Say it aint so Shimano ... PART 2

Old August 19th 03, 10:56 PM
B. Sanders

Default Say it aint so Shimano ... PART 2

"Kenny Lee" wrote in message
bfd wrote:
"Donald Gillies" wrote in message

Looks to me Japan-style price deflation is taking down prices of
engineered bicycle components everywhere. Shimano isn't the only
component-maker trying to prop up prices to stay alive. See the
recent notice from Chris King, listed below, for another desperate
attempt to maintain prices in the market channel. Perhaps new Chinese
components will be hitting the USA mainland soon ??

Interesting, but are Chinese made components going to be able to compete
with the likes of Chris King? Does anyone make headsets comparable to

Chris
King? At any price? I think not! At around $100 or less, CK headsets are
arguably the best. What do you have?

I live and ride in Taiwan. I've been told that Campy, Look, SRAM, TREK
and a whole bunch of others are doing a whole lot of business here in
Taiwan.

I have no doubt that this is the case.

I can bear witness that the people here and in China have the resources
and the ability to manufacture bike parts to NASA specs, be it metal or
CF. I've seen them, bought them and am using them right now. The prices
are unbelivable. Sorry to say this but, if I were CK or PW I'd seriouly
consider moving my production to Taiwan.

The only people who care about the "Made in America" cachet are Americans.
Correct me if I'm wrong here. I think just about everybody else has moved
on, especially when they see the difference in retail margins between
USA-made and Taiwan-made frames, wheels and components.

For instance, many lightweight racing wheelsets - often with European or US
brand names - are made in Taiwan and mainland China. How can US-made goods
compete?

Have a look at the A-Class website and see if these wheelsets look familiar:

http://aclass-wheels.com/

The following link points to a company that makes world class quality CF
parts, CHEAP. For prices contact them directly.

http://www.pazzaz.com/

I would bet a round of Guinness that Pazzazz makes some of the "Weyless"
components (cranks, stems, seatpost, etc) sold by SuperGo, and probably
other house-branded parts from other mail-order outfits. Looks like great
stuff to me. I've used Pazzazz carbon components in the past, and they were
excellent quality.

-Barry

Old August 20th 03, 12:10 AM
S. Anderson

"Mark Wolfe" wrote in message
It's price fixing. Why not let the market decide the what it will fetch.
I gave 100 for mine and didn't have an issue with it because of the
reputation and the quality of the headset. They don't need to go to

these
tatics to set a price. As a shop, you've got your cost on the part, if

CK
wants to bring the price up for all bike shops, they need to increase what
they charge for the part and let the bike shops decide on what sort of
profit they make. Not make the shops sign an agreement to maintain a
certain price.

Mark

I tend to agree. And it's not only Shimano and CK. Certain bicycle
manufacturers insisted on maintaining prices throughout the dealer network.
This was true for complete bikes as well as parts. If you bought 2000 13"
bikes in one model, you were forbidden from discounting them when you
relized that there weren't that many people under 5' in your neighbourhood.
To me, that's price fixing. The only people that lose are the consumers.
And possibly CK in the long run as people turn to cheaper alternatives. And
headsets of all things! The most overrated piece of equipment on a bike.

My $0.02CDN,

Scott..

Old August 20th 03, 01:01 AM
Fred Marx

Better yet, all shops hit by this should get together and
file a class action suit.

--Bill Davidson

yea let's all get together and support our friendly local ambulance
chaser......
yea right, just what needs to happen more lawsuits. Why not just get
the merchants together and BOYCOTT King? Hit em where it hurts.. If
they're product doesn't get sold that'll hurt more than a stinking
lawsuit. Oh wait that's what Branford is doing isn't it.

Old August 20th 03, 02:10 AM
basjan

Amen Scott - blah blah about King, while a WTB has lasted me years and is
still going very strong, and at low maintanance. Let them "price-it-up",
I'll get my stuff elsewhere, may not be as cool, but hey, if you need a
headset to feel better about yourself...

..

Old August 20th 03, 02:25 AM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 04:31:15 GMT, "Richard Ney" may
have said:

Chris King probably flies well under the radar screen of the US DOJ.

Perhaps not for long. I doubt that they have the clout or connections
to survive even the first phone call.

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Old August 20th 03, 02:46 AM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:03:03 -0700, Mike S. mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet wrote:
That's called Labor. Where do you think shops make their money? It
certainly ain't on parts!

If they didn't make any money on parts, they
wouldn't sell parts except when they will install
them; then it would be wise to price the parts
with labor included. That's actually a good idea
for a LBS. Hmm...

Anyway, like I was saying, if they didn't make
anything on parts, and didn't sell them except
for their own installation, that would suck,
IMO. I like to be able to go and get a part as
soon as I need it, even at a higher price.

My shop makes a sufficient margin on parts. I am
willing to buy there, because he always takes such
good care of me -- any problem, he takes care of
it. Whatever I buy, he tells me how to install it.
And so on.

I had suspected that he makes almost no margin
on parts, because his prices are not terrible,
but when I had a problem and jokingly mentioned
that thought after he solved a problem I had
with parts, he said he makes enough to be worth
it. Good for him!

Mike

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 20th 03, 01:40 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

mark- As a shop, you've got your cost on the part, if CK
wants to bring the price up for all bike shops, they need to increase what
they charge for the part and let the bike shops decide on what sort of
profit they make. BRBR

The cost of the HS has stayed the same. CK wishes to not have the HS sold at a
discount., at a lower margin.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 20th 03, 01:44 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

fred- Why not just get
the merchants together and BOYCOTT King? Hit em where it hurts.. BRBR

Brick and morter bike shops applaud this and other measures that prevents
discounting..Bike shops, who do not discount everything to try to compete with
MO, think CK has a good idea. The 'merchants' that are whining are mailorder,
not store fronts.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.