Question for Joerg

Old January 23rd 17, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Frank Patterson [was: Question for Joerg]

On 2017-01-22 10:42, wrote:
This video is more my cup of tea, Joerg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns9YwOKR8-U

I did a few of those trips when I was young but even then I longed for
nature instead of the din of cars.

Din of cars? Amazing. The video showed one A road with some traffic.
All the rest looked like absolutely gorgeous roads with mostly zero
traffic. To me, it looked like a cycling paradise.

Speaking of that cycling paradise:

I'm nearly done (I hope) battling through my annual winter bronchitis.
And again this year, when I'm feeling too sick to do much, I take solace
in browsing through my collection of Frank Patterson pen and ink
sketchbooks.

http://www.foodman123.com/fpat.htm

These sketches, as much as anything, make me long for a time machine
large enough to transport me and my bike. I biked in Britain quite a
bit in 1976 and a little in 2001, but I wondered how traffic-choked the
roads had become since then.

The video at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns9YwOKR8-U
gave me hope. Much of it looks like a Patterson sketch.

I wonder if Phil can comment. What areas have low enough traffic for
really peaceful riding?

From way back when I could recommend the A836 in Scotland. Eventually
it becomes a one-lane road and I was formally conscripted into the
service of the Royal Scottish Mail for several hours, for the section
from Durness towards Inverness, on account that their bus had broken down.

The whole stretch I think only one car came in the other direction and
at the turn-out we stopped and chatted a bit. A little farther there
were horses in the road and they required me to fork over some oat
cookies before letting me pass.

It was totally quiet out there. Really nice.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old January 24th 17, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On 2017-01-22 10:42, wrote:
[...]

off course...AAA....and at least before 1975.

out west roads are clear....Cascade highway loop deserted weekdays .....but no twisting roads past revolutionary stone walls n overhanging 150 old trees....

goo.gl/xUODHg
Old January 24th 17, 06:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Question for Joerg

On 2017-01-22 10:42, wrote:
This video is more my cup of tea, Joerg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns9YwOKR8-U

I did a few of those trips when I was young but even then I longed for
nature instead of the din of cars.

Din of cars? Amazing. The video showed one A road with some traffic.
All the rest looked like absolutely gorgeous roads with mostly zero
traffic. To me, it looked like a cycling paradise.

It's ok but I do not consider it paradise. If you want an easy relaxing
ride the Pacific Crest Trail is IMO much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCmtJEG2Am4

Also a great way to loose weight :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

since when are bikes legal on the pct?
Old January 24th 17, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-01-22 10:42, wrote:
This video is more my cup of tea, Joerg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns9YwOKR8-U

I did a few of those trips when I was young but even then I longed for
nature instead of the din of cars.

Din of cars? Amazing. The video showed one A road with some traffic.
All the rest looked like absolutely gorgeous roads with mostly zero
traffic. To me, it looked like a cycling paradise.

It's ok but I do not consider it paradise. If you want an easy relaxing
ride the Pacific Crest Trail is IMO much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCmtJEG2Am4

Also a great way to loose weight :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

since when are bikes legal on the pct?

Not sure whether it is formally allowed, I just heard of many people
doing it. Horse riders use it as well but they are often formally allowed.

Sometimes non-condoned users are not bothersome as long as they behave,
such as not shredding around corners. Our local singletrack is sometiems
used by dirt bikers which is highly illegal. People like me never
minded, I just wish they had lights. So I ride with my lights at full
bore on some sections, to prevent a head-on. Things is, those folks also
keep the vegetation at bay so the trail does not overgrow during winter.

Old January 24th 17, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-01-22 09:28, wrote:
Jay, I assume you are referring to the Salmon Falls ride. It really
is a great ride; I have done it quite a few times; and I wouldn't
consider it to be a particularly dangerous bicycle ride because
you're pretty much always going slow enough to stop if somebody pulls
out in front of you from their driveway. But it is really dangerous
to guys riding fast motorcycles because it became well-known as a
popular fast motorcycle ride when the area was rural, but after it
became somewhat suburban there were quite a few motorcycling deaths
on the road.

Yup. They often ride like these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiYFqGhrw1o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HkeEMwkIYk

Is that Galfer a Growler?

:-)

A bit big for a brake fluid reservoir. Maybe the engine is water cooled
and it's coolant. I am surprise that the guy leaves the other key
flopping in the wind. If that ever were to come off at 160mph, who knows
where it hits.

Old January 24th 17, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Old January 24th 17, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Andre Jute wrote: What I meant when I said all the good rides here look like that..[.]Seriously? That looks like a great ride...That's a quintessential Sierra foothills ride... If those types of roads are frightening for you, you'd basically have no fun place to ride around here.

Andre, I think in my younger days I could have done the Mosquito Loop ride pretty easily, but I'm pushing 70 now and sometimes find it difficult to stay on the bike on a 12% grade. I just don't have as much stamina and endurance as I used to have. However, I am going to try to get in good shape and do the ride this year.

Old January 24th 17, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 5:26:50 PM UTC, wrote:
Andre Jute wrote: What I meant when I said all the good rides here look like that..[.]Seriously? That looks like a great ride...That's a quintessential Sierra foothills ride... If those types of roads are frightening for you, you'd basically have no fun place to ride around here.

Andre, I think in my younger days I could have done the Mosquito Loop ride pretty easily, but I'm pushing 70 now and sometimes find it difficult to stay on the bike on a 12% grade. I just don't have as much stamina and endurance as I used to have. However, I am going to try to get in good shape and do the ride this year.

You wouldn't have believed the condition I was in after relatively minor heart surgery (these days anyway) almost killed me a few years ago. I couldn't even walk a hundred yards from my house without someone accompanying me. But I worked at it and now, weather permitting, I'm cycling better than before. Those hills I photographed I actually avoided before, now I ride them at the beginning of the season... You just have to take it steady and grasp that as some doors close, perhaps permanently, others, equally attractive, open.

Andre Jute
Rational, logical, persistent
Old January 24th 17, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 10:12:19 PM UTC-8, Doug Landau wrote:

since when are bikes legal on the pct?

Where there is no other route bicycles are allowed on Freeways and limited access highways. This is a Federal law.