Bicycle bottle diameters, why different?

Old March 20th 18, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Bicycle bottle diameters, why different?

Just ordered a bottle from Stansport. It is nice but much smaller in
diameter than my California Bike Gear bottle which is a snug fit. So the
Stansport bottle rattles around in there.

Why can't they agree on one standard diameter? In the electronics
industry we got that licked decades ago.

Any tricks how to adapt to both without bending the cage back and forth?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 20th 18, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/20/2018 10:58 AM, Joerg wrote:
Just ordered a bottle from Stansport. It is nice but much smaller in
diameter than my California Bike Gear bottle which is a snug fit. So the
Stansport bottle rattles around in there.

Why can't they agree on one standard diameter? In the electronics
industry we got that licked decades ago.

Any tricks how to adapt to both without bending the cage back and forth?

A standard bicycle water bottle is 2.875" (73 mm).

There are cages available for larger bottles. I have the best large cage
on a couple of bicycles. It means one bottle instead of two. It's also
extremely secure. It's item #1 on my page at
http://tinyurl.com/notatlbs. There is also a cage for a growler (#3).

I recently saw adjustable diameter cages that us a rubber strap, at
Target and Walmart. Secure, but time consuming to get the bottle in and out.
Old March 20th 18, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-03-20 12:45, sms wrote:
On 3/20/2018 10:58 AM, Joerg wrote:
Just ordered a bottle from Stansport. It is nice but much smaller in
diameter than my California Bike Gear bottle which is a snug fit. So
the Stansport bottle rattles around in there.

Why can't they agree on one standard diameter? In the electronics
industry we got that licked decades ago.

Any tricks how to adapt to both without bending the cage back and forth?

A standard bicycle water bottle is 2.875" (73 mm).

The Stansport is 2.820" (71.5mm) and the Cal Bike Gear is 2.885"
(73.3mm). Even worse is that the indentation ring is off by about
0.300". How can this happen? In medical, aerospace or other electronics
we'd get flogged for that.

There are cages available for larger bottles. I have the best large cage
on a couple of bicycles. It means one bottle instead of two. It's also
extremely secure. It's item #1 on my page at
http://tinyurl.com/notatlbs. There is also a cage for a growler (#3).

Then I'd have another boutique solution, new bottles and all that. I was
hoping the bicycle industry would have agree to a bottle standard but
that hope was just dashed, like many others.

I recently saw adjustable diameter cages that us a rubber strap, at
Target and Walmart. Secure, but time consuming to get the bottle in and
out.

I can also wrap some sort of bungee cord around it, hobo-style. However,
that gets old and the bottle won't go back in easily without pushing the
bungee down.

Old March 20th 18, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/20/2018 1:58 PM, Joerg wrote:
Just ordered a bottle from Stansport. It is nice but much smaller in
diameter than my California Bike Gear bottle which is a snug fit. So the
Stansport bottle rattles around in there.

Why can't they agree on one standard diameter? In the electronics
industry we got that licked decades ago.

Any tricks how to adapt to both without bending the cage back and forth?

No tricks that would work for you, sorry.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 20th 18, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-03-20 12:45, sms wrote:
On 3/20/2018 10:58 AM, Joerg wrote:
Just ordered a bottle from Stansport. It is nice but much smaller in
diameter than my California Bike Gear bottle which is a snug fit. So
the Stansport bottle rattles around in there.

Why can't they agree on one standard diameter? In the electronics
industry we got that licked decades ago.

Any tricks how to adapt to both without bending the cage back and forth?

A standard bicycle water bottle is 2.875" (73 mm).

The Stansport is 2.820" (71.5mm) and the Cal Bike Gear is 2.885"
(73.3mm). Even worse is that the indentation ring is off by about
0.300". How can this happen? In medical, aerospace or other electronics
we'd get flogged for that.

As you should -- in fact, flog yourself for this, too.

There are cages available for larger bottles. I have the best large cage
on a couple of bicycles. It means one bottle instead of two. It's also
extremely secure. It's item #1 on my page at
http://tinyurl.com/notatlbs. There is also a cage for a growler (#3).

Then I'd have another boutique solution, new bottles and all that. I was
hoping the bicycle industry would have agree to a bottle standard but
that hope was just dashed, like many others.

n your day. I can

All my dozens of bottles are within spec, and it is clear to me that the manufacturers are out to f*** with you. This is about you and only you. Cheap-**** water bottle makers like Stansport and Cal Bike Gear got together and said "let's f**** with Joerg." I'm so sorry for you. Next, they'll be screwing with your inner-tubes. Instead of 1.75-2.5" it will be 1.76661-2.499999". This is pay-back for all your complaining about the poor quality of bicycle components. When you make your next bottle order, use a different name.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 20th 18, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/20/2018 1:54 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

The Stansport is 2.820" (71.5mm) and the Cal Bike Gear is 2.885"
(73.3mm). Even worse is that the indentation ring is off by about
0.300". How can this happen? In medical, aerospace or other electronics
we'd get flogged for that.

There is no standards body for water bottles. The diameter is supposed
to be 2.875" (73mm) with the indentation on tall bottles at 5.0" (127mm).

You should write a letter to Stansport. Maybe consider contacting an
attorney about a class action lawsuit. Claim that the bottle bounced out
on a trail and a mountain lion took it. Jay can handle the lawsuit for you.

I can also wrap some sort of bungee cord around it, hobo-style. However,
that gets old and the bottle won't go back in easily without pushing the
bungee down.

Use layers of heat shrink tubing until you get that extra 1.5mm or so.
Of course that size heat shrink tubing will likely cost more than just
buying a proper bottle.
Old March 20th 18, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-03-20 15:01, sms wrote:
On 3/20/2018 1:54 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

The Stansport is 2.820" (71.5mm) and the Cal Bike Gear is 2.885"
(73.3mm). Even worse is that the indentation ring is off by about
0.300". How can this happen? In medical, aerospace or other
electronics we'd get flogged for that.

There is no standards body for water bottles. The diameter is supposed
to be 2.875" (73mm) with the indentation on tall bottles at 5.0" (127mm).

The center of the indentation is 5-1/2" on the Stansport bottle and
5-3/4" on the Cal Bike bottle (which fits all holders like a glove).

You should write a letter to Stansport. Maybe consider contacting an
attorney about a class action lawsuit. Claim that the bottle bounced out
on a trail and a mountain lion took it. Jay can handle the lawsuit for you.

That would only work if the mountain lion then choked on it and needed
expensive medical attention, followed by a few cat shrink sessions. For
a class action it would have to affect his tribe and two or three others.

I can also wrap some sort of bungee cord around it, hobo-style.
However, that gets old and the bottle won't go back in easily without
pushing the bungee down.

Use layers of heat shrink tubing until you get that extra 1.5mm or so.
Of course that size heat shrink tubing will likely cost more than just
buying a proper bottle.

The question is, how do you know if a bottle is proper when buying one
online?

Old March 20th 18, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/20/2018 3:18 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

The question is, how do you know if a bottle is proper when buying one
online?

Stansport is primarly a camping equipment company. Buy from a supplier
of bicycle equipment.

I like the Clean Designs bottle https://www.cleanbottle.com/

Old March 21st 18, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-03-20 15:54, sms wrote:
On 3/20/2018 3:18 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

The question is, how do you know if a bottle is proper when buying one
online?

Stansport is primarly a camping equipment company. Buy from a supplier
of bicycle equipment.

But is sez "bike bottle" ...

https://www.stansport.com/bike-bottle-26-oz-214-26

I guess they need to learn and test their designs before release.

I like the Clean Designs bottle https://www.cleanbottle.com/

30 bucks, yikes. I like their bottom screw lid though. Thanks, will look
for that brand then.

Old March 21st 18, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-03-20 15:54, sms wrote:
On 3/20/2018 3:18 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

The question is, how do you know if a bottle is proper when buying one
online?

Stansport is primarly a camping equipment company. Buy from a supplier
of bicycle equipment.

But is sez "bike bottle" ...

https://www.stansport.com/bike-bottle-26-oz-214-26

I guess they need to learn and test their designs before release.

I like the Clean Designs bottle https://www.cleanbottle.com/

30 bucks, yikes. I like their bottom screw lid though. Thanks, will look
for that brand then.

Hmmmm. I wonder where you could buy a water bottle? https://tinyurl.com/y9zbb7fg

-- Jay Beattie.