Polar Speed Sensor - New Madone Fork?

Old February 15th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew F Martin[_2_]

Default Polar Speed Sensor - New Madone Fork?

I've got an '08 Madone 5.5. Pro. The fork has a rather thin leading
edge on it which does not allow for much adjustment of the speed
sensor for my Polar 720. The speed sensor is shaped to fit on a
round fork so it isn't very adjustable on the madone fork:

http://www.polar-heartrate-monitors....eed_sensor.htm

Has anyone come up with a fix here? It is possible to use a rare-
earth metal magnet or something on the spokes to increase the "reach"
of the signal? Right now the sensor is about 1cm from the magnet.
It's ~2mm on my other bikes.
Old February 16th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 15, 6:29*pm, Andrew F Martin
wrote:
I've got an '08 Madone 5.5. Pro. *The fork has a rather thin leading
edge on it which does not allow for much adjustment of the speed
sensor for my Polar 720. * The speed sensor is shaped to fit on a
round fork so it isn't very adjustable on the madone fork:

http://www.polar-heartrate-monitors....eed_sensor.htm

Has anyone come up with a fix here? *It is possible to use a rare-
earth metal magnet or something on the spokes to increase the "reach"
of the signal? *Right now the sensor is about 1cm from the magnet.
It's ~2mm on my other bikes.

move the magnet near the hub; it will be closer to the fork; get a
roll of duct tape; tape the sensor in the best pick up location; ****
aesthetics, it works
Old February 16th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Behning

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:29:01 -0800 (PST), Andrew F Martin
wrote:

I've got an '08 Madone 5.5. Pro. The fork has a rather thin leading
edge on it which does not allow for much adjustment of the speed
sensor for my Polar 720. The speed sensor is shaped to fit on a
round fork so it isn't very adjustable on the madone fork:

http://www.polar-heartrate-monitors....eed_sensor.htm

Has anyone come up with a fix here? It is possible to use a rare-
earth metal magnet or something on the spokes to increase the "reach"
of the signal? Right now the sensor is about 1cm from the magnet.
It's ~2mm on my other bikes.

I do not know how sharp the leading edge of your fork is but my
Specialized and my Aeirus forks are not round. I get the sensor plenty
close to the magnet. Within a few mms. Both measure about 1.75" and 1"
thick where the sensor is mounted. They both have a taper on the
leading edge. No knige edge as that would be dangerous but sort of egg
shaped.
Old February 16th 08, 07:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew F Martin[_2_]

wrote:

I've got an '08 Madone 5.5. Pro. *The fork has a rather thin leading
edge on it which does not allow for much adjustment of the speed
sensor for my Polar 720. * The speed sensor is shaped to fit on a
round fork so it isn't very adjustable on the madone fork:

http://www.polar-heartrate-monitors....eed_sensor.htm

Has anyone come up with a fix here? *It is possible to use a rare-
earth metal magnet or something on the spokes to increase the "reach"
of the signal? *Right now the sensor is about 1cm from the magnet.
It's ~2mm on my other bikes.

move the magnet near the hub; it will be closer to the fork; get a
roll of duct tape; tape the sensor in the best pick up location; ****
aesthetics, it works

I tried that, but the signal from the sensor isn't strong enough to
send the signal to the monitor mounted on the stem. I may need to
cobble together a new mounting bracket.
Old February 16th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

I've got an '08 Madone 5.5. Pro. *The fork has a rather thin leading
edge on it which does not allow for much adjustment of the speed
sensor for my Polar 720. * The speed sensor is shaped to fit on a
round fork so it isn't very adjustable on the madone fork:

http://www.polar-heartrate-monitors....eed_sensor.htm

Has anyone come up with a fix here? *It is possible to use a rare-
earth metal magnet or something on the spokes to increase the "reach"
of the signal? *Right now the sensor is about 1cm from the magnet.
It's ~2mm on my other bikes.

move the magnet near the hub; it will be closer to the fork; get a
roll of duct tape; tape the sensor in the best pick up location; ****
aesthetics, it works

I tried that, but the signal from the sensor isn't strong enough to
send the signal to the monitor mounted on the stem. *I may need to
cobble together a new mounting bracket.- Hide quoted text -

sorry to hear that. you tried a new battery as bill sornson says ? the
sensor should be good enough for a front fork as I had mine mounted on
my rear seat stay for recording my trnr events- the overall distance
was about 1 m; I had to move mine to the front when I went outdoors
because the signal wouldn't reach to my handlebar from the rear
Old February 17th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Curt Wiederhoeft

You might want to ask your LBS if the newer Polar CS-series
transmitters work on the same frequency. Those come with two separate
fork mounts: one for rounded, and another for sharp-edged fork blades.
Old February 17th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Has anyone come up with a fix here? *It is possible to use a rare-
earth metal magnet or something on the spokes to increase the "reach"
of the signal? *Right now the sensor is about 1cm from the magnet.
It's ~2mm on my other bikes.

Assuming it's a magnet distance to sensor issue you can homebrew a mag
holder, epoxy a magnet to a spoke, or if you prefer a commercial
solution you could try one of the Sigma "power magnets".

http://www.sigmasport.com/us/produkt...punkt=features

Mark