Finally, some accountability

Old July 14th 03, 09:48 PM
Erik van Leeuwen

Default Finally, some accountability

Could have been avoided by exploring the stages before the Tour. Lance did,
Boogerd did (and knew the tarmac would be melting in that descent), Millar
didn't, did Beloki do this?

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message .. .
from David Millar.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003...results/stage9

Scot David Millar (Cofidis) made an audacious attack with 31 km to go, but
his move was too soon. Millar might have arrived with the best today, but
ended up in the third group, losing almost a minute to Maillot Jaune
Armstrong. "I thought the course went up that climb, descended and went up
the next climb," explained Millar. "I didn't realize I had so much flat

and
headwind...a bit of a tactical error. I was really trying hard and I was
enjoying it. Mistakes, you've got to learn from them..."

Old July 14th 03, 10:24 PM
Erik van Leeuwen

Hehe, maybe he forgot to do cross country training this winter...

"Alex Beascoechea" wrote in message
Beloki did "on site" preparation this year. But could you explain what is
that he should have done when he noticed that he had dipped his tire into
melted tar. Maybe wait one minute of two for Boogerd to arrive and ask

him?

Old July 14th 03, 10:49 PM
Alex Beascoechea

I do not think that the problem is one of scouting the roads in advance. The
cyclist have to stand road conditions in the TdF that are not tolereated in
lesser races (such as the Giro and the Vuelta). Everybody knew about these
roads and what happens at 37C but to compound the problems they send along a
caravan of hundreds of cars and trucks in advance to screw up the tarmac a
bit more and leave it even more irregular (till it melts back into a smooth
shape). Maybe the organizers should do some checking of the conditions
themselves (if only for concern about the cyclists safety) instead of
giving in to whoever pays higher.

Old July 14th 03, 11:40 PM
warren

In article , Alex Beascoechea
wrote:

I do not think that the problem is one of scouting the roads in advance. The
cyclist have to stand road conditions in the TdF that are not tolereated in
lesser races (such as the Giro and the Vuelta). Everybody knew about these
roads and what happens at 37C but to compound the problems they send along a
caravan of hundreds of cars and trucks in advance to screw up the tarmac a
bit more and leave it even more irregular (till it melts back into a smooth
shape). Maybe the organizers should do some checking of the conditions
themselves (if only for concern about the cyclists safety) instead of
giving in to whoever pays higher.

I saw a photo yesterday of a water truck spraying water on the pavement
in advance of the riders in an attempt to cool the road surface.

-WG
Old July 15th 03, 12:31 AM
B. Lafferty

Maybe they should unpave the roads and return them to a retro state, circa
1949.

Crashes happen. That's racing. Tough break (no pun intended) but Beloki is
not the first Tour contender to crash out of a major tour. Take a look a
Coppi cheering Bobet while recovering from his broken bones.

[...]

I finally ordered a bicycle! Thanks to all those who helped me! Lobo Tommy General 1 March 30th 04 02:45 AM
Rain, Finally Scott General 7 February 21st 04 06:19 AM
I finally got around to Bill Porter Mountain Biking 15 December 17th 03 04:57 PM
All Ready To Roll... Finally Jerry Everetts Mountain Biking 4 November 13th 03 04:52 AM
OYB national family roadtrip finally launches! Jeff Potter General 5 July 18th 03 07:09 AM