Getting off the Mavic Ksyrium Bandwagon

Old May 19th 05, 01:07 AM

Default Getting off the Mavic Ksyrium Bandwagon

Looking to upgrade my Velomax Vista SLs with something lighter with a
semi-low spoke count, light and used primarily for racing (climbing).

It seems that everyone is on Kysriums these days, nice weight at ~1500
grams, but (sheesh) I'm sick to death of looking at 'em, and at $800 -
900 they're expensive!

I'm wondering what a good 1400 -1500 gram wheel alternative would be.
I've looked at the Nimble Spiders -- interesting.

I'm open to hand-built customs as well.

Whaddya recommend?

Old May 19th 05, 08:14 AM
Polly

Campy makes a good wheelset, and most of thier wheelsets can be now ordered
with a shimano compatible freehub.

Old May 19th 05, 03:18 PM
App

Peter commented:

DA or Record/Chorus/Centaur hubset. Velocity Aeroheads(OC rear), 14/15
spokes, Revs in the front....1550 grams or so, $500 or so...off the
shelf stuff, better hubs than all the 'package' wheels, more reliable,
cheaper, etc.

What would you recommend for "race" wheels for the 14+ stone rider?

App

Old May 20th 05, 08:01 AM
Matt O'Toole

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

DA or Record/Chorus/Centaur hubset. Velocity Aeroheads(OC rear), 14/15
spokes, Revs in the front....1550 grams or so, $500 or so...off the
shelf stuff, better hubs than all the 'package' wheels, more reliable,
cheaper, etc.

This is only a couple of ounces heavier than my Rolf Sestriere, which have been
fine. But with a clean slate I'd go for what Peter's offering instead.

Matt O.

Old May 20th 05, 01:37 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

App wrote:
Peter commented:

DA or Record/Chorus/Centaur hubset. Velocity Aeroheads(OC rear),

14/15
spokes, Revs in the front....1550 grams or so, $500 or so...off the
shelf stuff, better hubs than all the 'package' wheels, more

reliable,
cheaper, etc.

What would you recommend for "race" wheels for the 14+ stone rider?

App

what is that weight? My calculator doesn't convert stone to lbs.

Old May 20th 05, 02:06 PM
Francesco Devittori

App wrote:

Peter commented:

DA or Record/Chorus/Centaur hubset. Velocity Aeroheads(OC rear),

14/15

spokes, Revs in the front....1550 grams or so, $500 or so...off the
shelf stuff, better hubs than all the 'package' wheels, more

reliable,

cheaper, etc.

What would you recommend for "race" wheels for the 14+ stone rider?

App

what is that weight? My calculator doesn't convert stone to lbs.

Google does
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...&btnG= Search

:-)
Old May 20th 05, 02:21 PM
App

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

what is that weight? My calculator doesn't convert stone to lbs.

Sorry - 200+ lbs. Should've put that as a parenthetical.

App