patches on patches

Old March 31st 05, 02:14 AM
Martin Dann

Default patches on patches

I have not posted here for a long time, so sorry if this has been covered.

I repaired an inner tube a while back with a totally black patch. (I don't
know the make of the patch.)
More recently I had a second puncture adjacent to the first, and put on
a tip-top patch half covering the first.
Yesterday I had another puncture, upon removal of both patches I found
that the first patch had become unglued from the tube, completely and
only where the two patches overlapped. The two patches are glued together
solidly.

Did the application of the second, screw up the first, and if so,
is it stupid to put one patch on another?

How long does it take other people to remove an inner tube, I think
10 min is too long. (mountin bike with slick tyres).

Martin.

--
Typed by monkey #27662472869676 on typewriter #7552416572242
When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.
Old March 31st 05, 09:10 AM
vernon levy

How long does it take other people to remove an inner tube, I think
10 min is too long. (mountin bike with slick tyres).

I normally have the tube out, repaired, replaced and inflated in under 10
minutes.

I'm sure ther's faster folk out there.....

Old March 31st 05, 11:28 AM
Arthur Clune

Martin Dann wrote:

: More recently I had a second puncture adjacent to the first, and put on
: a tip-top patch half covering the first.

Folks, folks. Tubes are £1 a go if bought mail order in bulk (10+).

Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes
Old March 31st 05, 11:35 AM
Dave Larrington

Arthur Clune wrote:

Folks, folks. Tubes are £1 a go if bought mail order in bulk (10+).

FSVO "tubes". I've yet to find ones suitable for 406 wheels at much under
four quid a go...

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Old March 31st 05, 12:12 PM
LSMike

Dave Larrington wrote:
Arthur Clune wrote:

Folks, folks. Tubes are =A31 a go if bought mail order in bulk

(10+).

FSVO "tubes". I've yet to find ones suitable for 406 wheels at much

under
four quid a go...

I was almost getting excited for a minute there.

Old March 31st 05, 12:35 PM
Mark Thompson

How long does it take other people to remove an inner tube, I think
10 min is too long. (mountin bike with slick tyres).

Yeah. There's a secret, cunning method of doing it.

Fully deflate tyre (the P*ncture fairy normally does this for you) and
remove it from bike

Stick a tyre lever under the bead and lift the bead over the rim. Lock the
tyre lever onto a spoke.

About 2-3 inches further round do the same with the second tyre lever

Take the third lever and hook it under the bead then slide it round.

This site has some instructions on patching the thing.

URL:http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQGP2.shtml
Old March 31st 05, 01:03 PM
dkahn400

Arthur Clune wrote:
Martin Dann wrote:

: More recently I had a second puncture adjacent to the first, and

put on
: a tip-top patch half covering the first.

Folks, folks. Tubes are =A31 a go if bought mail order in bulk (10+).

At my current rate of punctures, that would still be about 4 quid a
week if I didn't patch my tubes.

--=20
Dave...

Old March 31st 05, 01:49 PM
Pete Biggs

Martin Dann wrote:
I have not posted here for a long time, so sorry if this has been
covered.

I repaired an inner tube a while back with a totally black patch. (I
don't know the make of the patch.)
More recently I had a second puncture adjacent to the first, and put
on
a tip-top patch half covering the first.
Yesterday I had another puncture, upon removal of both patches I found
that the first patch had become unglued from the tube, completely and
only where the two patches overlapped. The two patches are glued
together solidly.

Did the application of the second, screw up the first, and if so,
is it stupid to put one patch on another?

Overlapping patches usually work ok. Probably just unlucky that the first
one didn't stick well enough. It helps to: sand well, leave cement to dry
completely before applying patch, not testing before fitting in tyre,
leave patch to cure for at least 5 mins (pref 5 hours!).

How long does it take other people to remove an inner tube, I think
10 min is too long. (mountin bike with slick tyres).

I've been known to spend longer than 10 mins on the whole job: includes:
examining tyre for damage, pumping it up again, smoking a fag, etc, etc,
etc.

~PB

ps. I'm joking about the fags!

Old March 31st 05, 01:54 PM
Dave Larrington

Pete Biggs wrote:

I've been known to spend longer than 10 mins on the whole job:
includes: examining tyre for damage, pumping it up again, smoking a
fag, etc, etc, etc.

[...]
ps. I'm joking about the fags!

I'm not... Well, up until the latter part of 2001, anyway.

Old March 31st 05, 09:08 PM
Judith

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:49:01 +0100, "Pete Biggs"
wrote:

It helps to: sand well, leave cement to dry
completely before applying patch, not testing before fitting in tyre,
leave patch to cure for at least 5 mins (pref 5 hours!).

That isn't what the Lidl toolkit says.

You must "teasel the cover to to be easy to be vulcanised".

That could be where you're going wrong. ;-)

HTH
Judith