Cycle Lanes

Old December 3rd 03, 06:47 PM
AndyP

Default Cycle Lanes

If there's a cycle lane marked out on one side of the road only is there
anything in the highway code to say you should only use it in the same
direction as traffic flow on the main road. I was a bit surprised to find a
cyclist riding one in the opposite direction to everyone else today.

Old December 3rd 03, 07:16 PM
RG

"AndyP" wrote in message
If there's a cycle lane marked out on one side of the road only is there
anything in the highway code to say you should only use it in the same
direction as traffic flow on the main road. I was a bit surprised to find

cyclist riding one in the opposite direction to everyone else today.

There's no quick answer to this AFAIK - for example, around here (in
Warwickshire) there are numerous "2 way" cycle lanes on just the one side of
the road, indeed some share with pedestrians - but they are on the pavement.

If you are talking about the cycle routes that are either a simple white
line a metre or so out from the kerb, or the coloured (green or red) on road
surfaces then logic would prevail that they are "with" the traffic unless
otherwise signed (e.g. I noticed in Warwick today a street that was one way
for cars but had a two way coloured surface cycle path - BUT it was clearly
marked with the usual blue signs)

If you have a specific question on a particular route the Cycling Officer at
the LA should be able to answer.

RG

Old December 3rd 03, 10:39 PM
David Hansen

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 17:47:26 -0000 someone who may be "AndyP"
wrote this:-

If there's a cycle lane marked out on one side of the road only is there
anything in the highway code to say you should only use it in the same
direction as traffic flow on the main road.

Yes and no.

AFAIK there is nothing in law to make it only legal to ride or drive
on the left side of the road, except where there are islands and the
like where there are arrows to keep to the left.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old December 3rd 03, 11:52 PM
Richard Goodman

"AndyP" wrote in message
If there's a cycle lane marked out on one side of the road only is there
anything in the highway code to say you should only use it in the same
direction as traffic flow on the main road. I was a bit surprised to find

cyclist riding one in the opposite direction to everyone else today.

The first time it happened to me I was surprised too. Now it no longer
surprises me but it still irritates me a lot even when I'm not actually
using the lane (generally I prefer to keep out of them but they are still
occasionally useful for passing stationary traffic). It can't actually be
illegal to do it but it is, to my mind, stupid to do it. Lanes which are
not intended for bi-directional traffic are generally not wide enough for it
either, so cyclists using the lane with flow become involved in head-on
conflict with the wrong-way cyclist, not knowing which way to go to get
around him.

I see it as just another symptom of POB immaturity - someone who doesn't
know how to use the roads properly and doesn't care to learn, too selfish to
think about how their behaviour affects other road users, and too stupid to
realise they are causing increased risk to themselves as well by their
flawed thinking that if it's a cycle lane they must be in it, even if
they're going the wrong way and it's not intended to be used in that way.
Pretty much the same level of idiocy as people who put their lights on wrong
way round, as remarked in other thread, but perhaps a bit more common.

Rich

Old December 4th 03, 02:35 AM
Nathaniel Porter

wrote this:-

If there's a cycle lane marked out on one side of the road only is there
anything in the highway code to say you should only use it in the same
direction as traffic flow on the main road.

Yes and no.

AFAIK there is nothing in law to make it only legal to ride or drive
on the left side of the road, except where there are islands and the
like where there are arrows to keep to the left.

What he said, but additionally, it is conventional to pass oncoming traffic
on the left. I don't know if that's a legal requirement

Old December 4th 03, 09:08 AM
MSeries

Nathaniel Porter wrote:
What he said, but additionally, it is conventional to pass oncoming
traffic on the left. I don't know if that's a legal requirement

Left ?

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

Old December 4th 03, 09:36 AM
MSeries

MSeries wrote:
Nathaniel Porter wrote:
What he said, but additionally, it is conventional to pass oncoming
traffic on the left. I don't know if that's a legal requirement

Left ?

My left or the on coming traffic's left. Or to the left of the on coming
traffic ? (i.e his or my right) :-)

Old December 4th 03, 06:05 PM
Simon Brooke

"MSeries" writes:

Nathaniel Porter wrote:
What he said, but additionally, it is conventional to pass oncoming
traffic on the left. I don't know if that's a legal requirement

Left ?

'Vessels navigating narrow passages shall pass to starboard of one
another'.

Morning had broken. I found a rather battered tube of Araldite
resin in the bottom of the toolbag.
Old December 4th 03, 06:05 PM
Simon Brooke

"AndyP" writes:

If there's a cycle lane marked out on one side of the road only is there
anything in the highway code to say you should only use it in the same
direction as traffic flow on the main road. I was a bit surprised to find a
cyclist riding one in the opposite direction to everyone else today.

This is actually very dangerous (3 times as dangerous as riding on the
road in the normal direction of travel) according to a Californian
study URL: http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Library/riskfactors.htm

Old December 5th 03, 10:49 AM
David Martin

On 5/12/03 9:43 am, in article , "Geraint
Jones" wrote:

When cycling through a flood and confronted with an approaching dingy,
skiff, punt, or other vessel drawing less water than is required to
float your bicycle, to which side of it should you be expected to pass?

Underneath. Hold your breath and go for the Bog snorkelling championship..

However, should you meed a mounted knight or similar then you should pass
right side to right side. Like wise with a car. If you take the European
model of driving ont he right, it is much harder to gesticulate out of the
window with the 'wrong' hand (apologies to lefties).

...d

Road Centre Cycle Lanes [Not Responding] UK 9 November 13th 03 08:26 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie Racing 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie UK 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM