headset Intergrated replacement with non

Old August 4th 03, 10:03 AM
Philthy

Default headset Intergrated replacement with non

Hi,
I've got a frame kicking about the I'm building up at the moment. Only thing
I don't like is it's got an intergrated headset (OEM manufactured for Cane
Creek by Zoom YUK..) Anyway I want this out & a decent A-headset installed.
Since I don't have the tools for this (Headset press I think it is?) I was
gonna take it to the local shop.
Anyway so I like to know the process so I know whether I'm being ripped
off on the price for the work.
Is it just a case of removing the integated cups (For it is this type!) &
pressing in a new headset or will they need to do any facing, the frame is
in excellent condition.
OR could i do this myself??
Also will the height of the new headset make my steerer tube too short now
(More expense :-(
Thanks
Phil

Old August 4th 03, 10:37 AM
Philthy

On further examination this looks like it could be a Zero Stack headset, as
there are low level black aluminium cups on the top & bottom of the tube.
PHil

Old August 5th 03, 12:54 AM
@ Greasy Chainrings.com

Dave Salovesh wrote:

In ,
"Philthy" opined:

Is it just a case of removing the integated cups (For it is this type!) &

You can't switch types - at least not without serious machine shop work.

But if it has cups it's not an inteGRATED headset, it's an inteRNAL one
(or a classic threadless one), and those are supposed to be okay...

You could take a look through the Chris King website. They have a piece
explaining and clarifing the different types and which can be
interchanged.... I'd give you a better link but I for some reason can't
access the INternet only my local news and mail serers... hhmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Headset Locks (or whatever they are called) Michael J. Klein General 1 June 28th 04 02:39 PM
integrated headset Matthew Paterson Mountain Biking 5 May 25th 04 11:27 PM
Campag Headset GlaucMan Techniques 2 July 13th 03 01:25 PM
new chainwheels: what needs replacement? [email protected] Techniques 5 July 13th 03 04:00 AM