Clicking rear wheel when tire inflated

Old October 20th 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

Default Clicking rear wheel when tire inflated

So I had this wheel built for my commuter/tourer. Mavic A719, Deore XT
hub, 36xDT 14/15 spokes. Ought to be rather robust.

About 1000 miles later, shortly after fitting a set of Paselas for the
winter, the bike starts to make a regular clicking sound -click-click-
click once every wheel revolution. I find I can reproduce the clicking
sound when the bike is stationary by grabbing the rear rim at about 2
o'clock (where the valve stem is 12) and shoving it side to side.

I take off the wheel and find that applying side loads to the rim by
resting the axle on the ground and pressing on either side produces a
whole lot of clicking and popping.

i deflate and remove the tire and the noise disappears.

All the spokes have tension, squeezing them doesn't make any noise, no
cracks visible anywhere on the inside or outside of the rim. I notice
the builder signed and dated under the rim tape next to the valve stem
hole -- classy.

Yet, I remount and reinflate the tire, and the clicking returns.
What's going on?

-pm
Old October 20th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 17:24:30 -0700 (PDT), pm
wrote:

[...]

Dear PM,

When you inflate the tire, the bias of its plies causes it to
constrict on the rim.

For typical 700c rims, this lowers the tension on the spokes, enough
to show up if you have a spoke tension gauge attached.

On a broad, single-wall MTB rim, the tension can actually rise instead
of falling when the tire is inflated.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...bd0e13a9a0797e

Your spokes are probably losing tension when the tire is inflated.

Maybe they lose enough tension for the one at 2 o'clock with the valve
stem at noon to click as it rolls under the axle and loses lots more
tension.

You could buy or borrow a spoke tension gauge and see if the 2 o'clock
spoke is at much lower tension than the rest.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old October 20th 08, 07:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
sergio

On 20 Ott, 02:24, pm wrote:
Yet, I remount and reinflate the tire, and the clicking returns.
What's going on?

Thought the deflated tire may well dampen the clicking (coming from
fretting of the nipples against the rim).

Sergio
Pisa.
Old October 20th 08, 09:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I experience the same phenomenon with all my (six) Mavic CXP33 rims,
and in my case I am pretty sure the clicking comes from a small alu
brick, originally glued inside the rim to support the assembly in the
construction of the rim. Someone in this newsgroup once suggested to
drill a small hole, close to the assembly, to inject fresh glue. But
knowing the diagnosys, and considering the clicking disappears when
the wheel gains speed, it doesn't bother me anymore.

Ivar

Old October 20th 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 19, 6:24*pm, pm wrote:
[...]

a few drops of boiled lindseed oil on each nipple/eyelet junction may
help.
Old October 20th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 19, 7:24*pm, pm wrote:

All the spokes have tension, squeezing them doesn't make any noise, no
cracks visible anywhere on the inside or outside of the rim. I notice
the builder signed and dated under the rim tape next to the valve stem
hole -- classy.

Very classy! Take them back to the builder and have them solve the
problem. $80 rims should not click. They built the damn things--let
them solve the damn problem. If they can't, have them rebuild the
wheels on a proper rim like an Alex Adventurer that won't click.
Old October 20th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 20, 10:15*am, landotter wrote:
On Oct 19, 7:24*pm, pm wrote:

All the spokes have tension, squeezing them doesn't make any noise, no
cracks visible anywhere on the inside or outside of the rim. I notice
the builder signed and dated under the rim tape next to the valve stem
hole -- classy.

Very classy! Take them back to the builder and have them solve the
problem. $80 rims should not click. They built the damn things--let
them solve the damn problem. If they can't, have them rebuild the
wheels on a proper rim like an Alex Adventurer that won't click.

If they need a rebuild due to losing tension when riding, consider a
half-radial rebuild.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#half-radial
Old October 20th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 20 Okt., 02:24, pm wrote:

[...]

-pm- Hide quoted text -

Yep, I have the same problem on an old set of Mavic OpenPro's.
Search around, you'll see this is actually fairly common.
I've also chosen to ignore this rather than the drill-and-glue fix.

-pete