[...]

Sweet. Thanks!

~bob

specifically roads only big wheel? abbabibble Unicycling 25 December 6th 05 12:56 AM
Ride Pictures: Johansen and Gazos Creek Roads, November 2005 Bill Bushnell Rides 1 November 26th 05 07:20 PM
Ride Pictures: Old Haul and Gazos Creek Roads, November 2005 Bill Bushnell Rides 2 November 22nd 05 06:25 PM
dangers of rural roads wafflycat UK 48 May 18th 05 10:25 AM
Am I ready to start bicycling on the roads [email protected] General 14 February 22nd 04 03:12 AM