cycling in spain

Old November 8th 07, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default cycling in spain

I am in Barcelona next week for work and was thinking of hiring a bike
to get around (hotel 5 miles from conference centre). I had a feeling
that Spain's MHL doesn't apply in urban areas. Can anyone confirm
this. Any other tips for commuting in Barcelona?

My journey is from close to the university to the coast end of
Avinguda Diagonal. Anyone know what the drop is (ok for single speed
folder) or how the road is for cycling?

tia
james

Old November 8th 07, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
P K

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am in Barcelona next week for work and was thinking of hiring a bike
to get around (hotel 5 miles from conference centre). I had a feeling
that Spain's MHL doesn't apply in urban areas. Can anyone confirm
this. Any other tips for commuting in Barcelona?

My journey is from close to the university to the coast end of
Avinguda Diagonal. Anyone know what the drop is (ok for single speed
folder) or how the road is for cycling?

tia
james

Whats MHL ?
I cycled from St Malo to Barcelona and my advce is use the UG (Underground)
..
The traffic is horrendus, stop go with lots of traffic lights, large open
junctions and nippy motorbikes flying around.

PK

PK

Old November 8th 07, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

P K said the following on 08/11/2007 13:35:

Whats MHL ?

Mandatory Helmet Law

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old November 8th 07, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
fred2

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am in Barcelona next week for work and was thinking of hiring a bike
to get around (hotel 5 miles from conference centre). I had a feeling
that Spain's MHL doesn't apply in urban areas. Can anyone confirm
this. Any other tips for commuting in Barcelona?

My journey is from close to the university to the coast end of
Avinguda Diagonal. Anyone know what the drop is (ok for single speed
folder) or how the road is for cycling?

tia
james

Helmet is mandatory outside towns
After darkness you have to wear reflective clothing
Right before left does not apply to cyclists
Children are not permitted in trailors
Some through roads are closed to cyclists

Last info I had!

Fred

Old November 8th 07, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ekul Namsob

fred2 wrote:

Helmet is mandatory outside towns
After darkness you have to wear reflective clothing
Right before left does not apply to cyclists
Children are not permitted in trailors
Some through roads are closed to cyclists

It makes Britain sound like some sort of cycling utopia. Remind me not
to visit Spain.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire http://www.shrimper.org.uk
Old November 8th 07, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RobDee

"Ekul Namsob" wrote in message
news:1i79q2i.pt04t3mw41mxN%notmyaddress.1.ekulnams ...
fred2 wrote:

Helmet is mandatory outside towns
After darkness you have to wear reflective clothing
Right before left does not apply to cyclists
Children are not permitted in trailors
Some through roads are closed to cyclists

It makes Britain sound like some sort of cycling utopia. Remind me not
to visit Spain.

Well, points 2 to 5 are common sense - believe me you would not WANT to ride
on the roads on which cycling is not allowed (Fancy the M25 on your bike -
with no hard shoulder?) and no 1 is almost NEVER imposed. Even on motorbikes
and scooters little notice is paid to those who opt out of this particular
law......

Rob

Old November 8th 07, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ekul Namsob

fred2 wrote:

Helmet is mandatory outside towns
After darkness you have to wear reflective clothing
Right before left does not apply to cyclists
Children are not permitted in trailors
Some through roads are closed to cyclists

It makes Britain sound like some sort of cycling utopia. Remind me not
to visit Spain.

Well, points 2 to 5 are common sense - believe me you would not WANT to ride
on the roads on which cycling is not allowed (Fancy the M25 on your bike -
with no hard shoulder?) and no 1 is almost NEVER imposed. Even on motorbikes
and scooters little notice is paid to those who opt out of this particular
law......

Wearing a helmet is common sense. Until this year, I didn't own any
reflective clothing. I owned lights.

My daughter has travelled with pleasure on a trailer bike. I don't see
that it's common sense to ban parents from travelling with their
children by bike.

Common sense is frequently wrong, hence the Monty Hall problem.