Two tires

Old October 18th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Baldwin

Default Two tires

Jobst Brandt writes:

In sand dunes no manner of tread pattern helps.

My camel disagrees!

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Old October 18th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

wrote:
Henny Penny wrote:

Could anyone compare & contrast the Vittoria Zaffiro versus the
Panaracer Pasella TG?

These are both wire beaded tires with Kevlar-like belts that come
in 27" sizes. I enjoy medium-length recreational rides, and the
occasional century, on roads of varying quality.

I should add that I have without any particular design put both
tires on my bike, the VZ on the rear and the Pana on the
front. I'm happy with both but trying to figure out, do I
standardized and if so to what?

No need to standardize. Less pattern in the tread is better. When
you say 27" you refer to ISO 630 mm?

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/index.html

There appears to be a lot of nonsense about tyres on roads. Not all
tyres are equal. A road is not a smooth surface. Real cycling in
streets often means cycling over kerbs and other obstacles.

It appears to me to be absolutely ludicrous to say that a slick has
the same grip as a knobbly tyre for this.

I have fairly slick slicks on at times and I can tell you for a fact
that there is fare more tendency to slide in wet weather than when
some more pronounced "grip" tyres.

If your tire cannot make an impression on the road (soft dirt) then
tread pattern has no benefit

and of course, there's never any sand, mud, silt, grit or any
impressible ever find its way onto a road in palo alto.

but mainly causes reduced traction. In
sand dunes no manner of tread pattern helps.

Jobst Brandt

Old October 18th 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Penny wrote:
Michael Press writes:

In article ,
"OughtFour" wrote:

[...]

but but but, the great jobst brandt has declared slicks to be superior.
indeed, he even claims to have /invented/ slick tires!!! apparently,
manufacturers that insist that tread "cogs" with road surfaces are
merely liars and fools.

Old October 18th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Michael Baldwin wrote:
Jobst Brandt writes:

In sand dunes no manner of tread pattern helps.

My camel disagrees!

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

potw!
Old October 18th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Penny

writes:

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 05:51:35 +0200,
wrote:

Michael Press writes:

In article ,
"OughtFour" wrote:

[...]

Dear Penny,

What sort of tire tread do the pros favor when the cobblestones are
wet and muddy between Paris and Roubaix?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

I can only say I am not a pro.

And I can state that slicks in town are, for me, dangerous.
Old October 18th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Penny

writes:

Henny Penny wrote:

[...]

tread pattern has no benefit but mainly causes reduced traction. In
sand dunes no manner of tread pattern helps.

Jobst Brandt

Which part of the "road is not a smooth surface" is so confusing in this
ng today?
Old October 18th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Penny

jim beam writes:

Penny wrote:
Michael Press writes:

In article ,
"OughtFour" wrote:

[...]

This is what I mean. I KNOW from experience that slicks in town in wet
weather are dangerous for me on my bike. Even so far as the bike going
from under me when drifting right and coming up against a slightly
raised paving stone or road panel.

I also see the usual suspects who parrot everything Jobst says are out
in force.

I wonder why goats bother having cleft hooves?

"A mountain goat’s hoofs have hard sharp edges surrounding a soft inner
area. The sharp hoofs are also used for defense. There are four hoofs
per foot, two of which strike the ground. The two halves of a mountain
goat’s hoof can move independently of one another, enabling it to get a
better grip while climbing."

Old October 18th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 18, 8:50*am, (Michael Baldwin) wrote:
Jobst Brandt writes:
In sand dunes no manner of tread pattern helps.

My camel disagrees!

I've never seen an aggressively treaded camel toe.
Old October 18th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Penny

landotter writes:

On Oct 18, 8:50Â*am, (Michael Baldwin) wrote:
Jobst Brandt writes:
In sand dunes no manner of tread pattern helps.

My camel disagrees!

I've never seen an aggressively treaded camel toe.

You also haven't seen a perfectly smooth one.

Instead they are engineered for grip.

http://www.answering-christianity.co...mel_hoof_6.jpg

Ditto for goats:

http://www.lonepeakgoats.com/goathooves.jpg

So much for that line of attack.

It is simply nonsense to suggest that road riding (ie on roads) for
normal cyclists is identical with slicks or knobblies.
Old October 18th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Baldwin

LandOtter writes:

I've never seen an aggressively treaded camel toe.

Trust me, self-moderation has prevailed

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

FS: Tires T-Mobile Continental GP 3000 Tires Scott Morrison Marketplace 1 August 29th 07 10:59 PM
tires [email protected] General 5 March 11th 07 08:44 PM
Order a pair of tires or 3 tires? RS Techniques 12 July 12th 06 06:40 PM
Wide Mt. Bike Tires vs. Thin Tires [email protected] Mountain Biking 17 April 12th 05 06:13 AM
relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires Anonymous Techniques 46 April 7th 04 07:03 PM