best way to a lower low on a Jake 2-4?

Old May 19th 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mtb Dad

Default best way to a lower low on a Jake 2-4?

Hi all
My daughter's Kona Jake 2-4 (24" wheels) has a low gear of 38 x 27.
Tiagra (short or medium cage?) rear d, sora double front d, sora
brifters. I'm trying to get her a lower low gear for a tour in July.

Going triple seems a lot of effort and parts (BB, front derailleur,
left brifter?). I do have triple cranks with a 22 t inner and 34 mid
+ bash ring I could use off her mtb.

How about compact double? Found these on Harris cyclery
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/c...ct-double.html

Cranks are $35, rings $70.

Is this the most cost effective way to go, or can I stretch the
deraileur to a larger cog?

Thanks
Old May 19th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mtb Dad

On May 19, 9:03*am, mtb Dad wrote:
Hi all
My daughter's Kona Jake 2-4 (24" wheels) has a low gear of 38 x 27.
Tiagra (short or medium cage?) rear d, sora double front d, sora
brifters. *I'm trying to get her a lower low gear for a tour in July.

Going triple seems a lot of effort and parts (BB, front derailleur,
left brifter?). *I do have triple cranks with a 22 t inner and 34 mid
+ bash ring I could use off her mtb.

How about compact double? *Found these on Harris cyclery
*http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/c...ct-double.html

Cranks are $35, rings $70.

Is this the most cost effective way to go, or can I stretch the
deraileur to a larger cog?

Thanks

Correction. Cassette big cog is 28, and triple crank has a 32 middle
ring, 94 bcd.

Maybe use the triple crank as a double without the inner ring, buy a
new outer in place of the bash ring?

Would a 46 outer work with the 32 and this front derailleur?

Both cranks are around 150-152 mm length.
Old May 19th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 19, 6:27*pm, mtb Dad wrote:
On May 19, 9:03*am, mtb Dad wrote:

[...]

What about just a new inner ring? 110 BCD probably.

Joseph
Old May 19th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 19, 7:22*pm, "
wrote:
On May 19, 6:27*pm, mtb Dad wrote:

On May 19, 9:03*am, mtb Dad wrote:

[...]

Ah, I just had a look at the Jake. Weird crankset.

I have one of those Bulletproof 110bcd cranksets for my son's road
bike. Comes in black too. Got it off eBay along with some cheap 110bcd
rings.

Joseph
Old May 19th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mtb Dad

On May 19, 10:56*am, "
wrote:
On May 19, 7:22*pm, "

wrote:
On May 19, 6:27*pm, mtb Dad wrote:

On May 19, 9:03*am, mtb Dad wrote:

[...]

Joseph- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. Yes, the stock crnaks and rings are riveted together.

Any thoughts on the 32 46 combo with that front derailleur?
Old May 19th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 19, 7:59*pm, mtb Dad wrote:
On May 19, 10:56*am, "

wrote:
On May 19, 7:22*pm, "

wrote:
On May 19, 6:27*pm, mtb Dad wrote:

On May 19, 9:03*am, mtb Dad wrote:

[...]

Current Sora is listed with a 16T capacity, so I bet it will be fine.

Joseph

JI never: Jake Mccrann arrested in Cuba War Office Australia 0 November 21st 07 05:09 PM
Jake, you get wise. You get to church! PiledHigher Australia 3 June 20th 07 10:19 PM
Jake Hearts Lance Ed Sporak Racing 6 July 23rd 06 12:09 AM
FA: Campagnolo Pista Wheelset -- Lower Reserve, Lower Buy-it-Now [email protected] Marketplace 0 September 7th 05 12:45 PM
FS: Kona Jake the Snake Scott Marketplace 1 September 3rd 03 01:35 PM