170 vs 175 cranks

Old October 15th 04, 02:18 PM
fred_nieman

Default 170 vs 175 cranks

DRS wrote:
"fred_nieman" wrote in message

The date on your computer is still wrong.

Forgot that there's 172.5 cranks.
ps: I've read lots of James Ellroy novels, and
Tijuana time still sounds more interesting.
Old October 16th 04, 01:07 PM
Ken Callan

"DRS" wrote in news:ckjc9u$it8$1
@lust.ihug.co.nz:

"aeek" wrote in message

my trusty tourer/commuter has 170 stronglights, my new race bike has
175 plastics. Only done the one short ride so I haven't noticed.
Hows it going to work, riding 170s regularly & 175s hard?

The longer the crank arms the more you grind rather than spin. Unless
you're quite tall you're better off with 170s.

Greenspeed has an interesting item in their last newsletter:
http://www.greenspeed.com.au/newsletter5.htm
How about 75mm and 110mm cranks?

Old October 16th 04, 01:22 PM
hippy

"Ken Callan" wrote in message
Greenspeed has an interesting item in their last newsletter:
http://www.greenspeed.com.au/newsletter5.htm
How about 75mm and 110mm cranks?

I wonder how 75mm cranks would go on an upright.
Pedal strikes in crits would be rare! :-)
How does the shorter crank length effect gearing?

hippy

Old October 16th 04, 01:32 PM
cfsmtb

hippy Wrote:
"Ken Callan" wrote in message
Greenspeed has an interesting item in their last newsletter:
http://www.greenspeed.com.au/newsletter5.htm
How about 75mm and 110mm cranks?

I wonder how 75mm cranks would go on an upright.
Pedal strikes in crits would be rare! :-)
How does the shorter crank length effect gearing?

hippy

Well, my townie has 150mm cranks. Had to take off the toe clips 'co
they scrapped while cornering....

--
cfsmtb

Old October 16th 04, 01:50 PM
hippy

"cfsmtb"
hippy Wrote:
"Ken Callan" wrote in message
Greenspeed has an interesting item in their last newsletter:
http://www.greenspeed.com.au/newsletter5.htm
How about 75mm and 110mm cranks?

I wonder how 75mm cranks would go on an upright.
Pedal strikes in crits would be rare! :-)
How does the shorter crank length effect gearing?

Well, my townie has 150mm cranks. Had to take off the toe clips 'cos
they scrapped while cornering.....

Those toe-clips are meant to be pointed "up"...
turn your pedals over ;-)

hippy

Old October 16th 04, 01:59 PM
cfsmtb

hippy Wrote:
Those toe-clips are meant to be pointed "up"...
turn your pedals over ;-)

hippy

they were

--
cfsmtb

Old October 17th 04, 01:32 PM
fred_nieman

cfsmtb wrote:
hippy Wrote:

Those toe-clips are meant to be pointed "up"...
turn your pedals over ;-)

hippy

they were!

"Well, my townie has 150mm cranks. Had to take off the toe clips 'cos
they scrapped while cornering....."

150 millimeter cranks: is this on an upright?
Your townie is a BMX?

.... or maybe a chopper!
http://www.betterproductdesign.net/I...64stingray.jpg
Praying mantis antenna handlebars, T-bar 3 speed shifters on the top
tube, those long, long saddles (pink or white with flowers for the
girls, tan or balck for the boys) that started over the down-tube and
ended attached to the "sissy bar" stays that came up from the rear
dropouts.
Ahh, the 70s... happy days cycling round Belconnen/Lindisfarne/Lutana...
then - yipes - all of a sudden we're teenagers...

xxx

Lightweight Bigwheel AlbertKarel Unicycling 41 August 27th 04 11:16 PM
Need crank help. Sigurd Unicycling 30 July 24th 04 05:42 PM
Stockpiling 110mm/74mm chainrings and cranks Rocketman General 15 November 13th 03 07:32 PM
Stockpiling 110mm/74mm chainrings and cranks Rocketman Techniques 16 November 13th 03 07:32 PM