29x1.9" mud tires?

Old October 18th 08, 07:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 29x1.9" mud tires?

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 12:47:59 -0400, Dave wrote:

wrote:
On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 01:00:13 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 22:56:35 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

(Yes, that's right: Carl has Fogel Labs, while I work out of Danger
Labs. The dangerous part was taking these pictures in the kitchen
without my wife noticing a clear violation of the
no-bikes-in-the-kitchen rule.)

An email from a lady who wishes to remain anonymous asks if 30 minutes
at 350F is right for baking 29x1.9" mud tires found in her kitchen and
whether the tires should be punctured first to prevent explosions.

Any hints?

Tell her nothing!

Another email from my anonymous correspondent states that she cannot
think of a good recipe for 29x1.9" mud tires and asks if she should
try to adapt a delightful recipe for liver, fava beans, and a nice
chianti that she happens to have handy.

Since she dislikes liver, she proposes to substitute something that
she calls Canadian prairie oysters, "'cause-I-know where to get 'em
the next time they're in my kitchen."

I'm a teetotaller--what do you think about the chianti?

Does she have red hair that looks preposterous and fake? Has she been
known to wear a mask and transport herself on something that looks
remotely like a Segway? Did she mention starlings?

Dear Dave,

No photos have been attached . . .

But a third email warns that anyone using the kitchen as a bike shop
will be invited to sample some home-made elderberry wine before taking
a tour of the basement, where someone named Roosevelt Cousineau seems
to be digging a canal.

Or the offender might perish of pneumonia in South Bend, though that
wouldn't count.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old October 18th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
Anthony DeLorenzo wrote:

On Oct 17, 4:04*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

For a chainstay routing, you just want the washer pair that makes the
cassette joint point up about 45 degrees from its normal location.

I'm such a nice guy that I went out to check: I used the 8L and 8R
washers, and my Bianchi has the same rear-facing (track style) dropouts
as your Pugsley. On my bike, that left the cassette joint pointing
almost straight up. That works fine because I wanted to get the cable up
onto the top of the seat stay (and thus onto the top of the top tube)
but aesthetically it might be nicer with the joint pointing between the
seat and chain stays. I don't know which that would be.

Ah, crap. I bought the wrong washers, it would appear. I have the
silver/white ones that are spec'd for track ends, but nobody caught on
to the seatstay cable routing issue. That means I need to return four
sets of them, as I bought spares for our two bikes.

Now that I know this, I can see that this other fellow has the blue/
green washers on his Alfine-equipped Pugsley:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29561187@N08/2785454019/

Snowbike season started today, so maybe I'l just have to suck it up
and use a different cable routing.

Before you give up, try the other washers. Note that if you have room in
the dropout, the anti-turn "key" can be used facing forward or backward,
and you may even be able to flip them left for right. One of those
combinations might orient the joint properly for a seat-tube routing.