Cable routing on a time trial bike

Old October 20th 08, 01:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff[_9_]

Default Cable routing on a time trial bike

Doing my first attempt at a TT bike and am undecided if I have installed
the gear cables too short.

To avoid large looping of the cables form the extension I have cut the
cable so that the bars pivot about 60 degrees instead of 90 degrees.

Is this too short and unsafe?

Assuming it is too short and I suspect it is , is it practicable to add
an extra piece of the outer cable so that it is concealed under the bar
tape to allow the extra movement.

Jeff

Old October 20th 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 20, 8:06*am, Jeff wrote:
Doing my first attempt at a TT bike and am undecided if I have installed
the gear cables too short.

To avoid large looping of the cables form the extension I have cut the
cable so that the bars pivot about 60 degrees instead of 90 degrees.

Is this too short and unsafe?

Assuming it is too short and I suspect it is , is it practicable to add
an extra piece of the outer cable so that it is concealed under the bar
tape to allow the extra movement.

Jeff

no, you'll have to redo it with a properly cut single length, the
reason is this: under the tape you won't see corrosion that will form
more easily at the break; esp on a tt bike you might have a brake
cable snap WHEN you need it. That will cost you a hell of lot more
than milliseconds or the cost of new housing. When you do a job, do
it right and learn from your mistakes. Good luck on the TT.
Old October 20th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 20, 11:37*am, wrote:
On Oct 20, 8:06*am, Jeff wrote:

[...]

Corrosion? They are stainless steel cables. What is there to
corrode? With two sections of outer casing you may get some
contamination on the cable that will affect braking. Sweat, dirt,
etc. seeping into the housing. Levers may not return smoothly or the
levers may require more force to apply the brakes. But neither of
these is going to cause a brake cable to snap. Where do people come
up with these bizarre and whacko ideas?
Old October 20th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 20, 1:01*pm, "
wrote:
On Oct 20, 11:37*am, wrote:

On Oct 20, 8:06*am, Jeff wrote:

[...]

up with these bizarre and whacko ideas?- Hide quoted text -

experience

Cable routing Larry[_2_] Techniques 5 June 12th 07 02:42 AM
MTB: downtube cable routing David Bonnell Techniques 3 May 24th 07 04:08 AM
MTB: downtube cable routing David Bonnell Techniques 0 May 23rd 07 10:59 PM
MTB: downtube cable routing [email protected] Techniques 0 May 23rd 07 09:13 PM
Cable routing on FSA k wings without internal routing. chad Techniques 3 June 13th 06 12:03 AM