Bike shipping charges??

Old October 17th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill

Default Bike shipping charges??

What is the most reasonable way to ship a bike across country for an
invitational ride? Trying to decide between trying to rent a bike, take it
on the plane or ship via UPS, DHL or other carrier. Is there a particular
packaging/case that can get under the oversize limits?
Thanks,
Bill

Old October 18th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RicodJour

On Oct 17, 11:41*am, "Bill" wrote:
What is the most reasonable way to ship a bike across country for an
invitational ride? Trying to decide between trying to rent a bike, take it
on the plane or ship via UPS, DHL or other carrier. Is there a particular
packaging/case that can get under the oversize limits?

DHL had the best rates that I've found. I'm not thrilled about the
company, but the rates are good. DHL used to handle the Air Caddy - a
triangular shaped bicycle shipping box (cardboard with some hard bits)
that costs ~$100 that secures you a lower rate than any standard
rectangular box.
Now FedEX handles the Air Caddy:
http://www.shipbikes.com/
A good web site with bike shipping info:
http://www.bikeaccess.net/bikeaccess/shipping_db.cfm

Old October 18th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 17, 10:41*am, "Bill" wrote:
What is the most reasonable way to ship a bike across country for an
invitational ride? Trying to decide between trying to rent a bike, take it
on the plane or ship via UPS, DHL or other carrier. Is there a particular
packaging/case that can get under the oversize limits?

I used this service a few times for frames I sold on ebay:
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/pickup/on_call.html

Hmmm, that Air Caddy looks good. But, about the size limits... aren't
complete bikes shipped in bike boxes, and via USPS?
--D-y
Old October 18th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 17, 10:41*am, "Bill" wrote:
What is the most reasonable way to ship a bike across country for an
invitational ride? Trying to decide between trying to rent a bike, take it
on the plane or ship via UPS, DHL or other carrier. Is there a particular
packaging/case that can get under the oversize limits?

Hmm, this might be a repeated post.

I've used this service:

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/pickup/on_call.html

(brief, you pack, weigh, get charges, have a check ready, the driver
picks up item. Handy esp. if you have a safe place to leave boxes with
checks taped to them)

Not necessarily an endorsement of UPS g. My stuff (a few bike frames
and partial builts) got where it was going just fine.

Question: I used bike boxes that complete new bikes came in, given to
me by the bike store. Doesn't UPS do some of that delivering, too?

The Air Caddy looks good, might save you a little on weight, if it's
rugged enough to use both ways (not a one-timer). --D-y
Old October 19th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 18, 10:55*pm, still just me wrote:
On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 10:41:10 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
I've used this service:

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/pickup/on_call.html

UPS sucks, IMHE. ANy package over a certain size automatically gets
bumped to the 70lb rate. Not to mention the fact that they abuse every
package they get - the bigger and heavier - the worse. Talk to someone
who's worked in one of their warehouses... you'll be horrified.

Check out FEDX Ground. I've done a lot of large shipping and they were
always the least expensive and the never damaged anything.

WHy I said "not endorsing UPS" because in my 30-odd years of
occasional shipping and receiving via UPS, the service seems to wax
and wane so to speak. It's been several years since I shipped frames
and bikes. Mine got there OK.

Thanks for the heads-up on recent FEDEX Ground experience,
appreciated. --D-y