Los Altos Hills bicyclist killed in big-rig crash was a mother,nurse and a 'go-getter'

Old December 25th 10, 11:39 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Jay Beattie

Default Los Altos Hills bicyclist killed in big-rig crash was a mother,nurse and a 'go-getter'

On Dec 24, 5:11*pm, DirtRoadie wrote:
On Dec 24, 12:23*pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI

$southslope.net" wrote:
So we should celebrate contributing to the ecosystem's destruction by
overpopulation?

A good cause is worth sacrificing for. *Tom, can we count on you to do
your part?

And what about all those cats Tom owns? Too small to do meaningful
work and too big for the deep-fryer -- and environmentally unsound
(and I quote some blogger):

It's true. A new study indicates your best friend may be a greater
environmental risk than your car. Pet owners, listen up - here's how
the greenies are plotting against Mr. Snowflake.

Dogs and cats consume meat, a deeply inefficient converter of
vegetation to animal protein. "Time to Eat the Dog: The Real Guide to
Sustainable Living" by New Zealanders Robert and Brenda Vale, claims
that a medium-sized dog consumes 360 lbs of meat and about 200 lbs of
cereal a year*. To produce this load of nutrition requires over two
acres of land - more than the equivalent of driving your car 6,200
miles per year - including the energy required to build the car.

A cat consumes the production of about a third of an acre, while a
pair of hamsters is the annual energy equivalent of a plasma TV and
even a goldfish consumes enough energy to power a cell phone for a
year.

That's a pretty hefty carbon paw-print for your pet to justify. Is it
worth it? It seems pets act as anit-depressants, so if you factor in
the prescription drugs that are not necessary, we may get some of that
carbon-investment back.

Of course there are the extremists who claim it's far worse than your
pet's carbon footprint, there's the loss of biodiversity (your cat
eats birds, lizards, mice, etc.) and the matter of fecal matter that
gets into the environment, but overall, researchers claim that pets
are an ecological disaster.

7.7 million cats in England consume more than 188 million wild animals
that are hunted, killed and eaten by feline predators per year, or an
average 25 birds, mammals and frogs per cat, according to figures in
the New Scientist. Worse, your pet's poop gets into rivers and streams
causing bacterial contamination in addition to tying up oxygen and
killing fish and waterfowl."

See http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/pet...ory?id=9402234

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 26th 10, 01:54 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Dan O

$southslope.net" wrote:
[...]

Seehttp://abcnews.go.com/Technology/pet-dogs-damaging-environment-suvs/s....

We have one that catches (and eats) birds. She sometimes brings them
inside still flying. Whjee!

Birds are plentiful around, thoughj, and she is what she is. One day
a couple of bluejays dove and charged at her. Those birds had me
ducking and running.

Old December 26th 10, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 25, 3:05 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

snip

What does any of the above matter when your cat rubs up against you and
purrs into your ear. And then he looks at you with soulful eyes and you
realize this is your best friend. No one else in the world gives a ****
about you, but your cat does.

http://www.atomicpopcorn.net/wp-cont..._in_boots1.jpg

snip

Old December 26th 10, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Default Los Altos Hills bicyclist killed in big-rig crash was a mother,

On Dec 25, 11:44*am, "Duane Hebert" wrote:
"Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" " wrote in

On 12/25/2010 10:52 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:
Probably similar to what it has been in places where that is the
case. *Which is to say probably not much. *I don't want to live
in a town where a motorist will see one bike a day.

Cyclists are rare here in Iowa, but so are problems with motorists.

There is that.

Watchin' St Loo World Series Baseball from the center field camera
into the crowd behing home plate one could not avoid the obvious
conclusion that crowd was in very good comparative physical condition
across an age spectrum.
Old December 26th 10, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

kolldata wrote:
On Dec 25, 11:44 am, "Duane Hebert" wrote:
"Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" " wrote in

On 12/25/2010 10:52 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:
Probably similar to what it has been in places where that is the
case. Which is to say probably not much. I don't want to live
in a town where a motorist will see one bike a day.
Cyclists are rare here in Iowa, but so are problems with motorists.

There is that.

Watchin' St Loo World Series Baseball from the center field camera
into the crowd behing home plate one could not avoid the obvious
conclusion that crowd was in very good comparative physical condition
across an age spectrum.

Chicago not so much:
http://www.customauthenticjerseys.co...t-cubs-fan.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 26th 10, 09:52 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Dec 25, 5:39*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

Dogs and cats consume meat, a deeply inefficient converter of
vegetation to animal protein.

I suspect they're just eating the parts of the "meat" we would
otherwise throw away.

And about that inefficient conversion: While I don't disagree, I
still wonder why it costs me more per pound to buy breakfast cereal
than meat.

I guess it's cheaper to run a cow than a cereal factory.

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 26th 10, 10:28 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Dan O

On Dec 26, 12:52 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Dec 25, 5:39 pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

Dogs and cats consume meat, a deeply inefficient converter of
vegetation to animal protein.

I suspect they're just eating the parts of the "meat" we would
otherwise throw away.

And about that inefficient conversion: While I don't disagree, I
still wonder why it costs me more per pound to buy breakfast cereal
than meat.

I guess it's cheaper to run a cow than a cereal factory.

Maybe I'll be there to shake your hand
Maybe I'll be there to share the land
That they be givin' away
When we all live together

Bicyclist killed in Norfolk Anton Berlin Racing 5 June 8th 09 07:36 PM
SUV Killed By Bicyclist soinie General 8 February 7th 05 07:35 PM
Bicyclist killed by SUV Ben Kaufman General 59 February 1st 05 12:17 AM