HEART RATE

Old April 11th 08, 07:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default HEART RATE

On Apr 11, 12:31*am, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:
Andrew Price wrote:
210 - (half age in years) - (0.11*(weight in kg)) + 4

Are tou sure you put the brackets right? Seems a bit pointless to
separate 210 + 4.

max hr formulas are techno-medico bull... do a standing out of the
saddle run up a tough incline, or hold a good sprint at the end of a
few hours on the road- you'll see your max or thereabouts; and you'll
see your max drop as you spend more time on the road- such as during
the spring. I read that eddy had a very low max, something like
150bpm...the point is that the max hr is a very personal thing, and
there is no formula or point in comparison to any other individual
than yourself; hr monitoring and bpm numbers are useful intelectual
exercises to help quantify the pain and serve as a distraction during
the activity, as an excuse to ease off or provide a mandate to
continue; but the activity concludes with results that essentually
speak for themselves and that being the object of the activity, the hr
values are irrelevant
Old April 11th 08, 08:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
16-18 beats too low for me. Â*Just a bit above my AT HR.

wrote:
Clearly you need to eat LOT more ice cream.

Ice cream is cheaper than bagels in NY these days ?

Old April 11th 08, 10:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
graham

"Ted van de Weteringe" wrote in message
Andrew Price wrote:
210 - (half age in years) - (0.11*(weight in kg)) + 4

Are tou sure you put the brackets right? Seems a bit pointless to separate
210 + 4.

As this appears to be the same formula as the one below then the missing
link between the 210 and the 4 is that this formula is gender specific:

210 minus 50% of your age minus 5% of your body weight (pounds) + 4 if male
and 0 if female = Estimated Maximum heart rate.

Old April 11th 08, 12:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Peter Grange

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 23:22:14 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

Using a formula to figure your max HR is like fitting your shoes based
on measuring the circumfrence of your head. Some correlation for a
population probably, but near usless for an individual. The only way
to find out what max HR is is to induce it.

How do you induce max heart rate, without finding out it won't go
_that_ fast and having the rate abruptly return to zero?

Pete
Old April 11th 08, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
John Tserkezis

Peter Grange wrote:

How do you induce max heart rate, without finding out it won't go
_that_ fast and having the rate abruptly return to zero?

You clearly know about how the heart works then. You know, that fist-sized
red thing that pumps blood around your body. Just in case you weren't sure.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org
Old April 11th 08, 01:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

wrote:
Andrew Price wrote:
[...]

Yours is a good way of doing it. Ideally, you want to be warmed up. A
good way of doing it is to do several short sprints up a hill after a
good warm up. By the fifth or six sprint, your heart rate should get
up there. Running up hill sprints should also get your heart up pretty
high up there. Getting your heart rate truly high is a pain in the ass
and I don't enjoy it that much. You should aim at getting dry heaves,
or even barfing. When I was younger I would do sprint repeats once a
weak. It was awful.

Andres

HEART RATE datakoll Racing 104 April 16th 08 04:52 PM
How does a heart rate monitor pickup my heart beat and transmits? [email protected] UK 1 February 14th 06 06:02 PM
How does a heart rate monitor pickup the heart bear and transmit? [email protected] UK 1 February 14th 06 05:41 PM
Max heart rate again...? Preston Crawford General 31 December 30th 04 10:46 PM
Heart Rate Help Warren Wilson Australia 6 September 14th 04 12:35 PM