Frame repainting and frame "value"

Old May 16th 08, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Frame repainting and frame "value"

Does repainting a frame affect its value? Does it matter if you don't
intend to sell?

tf
Old May 16th 08, 07:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Mittelstaedt

wrote in message
Does repainting a frame affect its value? Does it matter if you don't
intend to sell?

If it's a "classic" like my 1970 Raleigh Sport, repainting would completely
destroy what value it has as a classic - unless I repainted it exactly as
the
factory did, which was a color coat followed by 2 coats of laqquer - and
then applied the same decals the factory did in the same places. However
that isn't the most durable paint job.

There are people who make "factory" stripe and stencils for old muscle
cars, but I don't think they do for old bicycles.

The best that you can do in the home is to sandblast the frame then spray
it with epoxy based paint. But there is a trick to doing this. The trick is
you
have to paint it almost immediately after sandblasting, and you have to put
at
least 4 coats and use the special Epoxy primer. Coats have to be applied
within 1/2 hour of each other.

Then the frame should be allowed to dry and cure for at least a month,
3 months is better. This will produce a finish that is hard enough that you
can't crack it off with a ball peen hammer.

You can spray multiple layers of clearcoat then if you want, but it's
not necessary. Also with Epoxy paint your pretty limited in the colors
available.

If you want to do a color metallic finish, then you should take it to
a paint shop that can bake it in an oven.

A metallic finish like a striking red or purple would definitely
enhance it's value, but I think that your typical home Krylon
rattle can job would not.

Ted

Old May 17th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 16, 3:38 pm, Mike Elliott wrote:
On 5/15/2008 9:05 PM wrote:

Does repainting a frame affect its value? Does it matter if you don't
intend to sell?

It depends. You can explain to yourself that the frame is still the same
regardless of the paint, but you might not agree. If you think that the
repainting lowered the value of the frame, offer a lower amount to
yourself than what you are trying to sell the frame for.

I know you were going for "funny", but you might have just penned the
r.b.t. definition of "remorse".

But it'll work nonetheless.

tf
Old May 17th 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 15, 11:30*pm, A Muzi wrote:
wrote:
Does repainting a frame affect its value? Does it matter if you don't
intend to sell?

1. yes, usually much less but depends on what it looked like 'before'.
2. no, or maybe, or who cares, depending on how you value 'value'!

I'm big on Original Paint where it can be reasonably cleaned and buffed
to be presentable. There comes a point where that's no longer a
reasonable path; time to respray. Rider's opinions vary on where that
point lies.

Collector value comes from scarcity, associations with persons/events,
provenance, originality/condition, other stuff I won't think of until
the second cup kicks in.

Speaking of kicking, eventually everything you own will be "sold" but
at that point you won't care as far as we know.

Yeah, once it gets so rusty that you can't call it "patina" anymore,
is a good time to paint (before it dissolves).

Original bike frame, just out of the box NOS, v. full megabuck
Cycleart repaint with correct (and/or original) decals? Kinda moot,
really, since the repaint will probably be close to the value of the
NOS item g.

Naked Ti endures. --D-y