Discussion Etiquette

Old October 18th 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
EnduranceCoach

Default Discussion Etiquette

Before I got thrashed for making a mistake by posting the wrong
subject. Just wanted to confirm that it is okay to make a post
promoting my online business? It's a new business and just trying to
get the word out.

If you are a moderator or admin from the group please let me know if
you respond to this question.

BTW... I really enjoy the group. I've been in the business and have
actually learned a few tips here. Thanks!

Thanks!
EnduranceCoach
AKA - David Preston from Lubbock Texas
Old October 18th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Someone wrote:

Before I got thrashed for making a mistake by posting the wrong
subject. Just wanted to confirm that it is OK to make a post
promoting my online business? It's a new business and just trying to
get the word out.

If you are a moderator or admin from the group please let me know if
you respond to this question.

BTW... I really enjoy the group. I've been in the business and
have actually learned a few tips here.

Thanks!

The proper group for that post is [rec.bicycles.marketplace], not
tech. Take a look there and you'll find business discussions.

Jobst Brandt
Old October 18th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 17, 5:40*pm, EnduranceCoach
wrote:
Before I got thrashed for making a mistake by posting the wrong
subject. Just wanted to confirm that it is okay to make a post
promoting my online business? It's a new business and just trying to
get the word out.

If you are a moderator or admin from the group please let me know if
you respond to this question.

BTW... I really enjoy the group. I've been in the business and have
actually learned a few tips here. Thanks!

Thanks!
EnduranceCoach
AKA - David Preston from Lubbock Texas

While ideally you should promote your business in the marketplace
group, if it is cycling related and you do it once, I'd think it be
ok. There are all kinds of nonesense that get posted here that are
completely unrelated. Beg people's pardon, post here once and refer
them to the marketplace. Just a suggestion. He who has never posted OT
shall through the first stone.

Andres
Old October 18th 08, 06:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
EnduranceCoach wrote:

Before I got thrashed for making a mistake by posting the wrong
subject. Just wanted to confirm that it is okay to make a post
promoting my online business? It's a new business and just trying to
get the word out.

If you are a moderator or admin from the group please let me know if
you respond to this question.

BTW... I really enjoy the group. I've been in the business and have
actually learned a few tips here. Thanks!

Thanks!
EnduranceCoach
AKA - David Preston from Lubbock Texas

David: read the archived posts of guys like Mike Jacobusky, Andrew Muzi,
or John Dacey to get a sense of the correct balance of contribution and
self-promotion. Most of those guys tend to avoid explicit self-promotion
aside from their .signature and when answering questions that speak
directly to their business (eg a person asking about a solution to a
particular problem, where the responder, ahem, has the right part
available at a low low price).

Content-free self-promotion will get you nowhere.

Old October 18th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

EnduranceCoach wrote:
Before I got thrashed for making a mistake by posting the wrong
subject. Just wanted to confirm that it is okay to make a post
promoting my online business? It's a new business and just trying to
get the word out.

If you are a moderator or admin from the group please let me know if
you respond to this question.

BTW... I really enjoy the group. I've been in the business and have
actually learned a few tips here. Thanks!

Thanks!
EnduranceCoach
AKA - David Preston from Lubbock Texas

q: when is a spammer not a spammer?
a: when he masquerades as asking permission but still promotes himself
anyway.
Old October 18th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
EnduranceCoach

On Oct 17, 6:40*pm, EnduranceCoach
wrote:
Before I got thrashed for making a mistake by posting the wrong
subject. Just wanted to confirm that it is okay to make a post
promoting my online business? It's a new business and just trying to
get the word out.

If you are a moderator or admin from the group please let me know if
you respond to this question.

BTW... I really enjoy the group. I've been in the business and have
actually learned a few tips here. Thanks!

Thanks!
EnduranceCoach
AKA - David Preston from Lubbock Texas

Thank you. I will take it to the market place. In fact I will create a
discussion group for my business. To honor the rules of not self
promoting here I wont mention the name here. Thanks and the best to
you all.