I NEED INCREDIBLY STRONG RIMS! I hear mixed reviews and don't know what to think; your help?

Old March 14th 07, 02:18 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Syd

Default I NEED INCREDIBLY STRONG RIMS! I hear mixed reviews and don't know what to think; your help?

I'm VERY hard on rims, that's inevitably going to be my downfall... In
the meantime, I'm looking for a set of rims for my Norco (150x12 and
20mm front) that will at least tolerate some of the abuse. I've put
together a little list including Industry Nine FR/DH's, Atomlab Pimps,
DT swiss FR/DH's (w/440 hubs), DT swiss FR 2350's, Azonic outlaws, and
Mavic Deemax. I'm afraid of the Outlaw's being cheezy, and I've heard
things about the Deemax's having pawls break and the rear hubs
exploding; but there are mixed reviews on the two wheelsets. This may
be specuation, but the Pimps seem like the strongest, being 32mm and
all. All the rims have something I like, most of all I like the way
the spokes lace into the Industry Nine's. Any suggestions for a rim
that's truly "tough as hell"?

Old March 14th 07, 02:23 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Syd wrote:
I'm VERY hard on rims, that's inevitably going to be my downfall... In
the meantime, I'm looking for a set of rims for my Norco (150x12 and
20mm front) that will at least tolerate some of the abuse. I've put
together a little list including Industry Nine FR/DH's, Atomlab Pimps,
DT swiss FR/DH's (w/440 hubs), DT swiss FR 2350's, Azonic outlaws, and
Mavic Deemax. I'm afraid of the Outlaw's being cheezy, and I've heard
things about the Deemax's having pawls break and the rear hubs
exploding; but there are mixed reviews on the two wheelsets. This may
be specuation, but the Pimps seem like the strongest, being 32mm and
all. All the rims have something I like, most of all I like the way
the spokes lace into the Industry Nine's. Any suggestions for a rim
that's truly "tough as hell"?

You're gonna cry when those I-9's bust apart. If you are that hard I
wouldn't spend that kind of $$$ on a flashy wheel like I-9. I have a
similar problem with rims (smashing into trees and rocks doesn't help).
Time and time again, the rim that has never let me down has been the
Sun Rhyno Lite.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old March 14th 07, 03:59 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Slack

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:18:57 -0700, Syd wrote:

I'm VERY hard on rims, that's inevitably going to be my downfall... In
the meantime, I'm looking for a set of rims for my Norco (150x12 and
20mm front) that will at least tolerate some of the abuse. I've put
together a little list including Industry Nine FR/DH's, Atomlab Pimps,
DT swiss FR/DH's (w/440 hubs), DT swiss FR 2350's, Azonic outlaws, and
Mavic Deemax. I'm afraid of the Outlaw's being cheezy, and I've heard
things about the Deemax's having pawls break and the rear hubs
exploding; but there are mixed reviews on the two wheelsets. This may
be specuation, but the Pimps seem like the strongest, being 32mm and
all. All the rims have something I like, most of all I like the way
the spokes lace into the Industry Nine's. Any suggestions for a rim
that's truly "tough as hell"?

Call Go-RIde. Tell them your situation [you're a DH hack] and then let
Krispy or V-dub build you a set.... problem sovled.
--
Slack
Old March 14th 07, 04:45 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
wizardB

Syd wrote:
I'm VERY hard on rims, that's inevitably going to be my downfall... In
the meantime, I'm looking for a set of rims for my Norco (150x12 and
20mm front) that will at least tolerate some of the abuse. I've put
together a little list including Industry Nine FR/DH's, Atomlab Pimps,
DT swiss FR/DH's (w/440 hubs), DT swiss FR 2350's, Azonic outlaws, and
Mavic Deemax. I'm afraid of the Outlaw's being cheezy, and I've heard
things about the Deemax's having pawls break and the rear hubs
exploding; but there are mixed reviews on the two wheelsets. This may
be specuation, but the Pimps seem like the strongest, being 32mm and
all. All the rims have something I like, most of all I like the way
the spokes lace into the Industry Nine's. Any suggestions for a rim
that's truly "tough as hell"?

For XC mavic XM819 or XC717 depending on what tires you ride and for
free riding EX721 or EX325 again depending on tires.Also you might want
to look at the Hope Hugi hubs they are very well built.
Old March 14th 07, 04:52 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

On Mar 13, 8:18 pm, "Syd" wrote:
I'm VERY hard on rims, that's inevitably going to be my downfall... In
the meantime, I'm looking for a set of rims for my Norco (150x12 and
20mm front) that will at least tolerate some of the abuse. I've put
together a little list including Industry Nine FR/DH's, Atomlab Pimps,
DT swiss FR/DH's (w/440 hubs), DT swiss FR 2350's, Azonic outlaws, and
Mavic Deemax. I'm afraid of the Outlaw's being cheezy, and I've heard
things about the Deemax's having pawls break and the rear hubs
exploding; but there are mixed reviews on the two wheelsets. This may
be specuation, but the Pimps seem like the strongest, being 32mm and
all. All the rims have something I like, most of all I like the way
the spokes lace into the Industry Nine's. Any suggestions for a rim
that's truly "tough as hell"?

You might try some well-hand-built Deemax.

CDB

Old March 14th 07, 11:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
pete fagerlin

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

You're gonna cry when those I-9's bust apart. If you are that hard I
wouldn't spend that kind of $$$ on a flashy wheel like I-9. I have a
similar problem with rims (smashing into trees and rocks doesn't help).
Time and time again, the rim that has never let me down has been the
Sun Rhyno Lite.

You're confused about I9 wheelsets. You can match their hubs
to the rim (key word contained in the OP)of your choice. While
the color choices make for some potentially flashy wheelsets,
their hub and spoke design is burly.
Old March 15th 07, 12:37 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Mar 13, 6:23 pm, Ride-A-Lot wrote:
Time and time again, the rim that has never let me down has been the
Sun Rhyno Lite.

Those are crap. Angry Man pulled spokes through the eyelets on one
and they have tolerance issues that can either make a tire hard to put
on, or come unseated.

JD

Old March 15th 07, 12:39 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Mar 13, 7:59 pm, Slack wrote:
Call Go-RIde.

I wouldn't bother with cutting a fart at those boneheads. They are
unimpressive at best.

JD

Old March 15th 07, 12:50 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Syd

For XC mavic XM819 or XC717 depending on what tires you ride and for
free riding EX721 or EX325 again depending on tires.Also you might want
to look at the Hope Hugi hubs they are very well built.

Thanks wizardB, that's somewhat helpful... but I'm talking something
that is bombproof

Old March 15th 07, 04:19 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
wizardB

Syd wrote:
For XC mavic XM819 or XC717 depending on what tires you ride and for
free riding EX721 or EX325 again depending on tires.Also you might want
to look at the Hope Hugi hubs they are very well built.

Thanks wizardB, that's somewhat helpful... but I'm talking something
that is bombproof

The EX325 on a Hugi hub Built with gage spokes and brass nipples is
about as Bomb proof as you can make a wheel.IMHO