Rubber O-Rings on FSA MegaExo Cranks

Old October 19th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

Default Rubber O-Rings on FSA MegaExo Cranks

Again, I am installing these for a friend. The stuff he sent includes
only a single, blue rubber o-ring that is installed on the right arm.
The instructions say that there should be another for the left side. I
don't have it. My buddy says the only one is needed and the one I have
should be installed on the left side. But...

Also, I see an install update on the FSA site that says some form of
loctite (yellow, I think - not an adhesive) should be put on the left
side splines instead of the grease called-for in the instructions I
have. Of course, I don't have this either. How important is this?

Thanks
Old October 19th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 18, 8:22*pm, David White wrote:
Again, I am installing these for a friend. The stuff he sent includes
only a single, blue rubber o-ring that is installed on the right arm.
The instructions say that there should be another for the left side. I
don't have it. My buddy says the only one is needed and the one I have
should be installed on the left side. But...

Also, I see an install update on the FSA site that says some form of
loctite (yellow, I think - not an adhesive) should be put on the left
side splines instead of the grease called-for in the instructions I
have. Of course, I don't have this either. How important is this?

Thanks

Well, FSA seems to think it's vital. It's Loctite number 641 if I
recall correctly.
Old October 19th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 18, 6:22*pm, David White wrote:
Again, I am installing these for a friend. The stuff he sent includes
only a single, blue rubber o-ring that is installed on the right arm.
The instructions say that there should be another for the left side. I
don't have it. My buddy says the only one is needed and the one I have
should be installed on the left side. But...

Also, I see an install update on the FSA site that says some form of
loctite (yellow, I think - not an adhesive) should be put on the left
side splines instead of the grease called-for in the instructions I
have. Of course, I don't have this either. How important is this?

Thanks

The two teeny o-rings are pretty essential, one on each side. BUT put
the one on the RH side, install and torque and see if the setup has no
play. If it doesn't, go with it. Be sure you prep the frame as these
bearings aren't the most robust in the world.

We use a sleeve retainer(purple)as the included yellow uberloctite
that comes with these when new lasts for only one or two
installations.. Rather than change the design, they added loctite to
keep the LH crank arm on.

Old October 19th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Taylor

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 17:22:38 -0700, David White
wrote:

Again, I am installing these for a friend. The stuff he sent includes
only a single, blue rubber o-ring that is installed on the right arm.
The instructions say that there should be another for the left side. I
don't have it. My buddy says the only one is needed and the one I have
should be installed on the left side. But...

Also, I see an install update on the FSA site that says some form of
loctite (yellow, I think - not an adhesive) should be put on the left
side splines instead of the grease called-for in the instructions I
have. Of course, I don't have this either. How important is this?

Check out the "Megaexo FAQ" from the FSA website:

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.as...=tech&taxid=74

Q: I am missing one of the two small rubber O-Rings that fits over
the BB spindle as shown in the diagram in the installation
instructions.

A: Take a closer look. One of the O-Rings usually comes pre-installed
on the on the drive side arm.

Q: What are the small rubber O-Rings for on my Mega Exo crankset/BB?

A: Our Mega Exo crank/BB system utilizes two small washers that fit
over the bottom bracket spindle and sit between the crankarms and the
outer bearing face of the Mega Exo bottom bracket. There is one for
each crankarm. There are several reasons for these washers, which
include the reduction of noise as well as achieving correct bearing
adjustment. Until December of 2004 FSA used a solid rubber O-Ring.
Starting in approx December of 2004 we started to use a rubber coated
metal washer/O-Ring. When using the new rubber coated metal washer the
‘metal side’ of the washer should face the crankarm. If necessary to
achieve correct bearing adjustment you may use two of these washers on
the left crankarm. When using two washers, they should be oriented
metal side to rubber side.

Note: I had to purchase as second O-ring to keep my bearings from
binding.

As far as the locktite, it is Locktite 641, and yeah, you should use
it to insure you have a tight fit with these poorly designed cranks.

And like me and others, don't buy FSA cranks next time. I installed
Truvativ (SRAM) Stylo cranks on my 2 mountain bikes (single speed and
geared) with zero problems with bearings binding or loose cranks.
Old October 20th 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
Again, I am installing these for a friend. The stuff he sent includes
only a single, blue rubber o-ring that is installed on the right arm.
The instructions say that there should be another for the left side. I
don't have it. My buddy says the only one is needed and the one I have
should be installed on the left side. But...

Also, I see an install update on the FSA site that says some form of
loctite (yellow, I think - not an adhesive) should be put on the left
side splines instead of the grease called-for in the instructions I
have. Of course, I don't have this either. How important is this?

Check out the "Megaexo FAQ" from the FSA website:

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.as...=tech&taxid=74

Q: *I am missing one of the two small rubber O-Rings that fits over
the BB spindle as shown in the diagram in the installation
instructions.

A: *Take a closer look. One of the O-Rings usually comes pre-installed
on the on the drive side arm.

Q: *What are the small rubber O-Rings for on my Mega Exo crankset/BB?

A: *Our Mega Exo crank/BB system utilizes two small washers that fit
[...]

any part requiring locite as part of installation is poorly designed.
incidently, is 641 the blue suff or the red ?
Old October 20th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

wrote:
Again, I am installing these for a friend. The stuff he sent includes
only a single, blue rubber o-ring that is installed on the right arm.
The instructions say that there should be another for the left side. I
don't have it. My buddy says the only one is needed and the one I have
should be installed on the left side. But...
Also, I see an install update on the FSA site that says some form of
loctite (yellow, I think - not an adhesive) should be put on the left
side splines instead of the grease called-for in the instructions I
have. Of course, I don't have this either. How important is this?

Check out the "Megaexo FAQ" from the FSA website:

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.as...=tech&taxid=74

Q: I am missing one of the two small rubber O-Rings that fits over
the BB spindle as shown in the diagram in the installation
instructions.

A: Take a closer look. One of the O-Rings usually comes pre-installed
on the on the drive side arm.

Q: What are the small rubber O-Rings for on my Mega Exo crankset/BB?

A: Our Mega Exo crank/BB system utilizes two small washers that fit
[...]

According to the FAQ, it is yellow. Here is the complete Q and A:

What is that yellow liquid that came with my cranks?

Some crank models—nearly all of the carbon cranks, as well as stoker
tandem cranks—require the use of an assembly compound. This compound is
made by Loctite. It is called Loctite 641 retaining compound. Do not
confuse 641 with more common threadlockers. It is designed to be applied
to the splines of the crank spindle and the left arm spindle . It
hardens after assembly to fill the micro-gaps that are needed to
allow the two parts to press together. Loctite 641 is not an adhesive
and does not affect the disassembly procedure for your crank.