best aluminum tubular rims for 'cross wheels?

Old October 2nd 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jill

Default best aluminum tubular rims for 'cross wheels?

I'm a relatively light rider (~130 lbs), seeking your opinions on
aluminum tubular rims for cyclocross wheels.

Here are some options I've seen. Thanks in advance for your input on
these, or others that you recommend.

-- Mavic Reflex Silver
-- Mavic Reflex CD
-- Ambrosio Crono
-- Velocity Escape
-- others?

Jill Waggett
Old October 3rd 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Jill wrote:
I'm a relatively light rider (~130 lbs), seeking your opinions on
aluminum tubular rims for cyclocross wheels.

Here are some options I've seen. Thanks in advance for your input on
these, or others that you recommend.

-- Mavic Reflex Silver
-- Mavic Reflex CD
-- Ambrosio Crono
-- Velocity Escape
-- others?

Jill Waggett

deep section is more robust. eyelets make a rim more crack resistant.
welded is more reliable at lower spoke tensions. beyond that, just pick
one you like and go with it. make sure you build with the manufacturer
recommended spoke tension.

oh, and for mud, the most wear resistant rims are ceramic. i don't
believe that's an option for any tubular rim, but if it is, get them -
practically wear proof. the next best bet is a "cd" rim finish, but
that doesn't last so long. better than nothing though.

Old October 3rd 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 2, 10:08*am, Jill wrote:
I'm a relatively light rider (~130 lbs), seeking your opinions on
aluminum tubular rims for cyclocross wheels.

Here are some options I've seen. *Thanks in advance for your input on
these, or others that you recommend.

-- Mavic Reflex Silver
-- Mavic Reflex CD
-- Ambrosio Crono
-- Velocity Escape
-- others?

Jill Waggett

Stay away from eyeleted CD(HARD anodized) rims.

Velocity Escape is a nice rim but light. Ambrosio, of the ones I've
seen, are nice as well(wish I could find them at wholesale).

Another one is this one

http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=588

Old October 3rd 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
On Oct 2, 10:08�am, Jill wrote:
I'm a relatively light rider (~130 lbs), seeking your opinions on
aluminum tubular rims for cyclocross wheels.

Here are some options I've seen. �Thanks in advance for your input on
these, or others that you recommend.

-- Mavic Reflex Silver
-- Mavic Reflex CD
-- Ambrosio Crono
-- Velocity Escape
-- others?

Jill Waggett

Stay away from eyeleted CD(HARD anodized) rims.

eh? have you ridden them? i have for years. road and mtb. the only
negative i've found is that they look a little odd when the anodizing
wears off. otherwise, i don't understand why you would say that.

Old October 4th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://tinyurl.com/42gobw
Old October 4th 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 2, 10:08*am, Jill wrote:

I'm a relatively light rider (~130 lbs), seeking your opinions on
aluminum tubular rims for cyclocross wheels.

Here are some options I've seen. *Thanks in advance for your input on
these, or others that you recommend.

-- Mavic Reflex Silver
-- Mavic Reflex CD
-- Ambrosio Crono
-- Velocity Escape
-- others?

Jill Waggett

Stay away from eyeleted CD(HARD anodized) rims.

Velocity Escape is a nice rim but light. Ambrosio, of the ones I've
seen, are nice as well(wish I could find them at wholesale).

Another one is this one

http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=588

Dang, I hit the wrong button while distracted. Apologies.

I noted the description in the Velocity web page doesn't specify a
choice for machined/non-machined for the Escape, while the Pro Elite
(linked to above) has a few color options in non-machined sidewall,
which would seem to be good for extended life. --D-y
Old October 4th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 2, 10:08 am, Jill wrote:
[...]

Easy Jim, I'm not Jobst.
Old October 4th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

On Oct 2, 10:08 am, Jill wrote:
[...]

i know, but you're walking the line of regurgitating uninformed jobstian
presumption if you say to avoid something but can't reason why...

i'm just asking, what makes you so down on the cd rims? as i say, i've
ridden them for years, no problems.
Old October 6th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 2, 10:08*am, Jill wrote:

[...]

Correction:
Checked my hard copy Velocity catalog, 07-08.

For 700c rims:

The Escape is Black, MSW; Silver, non-MSW.

Drillings: 24, 28, 32h.

The Pro Elite: Black, MSW. Black also non-MSW; Gold and Bright Silver
both non-MSW.

Drillings, 28, 32, 36h.

--D-Y

Old August 15th 13, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, October 2, 2008 9:08:22 AM UTC-7, Jill wrote:
I'm a relatively light rider (~130 lbs), seeking your opinions on
aluminum tubular rims for cyclocross wheels.

Here are some options I've seen. Thanks in advance for your input on
these, or others that you recommend.

-- Mavic Reflex Silver
-- Mavic Reflex CD
-- Ambrosio Crono
-- Velocity Escape
-- others?

Jill Waggett

HED Belgiums or Velocity Major Tom are both excellent options