Removing a freewheel - no wheel rim

Old July 28th 14, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Removing a freewheel - no wheel rim

On 7/27/2014 7:36 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
:I was given an old Campy hub with a nice SunTour New Winner freewheel on
:it, all very low mileage. Since I still use this model of freewheel on
:a couple bikes, I'd like to get it off the Campy hub.

:Trouble is, the rim is gone. It was a tubular rim that had corroded in
:two in someone's basement. That's why the hub it was given to me.

:Before I track down a rim with a roughly correct diameter and
:temporarily build a wheel, anybody got an easier way to handle this?
:Wood blocks in a bench vise didn't do the trick. It just takes too much
:torque to crank the freewheel off.

Take the hub, the correct freewheel remover, and the half inch drive impact
socket that fits the freewheel (Park tools are all (almost all?) 1") to your
auto mechanic. (A good mechanic is likely to have the right socket, but
having it handy saves time and effort.) Have him use an air impact
wrench on it. Three seconds, done.

That's a great suggestion! THX!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 28th 14, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 07:43:44 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 7/27/2014 6:55 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
I was given an old Campy hub with a nice SunTour New Winner
freewheel on it, all very low mileage. Since I still use
this model of freewheel on a couple bikes, I'd like to get
it off the Campy hub.

Trouble is, the rim is gone. It was a tubular rim that had
corroded in two in someone's basement. That's why the hub it
was given to me.

Before I track down a rim with a roughly correct diameter
and temporarily build a wheel, anybody got an easier way to
handle this? Wood blocks in a bench vise didn't do the
trick. It just takes too much torque to crank the freewheel
off.

Clean the remover notches and mount a good sharp (not worn)
tool securely with a skewer. Mount the tool in a bench vise.
Rock the hub to set the tool fully and ensure your skewer is
tight.

Using a 24" channel lock pliers, grab the right flange,
squeeze hard and unscrew the hub. You'll have several small
dings in the flange which may be filed smooth and polished
on a cotton wheel before rebuilding the hub. A curved-jaw
pliers will leave more but smaller dings than a flat face tool.

Some guys prefer to half build the wheel on a scrap rim
using the left flange but there's a real risk of twisting
the hubshell so I don't suggest that.

The OP doesn't care if the Campy hub is destroyed removing the
freewheel - It's just the SunTour Winner freewheel he wants to save.
Old July 28th 14, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, July 28, 2014 4:23:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 07:43:44 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Some guys prefer to half build the wheel on a scrap rim
using the left flange but there's a real risk of twisting
the hubshell so I don't suggest that.

The OP doesn't care if the Campy hub is destroyed removing the
freewheel - It's just the SunTour Winner freewheel he wants to save.

Actually, I'd kind of like to keep the hub undamaged, too. I don't really
have a use for it, but I'm sort of a junk collector - if Campy hubs can be
considered junk.

I was pretty excited by the impact wrench idea, since one of my best
friends has a big compressor and impact set. But then I realized my
2-prong SunTour freewheel removal tool has just two flats in a
cylindrical body, rather than a hex body.

I suppose I could grind it to a hex, but at this point, it seems it
might be easiest to just half-ass build it into one of the old rims I own.
Fortunately, I'm sort of a junk collector.

Thanks for the ideas.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 29th 14, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
: :Trouble is, the rim is gone. It was a tubular rim that had corroded in
: :two in someone's basement. That's why the hub it was given to me.
:
: :Before I track down a rim with a roughly correct diameter and
: :temporarily build a wheel, anybody got an easier way to handle this?
: :Wood blocks in a bench vise didn't do the trick. It just takes too much
: :torque to crank the freewheel off.
:
: Take the hub, the correct freewheel remover, and the half inch drive impact
: socket that fits the freewheel (Park tools are all (almost all?) 1") to your
: auto mechanic. (A good mechanic is likely to have the right socket, but
: having it handy saves time and effort.) Have him use an air impact
: wrench on it. Three seconds, done.
:

:That's a great suggestion! THX!

Air impact tools are over used in the auto shop, but they're not used
enough in the bike shop. If you have compressed air, it's worth
getting one. You don't need much air -- you'll only use the thing to
remove stuff, and the duty cycle is "zip, done" -- so even a little
compressor is enough. I'd say antying with a six gallon tank and 120
psi would be enough to be useful for that.

--
sig 21
Old July 29th 14, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

IF BUTCHERING DRILLING a hole hub hammer a solid pin thru that then mounting in a vise....

Old July 29th 14, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

heat old freewheels with an oxy torch...then pressure inward then twist out twist in twist out...you know lika nut.
Old July 29th 14, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, July 28, 2014 7:13:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
heat old freewheels with an oxy torch...then pressure inward then twist out twist in twist out...you know lika nut.

Hey Gene, did you see Frank's post where he said he wants to use this freewheel and another post where he states he'd like to keep the hub undamaged too?

Cheers
Old July 29th 14, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Park FR-2. Readily available from distributors, if not in many
stores. ~$10.

--
sig 64
Old July 29th 14, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, July 28, 2014 3:57:51 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Unless I'm conceptualizing this wrong, an impact hammer is not going to prevent flange damage. You're still going to have to place the hub in a vice or other fixture and then apply force to the freewheel. And even if you build it in to a wheel, you'll need the right remover. I certainly would not build one with a grinder.

You could try Muzi's approach but instead of using vice grips, use a strap wrench around the hub body. Considering the rim rotted off (how does that even happen?), the freewheel is probably welded to the hub, and a strap wrench won't do the trick.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 29th 14, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

: Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Thanks again.
One thing we have in plenitude here is air:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/aircomp.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Removing a freewheel Donald Gillies Techniques 11 July 4th 05 05:53 PM
Removing a freewheel Werehatrack Techniques 1 June 30th 05 03:57 PM
Removing a freewheel [email protected] Techniques 3 June 29th 05 08:10 PM
Removing a freewheel Klaus Techniques 0 June 28th 05 05:38 PM
Removing a freewheel jtaylor Techniques 1 June 28th 05 04:31 PM